Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Pulled the trigger on a Jekyll 2

Well, I pulled the trigger on a Jekyll, its a 2012 Jekyll 2 Carbon. I'm pretty stoked, now I just have to wait for the bike to ship, that sucks but im still stoked.while i was in the shop I weighed a medium, it came in at 29lb 3oz on the Park Tool digital scale in the store. I ordered a small (im 5'6 and the medium was just a bit too tall for me) so it should weigh just a bit less. Got a chance to ride the medium around the parking lot as well as a claymore, which was another bike I was looking at, I can say that there is a huge difference between the two, I wasnt really into the claymore, so I went with the Jekyll 2 instead. I will be adding a dropper seat post in the future as well, right now I need to figure out what pedals I want to run on this bike. The pictures of the medium I rode are attatched and include the weight of flat pedals borrowed from the shop.
    I was pretty excited to find that there where any 2012 jekylls left in the cannondale warehouse, 6 all told, one of them is MINE!
    When I get the bike in the box and all sorted and assembled I will write a review although I suspect that there are a few floating around here somewhere.
    I kind of want to go with a Kronolog seat post, the reverb seems pretty heavy to be slapping on a 30lb bike to begin with, any other suggestions?
    Im also looking for pedals, I need something fairly wide but with a cleat as I like to ride clipped in, again I was looking at a CB product, I know there will be some negative feedback on that but I have been riding CB products for a long time and never had a problem. I was thinking about the Candy 3 or Mallet 3, not sure.

-FreuderLocks
    Pulled the trigger on a Jekyll 2-wp_000146.jpg

Pulled the trigger on a Jekyll 2-wp_000147.jpg
    2010 Mosaic SS 29er
    2012 Cannondale Jekyll 2 Carbon

FreuderLocks is an S-TEC certified bike mechanic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    congrats,
    im a noob but why does that sound heavy for a carbon very expensive bike

undercover brother
    Very nice man. Pretty jealous right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davis119 View Post
    congrats,
    I was thinking the same thing. My Kona Tanuki came in at around 33 lbs in size 18 and it is less than a third of the price of the Jekyll.

I recently found out that 29lbs is not out of the ordinary for a high end All Mountain rig though. The 2013 Specialized Stumpy's are in the 27-28 pound range. I have seen published weights on Transition Coverts at around 30lbs.

Although I have never ridden the Jekyll, I am fairly confident that the overall performance will far outweigh any weight penalty that goes along with the bike. The carbon alone should make the bike very smooth on the chatters and I would guess the bike would be very stiff laterally.

With all that said, I would have expected a bike with a $5,000 msrp to be a little bit lighter than that. This also goes for many of the other bikes I have mentioned (Maybe not the Transitions)

Good luck with your purchase and please keep us updated on your new ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FreuderLocks View Post
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a Jekyll, its a 2012 Jekyll 2 Carbon. I'm pretty stoked, now I just have to wait for the bike to ship, that sucks but im still stoked.while i was in the shop I weighed a medium, it came in at 29lb 3oz on the Park Tool digital scale in the store. I ordered a small (im 5'6 and the medium was just a bit too tall for me) so it should weigh just a bit less. Got a chance to ride the medium around the parking lot as well as a claymore, which was another bike I was looking at, I can say that there is a huge difference between the two, I wasnt really into the claymore, so I went with the Jekyll 2 instead. I will be adding a dropper seat post in the future as well, right now I need to figure out what pedals I want to run on this bike. The pictures of the medium I rode are attatched and include the weight of flat pedals borrowed from the shop.
    I was pretty excited to find that there where any 2012 jekylls left in the cannondale warehouse, 6 all told, one of them is MINE!
    When I get the bike in the box and all sorted and assembled I will write a review although I suspect that there are a few floating around here somewhere.
    I kind of want to go with a Kronolog seat post, the reverb seems pretty heavy to be slapping on a 30lb bike to begin with, any other suggestions?
    Im also looking for pedals, I need something fairly wide but with a cleat as I like to ride clipped in, again I was looking at a CB product, I know there will be some negative feedback on that but I have been riding CB products for a long time and never had a problem. I was thinking about the Candy 3 or Mallet 3, not sure.
    The bike looks great! I'd personally run a set of quality flat pedals for a big bike

As far as drop post, I LOVE mine. You won't really notice the extra weight as much as you think, and I can't ride without mine for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Nandus View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. My Kona Tanuki came in at around 33 lbs in size 18 and it is less than a third of the price of the Jekyll.

I recently found out that 29lbs is not out of the ordinary for a high end All Mountain rig though. The 2013 Specialized Stumpy's are in the 27-28 pound range. I have seen published weights on Transition Coverts at around 30lbs.

Although I have never ridden the Jekyll, I am fairly confident that the overall performance will far outweigh any weight penalty that goes along with the bike. The carbon alone should make the bike very smooth on the chatters and I would guess the bike would be very stiff laterally.

With all that said, I would have expected a bike with a $5,000 msrp to be a little bit lighter than that. This also goes for many of the other bikes I have mentioned (Maybe not the Transitions)

Good luck with your purchase and please keep us updated on your new ride.
    My carbon Nomad with carbon wheels are around 30 lbs. There's nothing wrong with the weight as long as the build is justified with components with good strength-weight ratio.

74 & 29 pilot
    congrats,

Cause it is. My last carbon bike was a 2010 Trek Remedy 9.9 XL and it weighed less than 29 lbs with a 36/160, CB Iodine whls and 2.4/2.3 tires.

Their shock system weighs more than most.

Congrats and I hope you enjoy the hell out of it, but I hope your not paying 5k for it the way it is spec'd on the website. For that amount it should be X.0 or a mix of XT/XTR, better brakes and wheels. That is why I won't buy a complete bike anymore; Most of the time they are overpriced and under spec'd. JMO

New bike day is the best, HAVE FUN!
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    May 2010
    congrats,
    The rear shock has something to do with it (almost double the weight of the fox rp23, but its also got 2 air chambers), also considering much of the bike excluding the frame is aluminum (multiple axles and bearing sets at the pivot points instead of bolts), remember this is a 2x10, not a single ring crank. Plus that weight includes tubes in tubeless ready tires and heavy flat pedals I borrowed in the place of lighter clipless pedals. I think the weight is very reasonable considering what the bike offers in terms of ride and capabilities on the trail.
    -FreuderLocks
    2010 Mosaic SS 29er

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Cause it is. My last carbon bike was a 2010 Trek Remedy 9.9 XL and it weighed less than 29 lbs with a 36/160, CB Iodine whls and 2.4/2.3 tires.

Their shock system weighs more than most.

Congrats and I hope you enjoy the hell out of it, but I hope your not paying 5k for it the way it is spec'd on the website. For that amount it should be X.0 or a mix of XT/XTR, better brakes and wheels. That is why I won't buy a complete bike anymore; Most of the time they are overpriced and under spec'd. JMO

New bike day is the best, HAVE FUN!
    Less than $3k before shipping, factory clearance is freakin awesome...(especially when you work in a bike shop.)
    -FreuderLocks
    2010 Mosaic SS 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The rear shock has something to do with it (almost double the weight of the fox rp23, but its also got 2 air chambers), also considering much of the bike excluding the frame is aluminum (multiple axles and bearing sets at the pivot points instead of bolts), remember this is a 2x10, not a single ring crank. Plus that weight includes tubes in tubeless ready tires and heavy flat pedals I borrowed in the place of lighter clipless pedals. I think the weight is very reasonable considering what the bike offers in terms of ride and capabilities on the trail.
    -FreuderLocks
    i wasnt doubting the weight was reasonable.... i justy always thought when you saw carbon and a high end brand = light...... that seems like a decnt price also

edit: did you remove what you paid for it ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The pictures of the medium I rode are attatched and include the weight of flat pedals borrowed from the shop.
    Usually published weights are sans pedals, I'm going to guess this is the case with the remedy. Not only does that weight include pedals, but they appear to be rather chunky ones at that, so I'd say that your final build will come in at a respectable weight. Carbon isn't always used to simply reduce weight, either way you've got a nice ride there, enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i wasnt doubting the weight was reasonable.... i justy always thought when you saw carbon and a high end brand = light...... that seems like a decnt price also

edit: did you remove what you paid for it ?
    yes, instead I rounded it to something in the area of what I paid for it.

