Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Quick Full Sustension Tunning Question

705 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Grouper 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Im starting to dial in my xc bike's suspension. Right now im setting the sag at 20% for for the front and rear. Iv got them both dialed in pretty close. The rear shock is at 7.5mm (about 105 psi) and the front is at 20mm (70psi)

My question is:

Is it normal when I start to get off the bike, I notice the rear suspension will rise up, like un weight, befor the front. There not rising, or de compressing at the same time. Is this anything to worry about?

Thanks for any help everyone, Looking forward to hitting the trails this morning!

#3 ·
sounds like you need more rebound damping at the back.

Try this.

Bounce down on your saddle, can you lift your butt off the seat before it bounces back? If not add more rebound damping ( red dial on Fox and Rockshox, blue on Manitou)

For the forks. Push down hard, can you lift your hands away (just) from the bars before the fork returns. Most riders run the rear slower than the front, that way you won't get bucked over obstacles.

#4 ·
thanks for the link. I ended up heading out into the yard, and pumped up the shock/fork untill they felt like they were at the right "stiffness" for my riding syle and weight. It feels good, and the previously problum has been solved.
Is this a bad thing? The psi are far far from the shocks/forks, max. It was between 10-40 psi higher than they were set. (I dont remember which one took more.) It was probly the front.
But yea, Feels good, But now my sag is probly not going to be within the "proper" specs. Should I be Worried?

#6 ·
Nice thing about setting the 'sag' is you can do it in your living room and gives you a good place to start from before hitting the trail.
You'll still need to get out on the trail and see how it feels. If it is bottoming out or feels like it is wollowing, go up a few higher PSI. If you're not getting enough travel or feels like it is too stiff, drop it a few PSI.

#10 ·
Ok, Tomorow morning I will check the sag front and rear, since I have stiffend both ends up while out riding today. Hopefully the numbers will be close to recommended.
Ill post in the afternoon, In case anybody cares....
Man im really excited about my new bike! Its bringing on a whole new love for riding! And ive anly had it 2 days!
Thanks everyone!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.