boisebomber
    Mar 2004

rear casette disintergrates

i have had 3 rear cassettes fail..once it was totally disintergrated (after 2 year use)

local bike shop replaced it but that cassette failed in less than 2 rides

the replacement for that failed in under 3 months

my question: are there bad parts out there...local bike shop said they gave me the best on market.

what gives?

(not that fast)
    what models were they? have any pictures?

boisebomber
    Mar 2004
    don't know the model..prbab;y shimanp..bike shop guy who is friend from bike club said he had never seen cassette disintergratee

replaced it ...had to replace the replacement

he started getting a little less 'knowlegable'

All fat, all the time.
    Did you replace the chain at all during that time? Keep the drivetrain clean & lubed?
    2 years is a decent amount of time for a cassette, depending how much you ride....

ebnash
    Disintergrates? Please elaborate on the specific failure. Do you use all of your gears? WHat kind of conditions do you ride in? Is their signifigant misalignment issues with your rear deraileur? Do you do regular maintenance? (I clean and lube my chain every 2-3 rides in dusty/dirty conditions.

Hard to believe a new cassette failed after 2 rides if it was installed properly with a new chain.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've usually stuck with shimano cassettes and they lasted about a year, I had to replace them just due to drivetrain wear. On the other hand, I bought a high-end SRAM cassette once just to see if the grass was greener on the other side, I had a new chain at the time as well, and that cassette lasted about 3-4 months, it was pretty poor and the shifting just wasn't as nice as with a shimano cassette. I always buy the XT cassettes these days (either that or Ultegra
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

boisebomber
    Mar 2004
    what happened with first casette is that bike shop disassembeled it and the the thing was in pieces...bike repair guy said he had never seen that before

then he gave me 2 new casesttes...as i said one lasedt less than 3 rides and the next less than 3 months

re; chains, etc...nope i did nothing.....

i gave him the rear wheel and kept bike so there were no adjustements to chain et,. al.

i asked repairman if that was the problem and he said no.

so i was wondering if there were a parts quality problem or is this guy just poorly informed.

can you recomend replacement cassette or even entire wheel/

boisebomber
    Mar 2004
    re; how it disintegrated.....ball bearing were loose and the races that held them in place were broken. he opened up cassette and the bits jsut fell out.

i admit i am not that big on cleaning , maintenance etc....
    but having the thing fail in three rides???

current failure is 3 months of intermitten riding in mountain west..no mud, rain; just dust

is there a record of manufacturing problems that any one is aware of ...and can you reco a replacement that will last a year or two

ebnash
    If the chainwheels on the cranks are not excessively worn, I would install an XT cassette and an XTR chain and have the derailleurs tuned/adjusted.

If your front chainwheels have excessive wear, replace them as well. Your original equipment lasted the longest becasue they were all new and wore in together. The original cassette probably went to pieces because of neglect to clean dirt and contaminants and relube on a regular basis, although I agree with the above poster that 2 years is pretty good depending how many miles and where you ride.

Your rear derailleur cogs are probably toast as well

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by boisebomber
    re; how it disintegrated.....ball bearing were loose and the races that held them in place were broken. he opened up cassette and the bits jsut fell out.
    There are no ball bearings in a cassette. Perhaps you have a 6, 7 or 8 speed freewheel?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Pictures of the offeding item please!

It makes diagnosis and potential fixes a lot easier.

(not that fast)
    by "cassette", do you mean "hub" ?

boisebomber
    Mar 2004

thick as two short planks

as my ex wife would say;

by cassette i meant hub.......

i have a 'experienced' rear wheel and new , but now broken hub...

what should i do ...replace wheel and cassette and hub ...

is the differincial wear on components the problem

i woul have expected the bike repair guy to explain that to me!

g3h6o3
    "by cassette I meant hub"
    no wonder not a single person understood. So what exactly does disintegrate in your hub??? Does it loosen? Does it stop rolling? Do your ball bearings flatten? Does it creak?