I thought the weight was a bit high myself, but considering how well its built (like a carbon tank) I can certainly live with it especially considering my Steel SS 29er comes in at around 3lbs less...
    -FreuderLocks
    2010 Mosaic SS 29er

74 & 29 pilot
    Less than $3k before shipping, factory clearance is freakin awesome...(especially when you work in a bike shop.)
    -FreuderLocks
    Oh NICE! Now that's more like it; SCORE!
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah I was extremely stoked about that! Now the wait for shipping begins, plus the 2 or 3 hours it will take me to build it. I still gotta figure out the pedal situation though, really thinking about the CB candy or the CB mallet, since I already have a set of eggbeaters on my ss and won't necessitate changing the cleats off my shoes, I just don't know which one to go with. Def going with the CB chronolog, hav some coworkers that love it and im right down the street from CB headquarters in case I have any problems with it.
    -FreuderLocks

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    2010 Mosaic SS 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've got the reverb on mine, as well as candy's. They have enough of a platform for me, if I'm going to be riding somewhere where I won't be comfortable clipped in 100% of the time I'll just swap to flats for the day.

mtbr member
    Yeah I was extremely stoked about that! Now the wait for shipping begins, plus the 2 or 3 hours it will take me to build it. I still gotta figure out the pedal situation though, really thinking about the CB candy or the CB mallet, since I already have a set of eggbeaters on my ss and won't necessitate changing the cleats off my shoes, I just don't know which one to go with. Def going with the CB chronolog, hav some coworkers that love it and im right down the street from CB headquarters in case I have any problems with it.
    -FreuderLocks

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Congrats. I've had the candy's the acids and mallets and like them all. Which one you get depends on what type of riding you're going to do but for good compromise seems like the acids would fit the bill.

I was a little surprised by the weight too. I hefted a new carbon Jekyll at the shop earlier this year and it felt stupid light (like 25-26#).

It had a msrp over $7000 so it may have had some super light components.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycagney View Post
    I thought about those but it seems that crank bros doesnt make them any more, plus theyre REALLY wide lol, I think ill go with the candy's, I get them for about the same price as the acids on sale. and im a small guy so the acids seem a bit overkill.

I ahve 9 more days to wait until I get my bike, let the torture begin, bleh.
    -FreuderLocks

Edit: In the meantime anyone want to post some pics of their Jekyll's?, please!?
    2010 Mosaic SS 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sure, here's my carbon-

pre dropper post

golden hour

self portrait

mtbr member
    it's all about frame weight, everything else is just about build. You could easily drop 2 pounds off that thing in a heart beat by going 1x10 and tubeless. My mojo HD with 180mm marz coil fork and dropper post is 31 lbs but I can handle all day downhill abuse.. I'm not impressed by light bikes anymore. Cuz on race day, I can swap some parts and be down to 27lbs... but it's not as fun on the trails..

by the way, why dont you just go with the xtr trail pedals? I love mine... the platform is perfect for all around riding and isn't so big it smashes off every rock but the platform offers really good support. they are pricey, but the xt's are way cheaper and your really not gaining much with the xtr's over the xt's...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

May contain nuts
    Lovely bikes, just don't let them fall over on hard objects...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pulled the trigger on a Jekyll 2-img_2088.jpg  

RideDirt
    Mountain Creek ?

Quote Originally Posted by jaycagney View Post
    Sure, here's my carbon-

pre dropper post

golden hour

self portrait

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Lovely bikes, just don't let them fall over on hard objects...
    Have you had a problem with yours? I dont see how dropping the bike could damage it much this carbon is really tough!
    -FreuderLocks
    2010 Mosaic SS 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Mountain Creek ?
    you bet, got out on the XC trails and green/blue/jump trails this week on the jekyll for the first time and it was super fun. not as forgiving if you mess up though as to be expected.

May contain nuts
    Have you had a problem with yours? I dont see how dropping the bike could damage it much this carbon is really tough!
    -FreuderLocks
    The owner did need a new seat stay after dinging it twice following minor get-offs. Cost of new stay was spastic.

derp
    Too bad i can't find any info about them and 650b, i have a pretty sweet deal for a jekyll 4 ( service bike, almost brand new ).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast