mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Protecting the chainstay

My chain is slapping against the chainstay, and making a mess I know that I can get a chainstay protector and I probably will, but is there a way to adjust the tension in the derailleur to keep the chain from colliding with the chainstay.

wait...what?
    there is always going to be chain-slap...just get a protector....it looks macho....

mtbr member
    you could run a short cage deraileur or take some links out of the chain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Or you can do what i do and wrap part of an old inner tube around it!

Dirt Deviant
    I like road bar tape. Finish off the ends with electrical tape. Make sure you wrap it from back to front, so the chain slapping it won't undo it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luckynumber9
    you could run a short cage deraileur or take some links out of the chain.
    im surprised you can make those suggestions without even knowing what his setup is.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy_ja
    Or you can do what i do and wrap part of an old inner tube around it!
    Same here! I slice out a section of a old inner tube about the same width as handle bar tape and finish the ends off with electrical tape.

I also wrap the other chainstay side with just electrical tape since I tend to rub off the paint with my shoe while jockeying for position in the technical stuff.
    Chris

Double-metric mtb man
    I actually used a section of innertube, a commercial protector and a med. cage derailleur on my ride...all added over time, mind you. If I'm getting any slap now, I don't hear it at all and the chainstay doesn't have any chuncks out of it.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    i cant say for sure but my idea could point him in the right direction of reasearching cage lengths/chain lengths & chain slap

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    i always wondered about the handlebar tape in terms of durability. I always figured that the cork would get chewed up by the chain rather fast.

Platforms For Life
    On my old Schwinn Moab I actually bought a small chain tensioner that attached to the chainstay and made the chain never slap again. I have NEVER seen anybody with something like that since. I bought it at a LBS. Kinda looked like an upside down derailleur cage.

If anybody knows what I am talkinga bout let me know where I can get another!
    2008 GT Force 3.0
    2009 Bianchi Pista fixie

mtbr member
    I use frame wrap. The stuff works great and the company has awesome customer service. I had problems with the first roll they sent me, so they sent another free. Once you wrap it, the tape melts into a single piece. You won't hear your chain slap at all.

http://framewrap.com/
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfrican
    On my old Schwinn Moab I actually bought a small chain tensioner that attached to the chainstay and made the chain never slap again. I have NEVER seen anybody with something like that since. I bought it at a LBS. Kinda looked like an upside down derailleur cage.

If anybody knows what I am talkinga bout let me know where I can get another!
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=10137

Platforms For Life
    awesome! That one doesn't look good for my square tubing though. But I'm glad they still make those. You have to torque the CRAP out of it.
    2008 GT Force 3.0
    2009 Bianchi Pista fixie