mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Raceface next R?

So I知 getting a new (to me) Guerilla Gravity Smash which comes with RF Next R crankset and 800mm Next R bars. I知 260 and 7ft and ride pretty aggressively (dropping up to 6-8 feet, depending if diving board or not, up to medium sized gaps/doubles). Some of my favorite rides have nice gnarly rock gardens, which I like to try to smash through. (Harhar)

My instinct is to try to sell the carbon stuff and get new, burlier, cheaper aluminum equivalents (maybe RF Atlas), and try to sell off the carbon. Seems like I could theoretically come out a little ahead with this strategy...

Am I being too cautious? Does carbon have decent resale value? (Under 100 miles and no crashes by first owners report).

This place needs an enema
    The market is so supersaturated right now that you don't get much for used stuff.

That said, given your height/weight and the way you've described riding, I think you're smart to consider going to burlier metal parts. You sit pretty far outside the design parameters for most average (or light) bikes/parts these days.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Awesome...thanks! I may try to swap those carbon parts over to one of the other two bikes I知 gonna try to sell...maybe more valuable in that context...El Cap/Zeus and a Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yeah, Mikesee has some solid advice. Some mid level metal parts will probably prove to be more trustworthy.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sram carbon cranks are great. Can't recommend the same for RF, maybe the "R" is better, but I wouldn't spend my money on it yet.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Raceface Turbine cranks are about as light as they come in alloy and don't cost much at all.

mtbr member
    The Next R bars are their "AM/Enduro" bars. They're probably rebranded SixC bars. They should be plenty stout. They certainly feel more stout than my alloy Deity blacklabel bars.

Yeet so hard
    Your height is outside the norm, but I am not sure if your weight is. I would check into the Clydesdale forum and ask them. I guarantee there are some heavyweights riding carbon.

EDIT: A quick scan of the Clydes front page shows threads like "Looking for a bike 300#", "Trail riding at 400#". I would def poke around in there before spending $.

I am at 215 geared and love the next R bars on my smash fwiw.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

Whiskey Alpha
    Mar 2018
    The "R" components (Next R, Turbine R, etc) from Race Face to my knowledge are the Easton components that came over after the transition. I trust Easton way more than I trust Race Face. Everything I'm putting on my bike is "R".

mtbr member
    Some riders had some issues with the Next R crankset where rhe spindle attaches.
    It happened to mine Next SL as well. I believe there was some disbonding going on. I am a light rider, 140lbs...
    Anyway, the R has a stronger pedal insert (SLs had issues here as well) than SL, but the spindle locking ring is the same...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Oh, So Interesting!
    I'd keep the bar and get rid of the cranks.

I have both on my new Slash, the crankarm pedal threads separated, RF did warranty them but I got turbine arms instead. I have a pair of Next R 170mm arms if anyone wants 'em.

Bars seem great so far, aluminum bars hurt my hands...

mtbr member
    I'm (only?) ~200lbs and would never run Next cranks/bars... If I was your weight I'd prob go straight to Saint for cranks (length etc considered) and SixC for bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    I'm (only?) ~200lbs and would never run Next cranks/bars...
    He's not, they're Next R.

I値l take those 170痴. Send PM?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    He's not, they're Next R.
    He's much heavier then I, and ALL the Next stuff is lighter duty then what I'd personally run... which was my point. Maybe you have some actual insight aside from nitpicking my post?

mtbr member
    He's much heavier then I, and ALL the Next stuff is lighter duty then what I'd personally run... which was my point. Maybe you have some actual insight aside from nitpicking my post?
    The Next R bars' listed weight is 5g higher than the SixC bars you mentioned. They're either the same bar with different paint or there is some small difference in carbon layup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've been hammering my Next R carbon cranks for over 1,000 miles this season and they've been solid in every way. Very stiff and very strong.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I've been hammering my Next R carbon cranks for over 1,000 miles this season and they've been solid in every way. Very stiff and very strong.
    Do you weigh 260lbs and take 6-8 foot drops?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrashbarg View Post
    No, I weigh a 190 lbs and do 6-8 foot drops.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    I am #240 and have had no issues with the NEXT R crank and bars. Love them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    I am #240 and have had no issues with the NEXT R crank and bars. Love them.
    But do you take 6-8 foot drops

mtbr member
    I知 currently running Race Face R cranks (6 months now) without issue. Perhaps foolishly on my part, these were a replacement to my 2+ year old SL痴 that served me well, but eventually developed the dreaded loose pedal insert syndrome. Luckily I noticed this in my garage before catastrophic failure on the trail took place.

I知 64, 240, and am an aggressive trail rider....but at 56 years old, I知 definitely not getting anywhere near 6-8 foot drops. I definitely agree you should go with something more robust. Cranks are a critical component, and I致e already experienced a weakness with these.

mtbr member
    But do you take 6-8 foot drops
    No, only 3-4 foot drops. :{

locked - time out
    Nov 2016
    I'm not sure drops to transitions, if that's what you're discussing, is what kills a crank arm. I'd wager blasting rock gardens at speed puts more force into the pedals.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm (only?) ~200lbs and would never run Next cranks/bars... If I was your weight I'd prob go straight to Saint for cranks (length etc considered) and SixC for bars.

hmmm they work fine for me at 200.... Nose cased a 47'er last year hard enough to break my scapula but cranks and bars were fine. In my experience my carbon has stood up to more abuse than my aluminum. I think my avatar is bigger than 6-8' on Next cranks/bars as well. I have about 800 miles on them on my GG.

Also, Next SL are XC cranks, Next R are enduro/dh.

I may have a brand new set of Atlas or Turbine (can't remember) cranks lying around if you really want to swap. I took them off to go with Next R
    Instagram

Denver, CO

Mojo Wheels | DirtLabs Suspension | Honey Stinger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    hmmm they work fine for me at 200.... Nose cased a 47'er last year hard enough to break my scapula but cranks and bars were fine. In my experience my carbon has stood up to more abuse than my aluminum. I think my avatar is bigger than 6-8' on Next cranks/bars as well.Also, Next SL are XC cranks, Next R are enduro/dh.
    My personal choice is to go overbuilt vs potentially underbuilt as it one less thing to worry about. Whatever works for you... but are you saying you recommend Next (cranks in particular) for a guy who's 270 and riding aggressively?

mtbr member
    My personal choice is to go overbuilt vs potentially underbuilt as it one less thing to worry about. Whatever works for you... but are you saying you recommend Next (cranks in particular) for a guy who's 270 and riding aggressively?
    I think everyones definition of "aggressive" is different. At 270lbs and riding my version of "aggressive" a lot of things are going to break before the cranks do... like 29" wheels, frames, tires, suspension, etc. It doesn稚 seem like those parts are a concern to the OP though. I believe a call to Race Face would be better than asking a bunch of randoms on a message forum. They don't list a weight limit which leads me to believe they will be fine. I've never seen carbon cranks fail catastrophically either but I've twisted spindles on chromoly Profile's before. In the end everything on your bike is a wear item... some just need replacing more frequently than others. So to answer your question, if I didn稚 have anything to begin with maybe I wouldn稚 opt for carbon but if I already had them I壇 definitely ride them. I would be more worried about properly torquing controls on carbon bars because I have seen them catastrophically fail!

Also, my Smash weighs 36lbs as a race bike. You can go overkill and still have carbon cranks and bars hence the "enduro" rating.
    Instagram

Denver, CO

Mojo Wheels | DirtLabs Suspension | Honey Stinger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I think everyones definition of "aggressive" is different. At 270lbs and riding my version of "aggressive" a lot of things are going to break before the cranks do... like 29" wheels, frames, tires, suspension, etc. I believe a call to Race Face would be better than asking a bunch of randoms on a message forum. They don't list a weight limit which leads me to believe they will be fine. I've never seen carbon cranks fail catastrophically either but I've twisted spindles on chromoly Profile's before.Also, my Smash weighs 36lbs as a race bike. You can go overkill and still have carbon cranks and bars hence the "enduro" rating.
    I agree with most your saying. Despite a varying perspective on "aggressive", coming up short on an 8' drop at 270 has got to put the bike in a world of hurt. FWIW, a buddy (around 200lbs) had a catastrophic failure of Next crank a couple months ago... split down it's length with pedal flopping being held on by strands. From what I recall, he came up slightly short on nothing of substance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh, So Interesting!
    IMO, running flat pedals is the biggest issue with carbon cranks as they are usually much longer vs clips and when you hit the outside of a flat pedal against a rock it puts too much force into the pedal threads.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    I'm not sure drops to transitions, if that's what you're discussing, is what kills a crank arm. I'd wager blasting rock gardens at speed puts more force into the pedals.

Definitely transition...trying not to do too much to flat especially if I知 not on my DH Bike w 26 inch wheels....

Moving back to SoCal soon, so lots of rock gardens in this bike痴 future

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    IMO, running flat pedals is the biggest issue with carbon cranks as they are usually much longer vs clips and when you hit the outside of a flat pedal against a rock it puts too much force into the pedal threads.
    Foot size probably as well..18s for me. More foot lateral to pedal with longer lever arm....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you are set on carbon cranks I'd consider SixC. For alloy, maybe Hope. Or if you can stomach 104 BCD go Saint.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post

Moving back to SoCal soon, so lots of rock gardens in this bike痴 future
    Wait for it...

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    If you are set on carbon cranks I'd consider SixC. For alloy, maybe Hope. Or if you can stomach 104 BCD go Saint.
    I and others have broken SixC. And no, I知 not doing drops. 258lb, down to 208, riding chunky stuff, 4-5x/wk if the moons align. Saint or XT, IMO. I can稚 imagine any bike surviving 6-8 drops by the OP unless it痴 major overbuilt. Picture the Gronk on a bike flying downhill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    There's guys on this site who have broken 5, 6, 7 frames. I think it largely comes down to your riding style. Regardless of body weight, some people just seem to ride lighter on their bike than others (and vice versa).

mtbr member
    I think if you went with the Race Face stuff you壇 have a solid warranty. Just basing this on what I致e seen of my buddies experience with Race Face Next cranks, I致e never owned a Race Face product. He has broken 3 pairs and all have been replaced with no questions. Personally, I壇 prefer to have stuff that doesn稚 break, but Race Face does seem to stand behind their products.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:31 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    For carbon cranks, SRAM XX1 served me well, I bought X01 to replace them after an epic failure, but this is after lots of epic bashing and hits DH, racing, etc. I'd never consider RF Next for trail/enduro and I'd have a hard time being convinced for the Rs. Hopefully time proves them better.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    There's guys on this site who have broken 5, 6, 7 frames. I think it largely comes down to your riding style. Regardless of body weight, some people just seem to ride lighter on their bike than others (and vice versa).
    I致e broken more. But the frames are stronger and I知 lighter and older.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Not trying to be contrarian, but I have been riding RaceFace since purple Onza bar ends were a thang. SixC, Next, Turbine. Bars, cranks, stems. I have some sweet RaceFace clothing too. Jackets, shirts, hats. Current , vintage, and everything in between. Lots and lots and lots other shit too. Never a problem with anything. Zero. Nothing. But. Bliss.

For those of you who have spoken poorly of RaceFace, ye shall forever live a life of torment in the next biking life. Be forewarned...

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Not trying to be contrarian, but I have been riding RaceFace since purple Onza bar ends were a thang. SixC, Next, Turbine. Bars, cranks, stems. I have some sweet RaceFace clothing too. Jackets, shirts, hats. Current , vintage, and everything in between. Lots and lots and lots other shit too. Never a problem with anything. Zero. Nothing. But. Bliss.

For those of you who have spoken poorly of RaceFace, ye shall forever live a life of torment in the next biking life. Be forewarned...
    My old XY seatpost when it snapped almost took my nut sack off. Thank God I wasn稚 going down a single or double black diamond trail when the pedal snapped off my SixC crank. My Next SL and SixC cranks would loosen periodically during rides. My back in the day Turbine chainrings would wear quickly and my shoes would hang up on the arms. You mean it gets worse?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    My old XY seatpost when it snapped almost took my nut sack off. Thank God I wasn稚 going down a single or double black diamond trail when the pedal snapped off my SixC crank. My Next SL and SixC cranks would loosen periodically during rides. My back in the day Turbine chainrings would wear quickly and my shoes would hang up on the arms. You mean it gets worse?...
    Not sure what to say. I have been on my bike in the mountains the last 11 of 12 days. I am leaving for Fernie tomorrow, so add another 4 to that. Multiply that by 20+ years. Riding as hard as I possibly can. Most of my buddies have been running RaceFace for a decade plus now. No issues. Ever. Maybe they have a different part spec for us Canadians.

I guess the question that I am left with is why, in the name of all things holy, have you continued to run so many RaceFace components if they keep breaking? And I suppose the other question that comes to mind is whether you have broken components from other brands as well.

Anyway, RaceFace is the brand of choice for the absolute best riders in my neck of the woods. Always has been. That痴 the truth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    For carbon cranks, SRAM XX1 served me well, I bought X01 to replace them after an epic failure, but this is after lots of epic bashing and hits DH, racing, etc. I'd never consider RF Next for trail/enduro and I'd have a hard time being convinced for the Rs. Hopefully time proves them better.
    This^^ or if you want light and strong and dont need to run a ring smaller than 30t than get some XTR cranks. Aluminum but as light as a lot of carbon cranks.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    So I did a quick informal survey last night to see if I was imagining things. I contacted 5 of the best, most experienced, hardest charging riders I know. I asked them what cranks they are running on their go to trail bike. ALL OF THEM run RaceFace. NONE OF THEM have ever had a problem with anything RF. ZERO. Some, like me, have been going strong on RF for well over a decade. Most, like me, ride year round and have been doing so for years. Decades.

I understand that there were problems a while ago with one or more older batches of Nexts, with the pedal inserts cracking. My LBS, which is the largest brick and mortar bike shop in the world, as far as I know, did not see any any problems with them. There were some issues apparently in areas with higher rainfall, and otherwise more extreme climates than here. That is what they suspect may account for the regional difference in the problems for the older batch(es) of SLs, although it largely remains a bit of a mystery. In any event, RF addressed the issue in a professional manner, and it's now no more than historical. There are no remaining issues.

I generally buy Canadian bikes. A lot of the higher end spec'ed Canadian bikes already come with a lot of RF components. Most do in fact.

I suppose if you are a heavy rider (I'm not necessarily talking about body weight), RF are obviously not the most robust products. But for me and others, they are light, strong, and not overbuilt, all of which is ideal.

The comments at this thread are shocking to me. I have to believe that these are isolated incidents. They are 100% inconsistent with my experience and I have been riding RF pretty much year round in western Canada now for 25+ years. Obviously SLs are not a good choice for park or shuttle riding, but that should be obvious. There are other RF products better suited for problems arising from hucking to flat, casing and other mishaps.

I honestly don't know what else to say. For those who don't need anything more robust, RF is a kick ass product, and has been for literally decades.

So I did a quick informal survey last night

You seem to have trouble grasping the concept that not everyone has had your experience. In fact some have had quite the opposite.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    You seem to have trouble grasping the concept that not everyone has had your experience. In fact some have had quite the opposite.
    Thanks.

You seem to have trouble grasping the concept of isolated incidents.

I am trying to add a little balance to the drive-by smearing that has occurred here.

Thanks.

I am trying to add a little balance to the drive-by smearing that has occurred here.

Hundreds of incidents =/= "isolated".

No one's smearing here. A large, aggressive rider asked for opinions and people are sharing them. Including you. Yours is just as valid of a data point as any other, but you keep trying to interject it in such a way as to make it more.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Hundreds of incidents =/= "isolated".

No one's smearing here. A large, aggressive rider asked for opinions and people are sharing them. Including you. Yours is just as valid of a data point as any other, but you keep trying to interject it in such a way as to make it more.
    Okay. Fair enough. To the extent I did, apologies for coming across in less than an objective, respectful manner. Nothing but good intentions at my end.

As an aside, and not to be difficult, but do you have some reliable basis for your suggestion that there have been hundreds of incidents with RF components?

FWIW, IMHO the Next R line is the optimal choice for most folks (but not the OP) looking for a reasonably robust (but not lightest) trail choice. YMMV.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Just to clarify, I知 still running my RF cranks, albeit with RWC BBs. The carbon cranks are noticeably stiffer and the weight savings is nice. The Next cranks are stiffer than the XO GXPs. Not sure about other versions. Parts can break. Part of mountain biking. Buy RF if it suits your needs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the responses. Just to be a little more on the safe side, I知 gonna put on some RF Atlas cranks and bar and try to sell the next Rs.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Just to be a little more on the safe side, I知 gonna put on some RF Atlas cranks and bar and try to sell the next Rs.
    If I were you I would call RaceFace and run this past them. I have called them before and they have always been very happy to address my questions.

Otherwise it sounds like you may end up losing some serious cash trying to dump the Next Rs.

For what it痴 worth, I just spent the evening shredding some of Fernie痴 finest with my Next R crank, Next R bar and Turbine stem. Not only did I survive but that shit was stellar. The Next R stuff is awesome. A great balance of weight and strength.

mtbr member
    If I were you I would call RaceFace and run this past them. I have called them before and they have always been very happy to address my questions.

Otherwise it sounds like you may end up losing some serious cash trying to dump the Next Rs.

For what it痴 worth, I just spent the evening shredding some of Fernie痴 finest with my Next R crank, Next R bar and Turbine stem. Not only did I survive but that shit was stellar. The Next R stuff is awesome. A great balance of weight and strength.
    For fvcks sake, it's as if RF is your religion or political ideology.

locked - time out
    Nov 2016
    For fvcks sake, it's as if RF is your religion or political ideology.
    Heavily invested in the parent company?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    *deleted*

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    The loyalty is fierce. As it is with most serious Canadian bikers, especially those who have been biking for over 20 years. RaceFace has been there since the very beginning. Part of the local fabric. The components offered by RaceFace have always been among the best available. If you are breaking them continually, well, I guess that kinda sucks. For you, not them. For the rest of the biking world, me included, RaceFace makes badass stuff. Light and kick ass.

If you don稚 like my loyalty, then maybe try ignoring my posts. Or attack the product, but not me. Otherwise, well, you know.

locked - time out
    Nov 2016
    Or attack the product, but not me. Otherwise, well, you know.
    People tried that. No one attacked you. A couple of people expressed exasperation with you but did not attack you.

Eat ****, what you originally posted is an attack. Commenting on zealot like behavior, not an attack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Not sure what to say.
    I honestly don't know what else to say.
    Thanks.

Hey buds, maybe take about 10 to 15% off there.

You seem to have trouble grasping the concept of others having different experiences compared to yours. You also appear to have some vested interest in RF Components. Is your shop Calgary Cycle?

Anyway, the RF crank arm spindle seems like a neat idea. Take your (warranty replacement) cranks to a new frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    People tried that. No one attacked you. A couple of people expressed exasperation with you but did not attack you.

Eat ****, what you originally posted is an attack. Commenting on zealot like behavior, not an attack.

Not sure how my original post is an attack. I actually own 6c stuff so... As far as parent company goes - ya fvck Fox and their incompetent service dept, but that has nothing to do with my opinions related to he OP痴 needs.

locked - time out
    Nov 2016
    Not sure how my original post is an attack. I actually own 6c stuff so... As far as parent company goes - ya fvck Fox and their incompetent service dept, but that has nothing to do with my opinions related to he OP痴 needs.
    Oh I got it. No, not at you. The individual I quoted originally said eat s*** and then changed it to deleted.

All fat, all the time.
    I'm on my 3rd set of warranty rf next cranks....I'm 165 geared up and don't do 6' drops.
    Rf had major design issues with these cranks, and warranty is a pain Everytime

mtbr member
    We池e these earlier releases of RF Next cranks?

I致e got 2 sets both bought in mid-2017 and have had zero issues.

Some pretty good abuse too.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm in BC and warranty has been great, Next SL and G4 cranks not so much. I had 2 sets of Next SLs and I lost count of how many times they were warrantied. The G4s they gave me faired no better. I got 2 sets of Next Rs as warranty replacements over the winter and they have been good so far.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I'm in BC and warranty has been great, Next SL and G4 cranks not so much. I had 2 sets of Next SLs and I lost count of how many times they were warrantied. The G4s they gave me faired no better. I got 2 sets of Next Rs as warranty replacements over the winter and they have been good so far.
    ***unrelated***

TB - later this month we will be out to blast some some stuff on the Island. Accommodations are locked down. Tried to PM you but your in-box is full. Please PM me. Thanks.