Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Prostate friiendly saddles...

I am in the market for a "prostate friendly" saddle for my Trek hardtail mtn bike. The two seats I am looking at now are Koobi and Adamo. Are there any other note worthy saddle companies that I am missing? I am looking for a saddle company that has some sort of AMA recommendation as I do not want to pour $150+ into a seat that does not work.
    Do any of you have any experience with Koobi or Adamo? Any pros and cons? Are there any other saddles that I overlooked? As of now I am leaning more towards the ISM Adamo Peak saddle but would like to get input from those experienced with a prostate friendly saddle...

Thanks for your help!
    Shaniac

mtbr member
    I might add that I am looking for a good "prostate-noassatall" friendly saddle...LOL!

Thanks for any and all help.
    Shaniac

mtbr member
    Those Adamo's are some funky looking saddles.
    All the big saddle makers have the prostate friendly design these days (gap in the middle). WTB, Selle Italia, Specialized, etc.
    I don't know how much medical evaluation or certification they all have, but
    I've used a couple of Specialized Body Geometry saddles that I've found to be more comfortable than others I've owned, and Specialized says their saddles are medically tested and proven etc.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...d=saddles_tech

Ride and Smile
    Hardtail-Prostrate friendly????

banned
    Forgive me if I LMFAO while typing this; my neighbors across the street are a gay couple, and the "wife" of this union uses this saddle with the sheepskin covers....they just about had a heart attack when I asked him about his weird looking saddle, thinking that I had prostate cancer or erectile dysfunction, or something even more devilish....anyway, they pointed me to the web site, and here you go.....

Name:  easyseatezontheaholesaddle.jpg
Views: 9197
Size:  9.0 KB

Name:  easyseatsheepskincover.jpg
Views: 8818
Size:  5.8 KB

mtbr member
    May 2006
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostate

Check it out the prostrate is actual above the bones and is not impacted at all by the saddle....

I think what you are looking for is a saddle that does not impede the blood flow "down there"

Check out the Specialized Site for some good info...

BTW I like the Specialized Avatar saddle.

mtbr member
    Well I found when road riding for so many miles the Forté T1 Tri Saddle from Performance Bike to be rather nice and easy on the sitting bones during long arduous days. And it cost like $40 which made it even better.

But everyone's sit bones are different, so what worked for me may not for you.

But too, is there really a prostate friendly saddle..............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott

BTW I like the Specialized Avatar saddle.
    Yep that's the one I use! I have the 155 mm (widest version), and found that it is really more comfortable for me than my Max flite. Even if the saddle has a gap in the center, that's not much help if a lot of your weight is on the edge of the gap, which was the case with my max flite. The flatness of the Avatar saddle puts more of my weight across a wider area of my butt.

Check it out the prostrate is actual above the bones and is not impacted at all by the saddle....

I think what you are looking for is a saddle that does not impede the blood flow "down there"
    Yeah you don't sit on your prostate, but it's affected because blood to the area is decreased.

banned
    Actually, the term "prostate friendly" is a misnomer; special saddles, which there are quite a few that are medically approved, are designed to alleviate the pressure on the perineum, and to treat for or avoid erectile dysfunction. Unless you plan to ride with the saddle and seat post rammed up you know where, bike saddles have no affect on the prostate.

mtbr member
    From the Adamo website:

On an annual basis, bicycle riding involves several hundred million people worldwide. Studies have linked perineal pressure caused by straddling traditional bicycle seats to numbness, urinary tract and yeast infections, prostate inflammation and impotence. For male riders, in addition to the discomfort and numbness associated with a traditional saddle, there is an increased susceptibility to restricted blood flow, which can lead to arterial occlusion and permanent erectile dysfunction. For women, the restricted blood flow and hardening of the genital arteries can lead to an inability to reach orgasm. It has been found that as little as 11% of a person’s body weight can compress the genital artery!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeljaws
    Forgive me if I LMFAO while typing this; my neighbors across the street are a gay couple, and the "wife" of this union uses this saddle with the sheepskin covers....they just about had a heart attack when I asked him about his weird looking saddle, thinking that I had prostate cancer or erectile dysfunction, or something even more devilish....anyway, they pointed me to the web site, and here you go.....

Name:  easyseatezontheaholesaddle.jpg
Views: 9197
Size:  9.0 KB

Name:  easyseatsheepskincover.jpg
Views: 8818
Size:  5.8 KB

That saddle isn't going to work for much more than beach cruising. You need to be able to pinch the nose of the saddle between your thighs to have control in a mtb situation.
    Funny story though

mtbr member
    Well I am recovering from prostatitis which is no fun at all! My Urologist told me that saddles that have noses are a big when I do a lot of trail riding I use the nose of the seat for control and don't want to lose that. He did suggest that I look at Koobi saddles as they don't interrupt blood flow and according to the Urologist the saddle does effect your prostate, especially when one has prostatitis...I am obviously not a doctor but I tend to take the physicians advice when he gives it...

So now I am looking at the split nose saddles and was wondering if anybody has had any experience with either the Koobi or Adamo. I will deffinitely check out the Specialized Avatar as I had included them in my research.

Thanks!
    Shaniac

usually cranky
    at first glance i thought this thread was about prostitute friendly saddles.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The WTB saddles have a 'pressure relieving cutout' and are the most comfortable I've tested; and they have saddles for different widths.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    I think a full suspension, saddleless bike would do the trick....LOL! OUCH!
    Shaniac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    They have those too, but I don't think I should show a picture...

mtbr member
    Can't have that for sure. That is why I stand alot and mash on the pedals. Drink lots of cranberry juice and your prostate will smile for many a year!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I have the Koobi AU Enduro. It works for me because I'm actually on the sitbones, as opposed to the taint. It's pretty darn wide, though.

