mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Rear brake problems??

Well got the bike back from the shop after a tune up.. Headed down the trail squeezed the back brakes and just kept going... So tightened the cable set out again still no brakes...I mean they barely slow me down...So retighten the brakes and noticed quite a few broken strands on the cable...

Short vs... In order to get the rears to lock up I need to tighten the cable to the point the pads touch the rims...(the pads look good) wondering if the cable could be stretching..??

Can the cable be stretching not allowing the brakes to lock up.???

Not sure if it makes a difference.. But I'm a big guy..(6ft ,265lbs)

Thoughts and opinions please...

Thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I would check the pads first to see if they are toed-in too much or too little. Check pad and brake surface condition on the rim. Then check cable housings. If there are many strands broke I would just replace the cable (and housings).

It is a common misconception that cables stretch. It is actually just the housings compressing over time that makes your brakes and derailluers go haywire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Cable housing looks great... The pads are aligned and have plenty of meat left ...

I swear it seems like the cable pulls tight.. Then just stretches...

Nickel Havr
    Any contamination (lube,degreaser) on the pads or rotors?
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Something that crossed my mind earlier was possibly a leverage ratio adjustment on you brake lever. I don't believe it would make that much of a difference,if someone fiddled with it, but I have seen crazier things.

Are all of the housing ends there?

What?
    My guess is the cable wasnt tightened properly to the brakes. So when you pull the brake lever, the cable slips through the bolt that holds to cable to the brake caliper.

mtbr member
    If you just paid for a tune up and something doesn't work, DONT FIDDLE WITH IT. Take it back to the shop and have them fix it. If you completely change things its not likely they will set it all back up for you for free.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well took it back to the bike shop...they put on a new cable,changed the pads. And scuffed the rim with scotch bright... Bike stops a lot better....not as good as the front brakes.... But at least it slows me down some...

They really couldn't explain why the front locks up so easy... But the rear barely catches...

Any more thoughts ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    rear brakes are NEVER as good as front brakes... and there are a LOT of variables...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cautery View Post
    rear brakes are NEVER as good as front brakes... and there are a LOT of variables...
    Can you elaborate what do you mean by "variables" here?
    what do you say about it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    OP, take this to the BRAKE FORUM. That is what it is there for. No offense intended but this place is getting to the point that any and every topic gets posted here. Brake Q, what camel back, which "AM" cassette, etc.
    This forum is supposed to be about hardcore riding. It is turning into the beginners forum. There is a reason I don't read that forum... now I have a reason not to read this forum now.

Sorry for the rant but there are sub forums for a reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    try cleaning the rims with brake cleaner a few times after ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sorry for the delay; my junk filter was grabbing the MTBR update notifications...

Biggest variable is the difference in cable lengths... The longer the cable, the more potential for slack and cable stretch... and casing flex...

Loner cable/cable housing increases drag and friction, making the brake feel sloppier.

As you brake, momentum puts your weight forward and onto/over the front wheel... weighting it and increasing the downward vector through the footprint of the front tire contact patch... This increases the total friction, thus improving braking...

On the rear, it is just the reverse... As your weight shifts forward above the vertical CG, it tends to reduce the downward force on the rear wheel contact patch, which reduces the total friction, thus reducing potential braking power (due to the reduced break-away force required to begin a skid).

Etc, etc...

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    OP, take this to the BRAKE FORUM. That is what it is there for. No offense intended but this place is getting to the point that any and every topic gets posted here. Brake Q, what camel back, which "AM" cassette, etc.
    This forum is supposed to be about hardcore riding. It is turning into the beginners forum. There is a reason I don't read that forum... now I have a reason not to read this forum now.

Sorry for the rant but there are sub forums for a reason.
    Amen to this!!! The All Mountain forum catches everything.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Get good quality ones