mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Pumping Shocks with nitrogen.

I got a RP2 and i've read somewhere a while back that some people pump there shocks up with nitrogen instead of regular co2. It made there shock performance quicker when done. I know the shocks have nitrogen inside the shocks itself when its built, but my question is if i pump up the shocks with nitrogen with that improve anything? Anyone done this before?

mtbr member
    In most cases that I have heard of doing so, it was to eliminate the moisture and contaminants of air. Thus reduces the oxidizing and some of the wear to prolong service intervals. How important it proves to be in the average user's bike shock is yet to be proven to me in person however.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Huffy Rider
    CO2? All of the shocks I own are either "air" or nitrogen filled.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Air on the other side of the IFP (internal floating piston) is nitrogen. The air in the air spring is plain old air.

Huffy Rider
    Not on Fox DHX shocks, it is plain old air. On a Vanilla, yes, CCDB, yes.

mtbr member
    There are two reasons to use nitrogen instead of air. There isn't any water vapor or oxygen in nitrogen, which means that it is less corrosive. It is also less permeable, which means it doesn't pass through materials as easily. I always thought that it was basically the same as air, since air is 78% nitrogen and and 21% oxygen and nitrogen and oxygen molecules are basically the same size. But there are other factors that have to do with how the molecules react with the material that they are passing through. Water vapor also passes through materials easier. Regular air permeates through most materials almost twice as fast as nitrogen. Which is why that when they fill shocks at the factory they use nitrogen.

But for filling shocks and forks on a bike I wouldn't bother. I think I would fill tires with nitrogen before the suspension components.

Huffy Rider
    A test was recently conducted on a Formula 1 race car with air vs. nitrogen in the tires. The verdict: zero performance gain, in fact, the only gain was slower loss of tire pressure over many weeks. No need to waste your time, $$ and energy on nitrogen in your shocks.

Flies Higher
    Same reason we use nitrogen in struts and tires in aircraft. The larger molecules don't leak as fast as regular air.
    Learn to fly...

mtbr member
    Nitrogen changes volume less due to temp and pressure changes, and doesnt contain moisture, and leaks less, and is non flammable (very minor reason) these are the reasons why they use it on (high altitude) aircraft, and the alleged reasons they try to use it on cars unsuccessfully, the reason for the lack of success? no noticeable performance gains.

Will this actually make a difference on performance on a high performance bike shock? I dont know, realistically I guess it wont loose air as easily, but my shocks have never lost air with regular use being pumped with regular air via a shock pump. I dont think it'd be even remotely noticeable, plus pumping a shock wont be as easy as just using your shock pump at home...