Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

PROTECTING a new frame

I want to gather some ideas on protecting bike frames from rocks, cable rub, and scuffs from leg armor, as well as chain slap. Things I've used before are lizard skins and cut tire tubes wrapped around chainstays, plus various stickers on areas of the frame and clear packaging tape on the downtube. The last two strategies weren't effective as the cables wore through the stickers and tape in a short time.

My last bike frame showed wear quickly from leg armor rub on the top tube and multiple points of wear from cable rub and in a few areas, the cable even began to wear through the aluminum creating a small depression in the tubing, creating a weak point in the frame.

Now I have several new frames and I want to do it right from the start. What have you done for protecting your frame and where did you get the parts. I'd like to know if there's any kind of felt wrap for cable housing to avoid frame wear.

Oh yes, crank arms scuffs and seat tube scuffs are an issue with me on top of all I've mentioned. Maybe my body is all out of alignment. Haha.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    honestly, i dont worry much about it, i mean its a mountain bike, go out and enjoy yourself and dont worry so much about the frame, if its not getting scratched/nicked your not enjoying yourself very much IMO
    I cant spell deal with it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I didn't worry about it in the past. Basically wore out bikes, but if certain things are avoidable, especially since I've spent over 4 grand on my last bike, then I want to care for it right. Believe me though, I've scratched and dented bikes plenty, and I'm not sensitive about it, but I don't want my frames to be destroyed unneccessarily.

mtbr member
    Jagwire does some great little cable/frame protectors…

Ride and Smile suckas
    Road bike bar tape is great stuff and its really easy to work with.
    I always use it on the rear triangle on my trail bikes. Way more durable than lizard skins and much cheaper too.

-Matt
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    I have never tried it, but I have heard that the fuzzy (loop) side of velcro works wonderfully for frame protection.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mcstumpy
    Road bike bar tape is great stuff and its really easy to work with.
    I always use it on the rear triangle on my trail bikes. Way more durable than lizard skins and much cheaper too.

-Matt
    This gives me another idea, maybe try tennis racquet grip wrap. It's durable and thick. Don't know if it's cheaper than road bike bar tape.

mtbr member
    I am another one that says fuggeddaboudet. Ride it like it's stolen (within reason) and don't worry about the scratches. They just add character. Plus when your stick get really beat up looking it is a good excuse to get a new frame! IMO there is nothing goofier than a bike with a bunch of protectors on it. Plus we all worry about weight (even if we say we don't), no reason to put a bunch of extra grams on it that don't do anything (ie faster, lighter, cooler).

Just my $.02
    Beer, a Pork Chop in every can!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    What I have done is this:

Go to a graphic/print/sign shop and ask them for clear vinyl tape with one sided adhesive. I once bought a 3"x40' roll for about $40. It has all the tape you will ever need and is somewhat stretchy and thick. That's what I would use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm not going to totally forget about it...my last frame had it's front triangle sent back to the manufacturer after 2 seasons of riding and upon their inspection, they felt that cable rub had compromised the integrity of the frame in that it had eaten away at the tubing, creating weak spots. I tried various routing configurations, to avoid this, but after riding almost daily, in hindsight, I should have protected the frame better. THIS kind of wear was avoidable if I had placed cable jacket soft covers or had reinforced the frame at critical points where the cable repeatedly rubbed at from the rear suspension movement.
    Last edited by Aust95; 02-18-2009 at 05:19 AM.

LDH
    mtbr member
    paint protector film, I got a 12"X60" piece on ebay for less than $10.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    I put some Racers Tape (the clear helicopter tape version) on my Ibis Mojo. That was about 2 years ago and it has held up really well to all sorts of abuse.

I picked up some Frame Wrap for my Downhill bike and have been really impressed with it on the chain stay. It is very easy to put on and you don't need to worry about zip ties and old tubes or sticking velcro type material there. A little section of it on your bars under a timer also works really well.

wretch
    3M Tape

The White Jeff W
    If you're not too worried about weight maybe try one of the brush on bed liners for trucks. Should be pretty durable. I've seen it at WalMart. I think there's a spray can version as well.

No moss...

mtbr member
    i just got a new frame too and i didnt want to have finger prints on it. that changed pretty soon though after my first ride.

go to price point.com and they have lizard skins and sette 3m 1x1.5 inch cablerub stickers. there thick rubber. and i cut mine even smaller jusrt enuff to stop the cable from rubbing. i love them. i have the sette kevlar chainstay protector too.

but even with all that protection your still going to get scraps and dings in your paint from normal riding but like said earlier it just adds character to your bike. its like a scar and chicks dig scars. haha but i think as long as its just cosmetic and not a dent or rubbing through metal your golden like ali baba!
    My Girl friend said, " it's not about how LONG your travel is... its's how well you use it!"

EDR
    my last frame had it's front triangle sent back to the manufacturer after 2 seasons of riding and upon their inspection, they felt that cable rub had compromised the integrity of the frame.
    Your last bike manufacturer is an a-hole. Never buy from them again. I can't imagine Turner, Knolly, Yeti, Ventana or even Specialized for that matter, pulling that crapolla.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    helicopter tape; job done
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13
    If you're not too worried about weight maybe try one of the brush on bed liners for trucks. Should be pretty durable. I've seen it at WalMart. I think there's a spray can version as well.
    Nice, maybe I'll get a few gallons of that and then dip the whole frame in it. Seriously, that does sound like an idea. Thanks.

turtles make me hot
    A company called Crankskinz or something like that makes clear frame protecting vinyl kits that are supposed to be tough as nails.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

ditto on chopper tape

I have used 3M 8663 aviation tape for years on high impact, high wear areas on bike frames and it works great. The downside - $$$$. Occasionally you can find it on eBay - I bought a roll of 100 ft x 4" for $100 - that should last me forever; it has lasted for 3 years now anyway and 10 frames.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Does the 3M and Aviation/Helicopter tape stand up to chain chop on the stays? I wanted something more subtle than wrapping a cut rubber tire tube that's why the clear tape sounds good especially if it'll stand up to the chain, otherwise, I'll think about the handlebar tape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Your last bike manufacturer is an a-hole. Never buy from them again. I can't imagine Turner, Knolly, Yeti, Ventana or even Specialized for that matter, pulling that crapolla.
    Posted some pictures of wear on the shock link/swingarm. The third is wear on the side link plate. The first and second pics are wear and pit formation on the cross bridge between the swingarm plates. These wear areas where the cable housing ran by. Unfortunately I don't have the front triangle anymore, but the wear was worse and to no surprise since I guess the aluminum was softer on the frame compared to the shock link. So there was a valid concern of compromised frame strength. The pictures don't do the wear justice--apologize for the poor quality--touching the wear areas, you can dip a finger tip into the notching. That's why I want to avoid wear on the new frames I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    two zip ties on those areas act as a loop to guide the housing would have prevented the rub you got

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just a little bit of electrical tape to take care of brake rub for me, everything else is out of my control and gets scratched eventually weather I like it or not

mtbr member
    when i used to road race cars we would use clear plastic film in areas we didnt want scratched...

i never ordered from this place but this is the stuff we used: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...oduct=3437-001

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast