long standing member

Race Face Evolve AM stem, anyone got one?

Or even seen one? It's this one. I've got a 70mm RF Evolve DH stem, which I like, but I'm looking to get something a little longer, probably 90 or 100mm and I don't want to get a XC-style stem. I'm just wondering how beefy this AM model is. I'm also looking to pay less than the $50 that Speedgoat is charging, I picked my DH stem for less than $40. Maybe I should just spring for a Thomson?

Trophy Husband
    If you need a 25.4, maybe you should try this:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...R-200-Stem.htm
    Extreme stationary biker.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    If you need a 25.4, maybe you should try this:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...R-200-Stem.htm
    Good suggestion, but I neglected to mention that I do need a 31.8 clamp. Although it does have some negative reviews, specifically issues with the face plate cracking. This one would be good if it came in 90mm. Oh well.

Trophy Husband
    I just ordered the FR220 today, although in the 70mm size. I also ordered a 31.8 Pro Taper to go with it.

long standing member
    I just ordered the FR220 today, although in the 70mm size. I also ordered a 31.8 Pro Taper to go with it.
    Nice. I've got the RF Diabolus rider bars and I'm loving the full 28" width. I couldn't go back to a narrower bar at this point.

mtbr member
    i had the evolve am stem and couldnt wait to change its really skinny and flexy.

shame they dont do a longer diabolus stem as thats what im running with the same bars as you.

i think thompson would be your best bet although i have never owned one myself.

i had a fsa fr220 stem and never suffered any problems with it,just couldnt understand why they had skinny bolts,nice stem though.

mtbr member
    Syncros FR may be worth a look, make that Syncros AM!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by konut
    i had the evolve am stem and couldnt wait to change its really skinny and flexy.

shame they dont do a longer diabolus stem as thats what im running with the same bars as you.

i think thompson would be your best bet although i have never owned one myself.

i had a fsa fr220 stem and never suffered any problems with it,just couldnt understand why they had skinny bolts,nice stem though.
    Yeah, I just picked up a FR230 75mm 31.9 stem, it's only 210g (the 90mm is probably 230g?).

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbhermit
    Syncros FR may be worth a look, make that Syncros AM!
    I found prices of $57 to $70 for the Syncros AM. I can pick up a Thomson X-4 for $65, and the Thomson would likely be a better quality product.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    I can pick up a Thomson X-4 for $65, and the Thomson would likely be a better quality product.
    I wouldnt consider anything else. I may have something coming in the next week or so (depending on prices) and if you want we could combine shipping and save a few bucks. Just guess.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    I found prices of $57 to $70 for the Syncros AM. I can pick up a Thomson X-4 for $65, and the Thomson would likely be a better quality product.
    There have been a few reported issues of these cracking around the stem as well. I believe it was a thread in the Titus forum (if you dare going in there these days...sheesh) 7 or 8 months ago.

Edit: here it is.

Stem Failure Update

long standing member
    There have been a few reported issues of these cracking around the stem as well. I believe it was a thread in the Titus forum (if you dare going in there these days...sheesh) 7 or 8 months ago.

Edit: here it is.

Stem Failure Update
    I'm risking it. I've got a Thomson (90mm, 10* rise) on order, I'll post if I have any issues. The Thomson will be my "everyday riding" stem. I'm still gonna use my Race Face DH stem for dedicated FR/DH days. Thanks for the input, guys.

And yeah, lately the Titus forum's been rowdier than the Turner forum. Must be something in the Kool-aid? Oh, wait, that's the Homers that have the Kool-aid. Makes for entertaining reading, at least.

mtbr member
    Thomson is definitely a better work of engineering and a more refined design. There are things I like about the syncros FR though (which I'm running at the moment instead of a 90mm Thomson X4).
    Syncros doesn't seem to state any torque specs, one less thing to worry about (if the thomson was to fail & you didn't use a torque wrench?). Other things I did like about it was the bigger allen bolts and higher steerer clamp as well.
    But certainly it's not as pretty and the face plate doesn't square up like Thomson, it is also heavier.
    I must say if thomson had a closed clamp around the steerer I would like it more, I never did get used to the open steerer clamp design - just look like a weak point.
    But looks aren't everything - apart from the above mentioned thread I haven't heard of too many failures, and even though it's expensive Thomson is pretty common out there.