Man don't expect any help if you can't be clearer...
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Moderator Moderator
    I've seen inexpensive hubs fail with alarming frequency. Ride them hard and tolerances are so poor they will disintegrate in the manner you described, Yes even after 3 rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Looks like you're also experiencing post fail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    what kind of hubs are they?

mtbr member
    Is this the hub failing, or the freehub? The freehub is the mechanism that causes the clicking sound when you coast. On cheaper hubs, the freehub can be a separate and replaceable sealed unit full of needle bearings. It simply screws onto the hub body. I've seen cheap freewhubs get destroyed pretty quickly with heavier guys riding them.

:\ ping of death
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

AZ
    banned
    Whole thread is a FAIL.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous
    OMG that animation was awful!!!! It looked like the dude exploded into a sh!tload of bees.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    i hate it when my stuff just disintegrates into thin air.

Singletrack Slayer
    Sounds like you need a better quality mechanic and bike. Your lack of information is not going to help you out if you don't know the difference between a hub/ freehub body/ cassette/ or a freewheel.

A picture would be great.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    don't know the model..prbab;y shimanp..bike shop guy who is friend from bike club said he had never seen cassette disintergratee

replaced it ...had to replace the replacement

he started getting a little less 'knowlegable'

The solution is simple. Stop getting cassettes made out of shrimp. Cassettes made out of cheese should work fine.

Professional Crastinator
    If your actual cogs "disintegrated" I can't explain it...
    If your freehub "disintegrated" it is very unusual. Usually the ratchet will just stop working because the pawls all broke off. You will not see this because they are internal - unless it actually "disintegrated".
    If your hub bearings "disintegrated" in a short time it is likely that your axle is bent. Your bike shop really should have caught that if that's the case.

-F

mtbr member
    what happened with first casette is that bike shop disassembeled it and the the thing was in pieces...bike repair guy said he had never seen that before

then he gave me 2 new casesttes...as i said one lasedt less than 3 rides and the next less than 3 months

re; chains, etc...nope i did nothing.....

i gave him the rear wheel and kept bike so there were no adjustements to chain et,. al.

i asked repairman if that was the problem and he said no.

so i was wondering if there were a parts quality problem or is this guy just poorly informed.

can you recomend replacement cassette or even entire wheel/
    Probably someone else wrote this, but cassette issues are indictive of a problem with the entire drivetrain.

If you had severe problems with a cassette, I would inspect the chain, the chainrings, the rear derailleur, even frame and wheel alignment.

All of these parts work together, so if one goes bad, inevitably all of them have a problem.

At least I would have sold you a new chain, so the fact that he didn't do it, really is telling about his mechanic skills.

mtbr member
    One more thing, I think what failed was your freehub.

This is where more education is required.

The cassette, your rear cogs basically, mount to a freehub.

Years ago, we used to use freewheels, which was the ratching system and the cogs combined, and it screwed on to the hub.

Now we use freehubs, which contains the ratching unit, which mounts onto the hub shell. The cassette mounts onto the freehub. The freehub system is lighter and more reliable than freewheels, which is why all new geared bikes use a freehub.

Most rear hubs are Shimano, and there is only two or three models of freehub which are interchangable with most of their hubs. So there is no "real quality" difference between freehubs.

However, if you are having lots of problems with your freehub, the solution is obvious: replace the entire back wheel.

The reason why your mechanic is relucant to mention it is that getting a quality replacement can be expensive. A decent XT hub/Mavic 717 is about $300.

And if your just replace the wheel with a similar quality one, you could have the exactly the same kind of problem.

Its got what plants crave
    This thread brought to you buy Babelfish.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    I agree with Sanjuro, except one thing. I wouldn't get an XT hub because the freehubs for Shimano (deore, LX, XT, and last I knew, XTR) are interchangeable. I put an LX on my Deore hub last time and have another for backup. I go through one a year, sometimes two. Shimano hubs aren't the best quality anymore. Every company is bound to have failures, but their hubs aren't all that reliable anymore. I have replaceable cassette body's (same thing as Freehubs) for mine in my toolbox.
    Hubbard Bike Club

Its got what plants crave
    Shimano freehubs are GARBAGE. I couldn't tell you how many of those I replaced on my XT hubs I used to run.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Members who have read this thread: 0