jbf
    mtbr member

Protaper vs. EA70 bars ??

I can't make up my mind - Opinions?? I use a Thomson X4 (31.8) stem and I don't like carbon.

mtbr member
    I like my EA 70. It's shiny, light and tough.

I got the protapers cuz i heard they have a great bend and sweep.
    Didn't care too much for the easton colors (red and yellow lettering), but
    can't go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jbf
    I can't make up my mind - Opinions?? I use a Thomson X4 (31.8) stem and I don't like carbon.
    the EA 70 flat bar is a 25.4 bar (or is it 25.6?). not compatible with your 31.8 stem.

or maybe you are looking at the EA 70 Monkey Lite riser bars? the low rise is also the smaller diameter, the mid and high are 31.8 last time i checked.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    the EA 70 flat bar is a 25.4 bar (or is it 25.6?). not compatible with your 31.8 stem.

or maybe you are looking at the EA 70 Monkey Lite riser bars? the low rise is also the smaller diameter, the mid and high are 31.8 last time i checked.
    He is looking at the EA70 Riser bar... it is available in 31.8

I personally think you can't go wrong with either. Pick the one you think will fit you the best or the one you like the looks of the most

mtbr member
    I love the ProTapers. They're shaped a bit differently than most bars, and it's sweet.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i've got one of each bar; the protaper on the big bike, and the easton on the hardtail. they both feel great; don't think either is a bad bar. i've got my positions setup on both bikes pretty much the same, so when riding, i don't even really notice a difference in the bars. that said, i think i'd go with the protaper again if i needed a new bar for either bike.

go with whichever you can get the best deal on.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Protapers have a great shape to them, I really like how they ride too. Unfortunately i bent mine on a botched stairgap. Ouch, still healing.

jbf
    mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input. I just bought a new 31.8 Protaper bar on Ebay for $35. I'm getting clipped another $10 for shipping but the all in price seemed pretty reasonable.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Read somewhere, don't remember, it was a long time ago. That answer bars are made by easton and that in fact the protaper is the same as the monkeybar EA-70. When you see specs bends and weight, they are also identical. Cannot confirm as I dont' have a protaper, but if someone knows.... either one they both are great bars.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Look at FSA Gravity line of bars. Good sweep and rise. Really strong.
    Good luck.
    MCtigre