I think Koobi has a 30 day return policy.

http://www.koobi.com/koobiauenduroandendurogel.aspx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO
    I have the Koobi AU Enduro. It works for me because I'm actually on the sitbones, as opposed to the taint. It's pretty darn wide, though.

I think Koobi has a 30 day return policy.

http://www.koobi.com/koobiauenduroandendurogel.aspx
    Yes, Koobi has a 30 day trial period....I am thinking about trying one out...
    Shaniac

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    I got my Father-in-law an Adamo Peak. He has loved it from the first ride on. Before this saddle he was cover a 150 saddle with a heavy gel pad, I could not let this go on. I was told to be patient and mess with the angle before you give up on it. We got it right on the first try though.

These guys will let you demo one for 25 then put 20 towards your purchase if you decide you like it. http://www.trisports.com/demo-ism-ad...ke-saddle.html If you have to go no nose I would give it a try.

Just so it is know, I didn't get mine from them but found them while looking up info on it. Seems like a pretty low risk way of trying it. I got a deal on his and figured looking at eBay if he hated it selling it would be a problem.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronabrandt
    I got my Father-in-law an Adamo Peak. He has loved it from the first ride on. Before this saddle he was cover a 150 saddle with a heavy gel pad, I could not let this go on. I was told to be patient and mess with the angle before you give up on it. We got it right on the first try though.

These guys will let you demo one for 25 then put 20 towards your purchase if you decide you like it. http://www.trisports.com/demo-ism-ad...ke-saddle.html If you have to go no nose I would give it a try.

Just so it is know, I didn't get mine from them but found them while looking up info on it. Seems like a pretty low risk way of trying it. I got a deal on his and figured looking at eBay if he hated it selling it would be a problem.
    Very interesting saddle design for sure. Would be nice to demo one.

mtbr member
    Remember that saddles are something personal, what works for someone else might not work for you.
    However, most of the -respectable- saddles nowadays have the cutout in the middle to allow bloodflow to your privates, so that long rides or constant riding doesn't mess with the ability to raise your flag. Doesn't have anything to do with your prostate as far as I know.

Go to your LBS and try testing some out, and get what works for you. Dont buy a saddle before checking how it fits first!

Trust your turbo lust
    Apr 2010
    i just picked up an Axiom SQ Lab saddle. it is the H-Spec Aggressive Trekk model. either way, it is one of the most comfortable saddles that i have ever parked my boney rear on. the last saddle that i had on my hardtail was an older specialized competition style saddle, it hurt to walk for at least a day after riding that saddle. the new saddle left me feeling rather good after my ride yesterday and i felt even better when i realized that it was only like $35.

definatly something to look into.

LWP
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've been using these on my road bike for about 4 years now...

I spent about about a week adjusting to it and it's the most comfortable saddle I've ever used and will be the only one I use on my road bikes as long as they keep making them. It doesn't work too well off-road though, it seems to be designed for less moving around than is necessary on the trails. I haven't found the comfort equivalent for my XC bike yet but I'm still looking. For any type of biking besides road or XC, I don't spend 5 - 6 hours or more continuously in the saddle so it's never been an issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is a very important topic that many cyclist overlook or ignore. I think many "Pro" athletes are used to pain and just ignore it as being part of the sport. For those of us riding recreationally or even racing for fun don't want to work through this kind of pain. Our shop recently hosted a informational "Numb Nuts" night with one of our local Urologists. The jist of the entire discussion came down to the fact that sitting on a bike saddle is not healthy for circulation and can lead to bigger and badder things. Erectile Disfunction is the number one complaint that the Urology field sees from cyclist which is caused by using a improper saddle.

In the Urology profession all of the studys show that a noseless saddle like the Koobi, Hobson, etc are the best option for those having problems. One study of noseless saddles used 100 and something bike police officers. If I remember correctly those complaining of numbness, pain, etc with a regular saddle dropped 73% when going to the noseless saddle. Many officers were sceptical about a noseless saddle for bike handling purposes. None complained of decreased handling. There was another study that showed the Selle SMP saddles also helped reduce the number of complaints among testers. Just noticed LWP posted his experience with these saddles. As it has been mentioned everyone's anatomy is different and you have to find the best saddle that "fits" you. There is not one perfect solution to fix everyone's problem(s). You have to do some leg work and spend some money to make it happen.

I am also a Selle SMP Pro saddle rider. I ride this saddle on my mtn bike and will ocassionally put it on a road bike. I'm only 28 but was diagnosed with prostititous and was having other pain symtoms related to saddle/riding position that had to be stopped. The SMP saddles were able to achieve the proper fit for me and alleviate my issues. Without changing to these saddles I wouldn't be riding a bike anymore. It was that bad. Though the saddles are expensive I love to ride and I love to have sex. This was a no brainer purchase and should be for anyone have complications.

At our shop we actually have a saddle library with nearly two dozen saddles for our customers to rent out at $5 per day. After finding the Selle SMP saddles and putting them in the library I have been able to help many customers reduce or eliminate the issues that we are discussing in this thread. The WTB, Terry and Selle Italia saddles didn't fix the problem for most guys. Selle SMP offers "test" saddles to their dealers for purchase. Most any bike shop should be able to gets these saddles by going through the dirstributor Albabici, which is the importer for a handful of small Italian asseccory companies.

Hope this is helpful information to those that need it.
    Last edited by mtn_man2; 05-30-2010 at 08:37 AM.
    Turner Burner, Polished
    Salsa Mariachi 2
    Salsa Mukluk 2 Custom
    Bucksaw - Future Ride

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast