Thread: Pushing a pike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Pushing a pike

I have an older coil uturn pike (should be a 454). Is it worth getting a PUSH tune over the stock tune that they do?

I have no idea the service history of the fork since it was bought used. I do know that the mission control is no longer adjusting (feels like its missing a detent ball or something). Otherwise the only issue I have right now is that its making some weird creaking/squeaking noise when compressed.

Thoughts?
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    It was Motion Control back then and they are very easy to service yourself. I have the PUSH version but with the U-turn air which really needed mid stroke help. Your coil version doesn't IMHO. The funny noise is the coil hitting against the insides of the stanchion. A thick coat of grease will quiet it right down (important part of service for that fork). Just replace the seals, new oil and grease the spring - will be like new (provided the bushings aren't worn out).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I thought that it might be the coil, just sounded a little weird. Do you just give it a good coat of slick honey, or what grease do you prefer to use.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Slick honey works but is expensive. I just use some thick marine grease in a tub - works great and lasts longer!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!