mtbr member

New question here. Prophet for a Pitch?

debating whether to sell my Prophet frame for a Specialized Pitch.
    Prophet has 140mm vs the Pitch 150mm travel

The Prophet can be built up pretty light (which is nice)
    Both have 67 degree head angles...which is a must.

I have never seen a Pitch in person...but it looks like it could be fun.

Any idea the frame weight comparisons?

mtbr member
    I don't know anything about the prophet but I love my Pitch with a Lyric, funnest bike i've ever owned, period. Fairly light at ~31 lbs, the bike climbs well and descends almost like my DH bike.

nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Thats a very close trade, you'll be pretty much trading in for the same exact bike. If you want more rear travel on the bike and still have a slack headtube angle you can do what other users have done. 160mm for up front and 2.25 stroke shock in the rear. This will up the travel on the Prophet.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The stock components were cheap&heavy, and the weight was close to 32LB. After I upgraded everything with "so-so" components, my pitch now weighs 29.13LB.

2008 Pitch Pro Medium
    2010 Revelation Team Dual Air 150mm
    Easton Monkey DH
    M770 XT 175mm crank arms
    E13 SRS+
    E13 Bash Guard
    Straitline Pedals
    KS i950
    Hope Pro2/DT-Swiss EX500 Wheels F:20mm R:12mm
    Sunline V-One ALL MTN stem 50mm
    Elixir R SLC F:203mm / R:185mm
    Sram X9 Trigger Shifter / Rear Derailleur 1x9 setup
    12 to 10mm step-down rear thru axle
    WTB Devo Carbon
    Cane Creek S3 headset
    Kenda Nevegals 2.35 F: Stick-E / R: DTC

mtbr member

more travel

Quote Originally Posted by 2clue
    Thats a very close trade, you'll be pretty much trading in for the same exact bike. If you want more rear travel on the bike and still have a slack headtube angle you can do what other users have done. 160mm for up front and 2.25 stroke shock in the rear. This will up the travel on the Prophet.

how much of a travel increase the 2.25 stroke?
    I thought I remember reading the Prophet was doomed from the start in terms of it's suspension.
    Isn't it why C-dale discontinued it?
    I've ran a crappy Manitou Radium air and a Fox DHX coil and neither felt that great on that bike.
    It does not feel like it gets the full 5" of travel.

It's not that I want more rear travel, I just want something different that can handle aggressive AM riding and that I can build up on the light side (sub 30 lbs).

thanks for the feedback...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The Pitch will be difficult/expensive to build sub-30. It's a more "freeride" oriented frame than the Prophet. Haven't personally owned a Pitch, though I did have a '10 Enduro (same suspension). The Horst/FSR Specialized suspension is certainly nicer than the single-pivot C-dale.

I did own a Prophet and liked it a lot. I have no issues with a well-designed single-pivot bike. No trouble getting full travel with an RP23 and I rode it on some pretty hardcore rock trails here in Arizona.

The two frames really aren't in the same class, so it's difficult to compare.

Come on, dare me!
    Not true. I easily build my Pitch at 29 lb without expensive parts (see picture - and yes, the weight was with the pedals). It now sits closer to 30 lb because of the heavy KS adjustable seatpost (won't go back!). With a selection of light parts in the right places, you can reach 28 lb easily. And the Pitch is a very versatile and sturdy mount, plus the FSR suspension system is IMO superior to Cannondale's monopivot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    how much of a travel increase the 2.25 stroke?
    I thought I remember reading the Prophet was doomed from the start in terms of it's suspension.
    I've ran a crappy Manitou Radium air and a Fox DHX coil and neither felt that great on that bike.
    It does not feel like it gets the full 5" of travel.

It's not that I want more rear travel, I just want something different that can handle aggressive AM riding and that I can build up on the light side (sub 30 lbs).

thanks for the feedback...
    I ran a Manitou Radium and also a Manitou Evolver ISX 4. Both of which I got full travel out of, with the 2.25 you get something around 150mm-155mm.

Mine handles the aggressive AM I do perfectly fine and that includes steep rocky trails to drops and jumps. Never had issues with mine not meeting the burlier requirements..just the XC ones.

mtbr member

build

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome
    Not true. I easily build my Pitch at 29 lb without expensive parts (see picture - and yes, the weight was with the pedals). It now sits closer to 30 lb because of the heavy KS adjustable seatpost (won't go back!). With a selection of light parts in the right places, you can reach 28 lb easily. And the Pitch is a very versatile and sturdy mount, plus the FSR suspension system is IMO superior to Cannondale's monopivot.

this is what I wanted to see...
    thanks for posting this.
    Again...I don't hate my Prophet...just want to try something a little diff.
    I LOVE that C-dales can be built light...but the the FSR sounds pretty good for a change.
    Plus I can pick up a Pitch frame for a good price.

Come on, dare me!
    this is what I wanted to see...
    thanks for posting this.
    Again...I don't hate my Prophet...just want to try something a little diff.
    I LOVE that C-dales can be built light...but the the FSR sounds pretty good for a change.
    Plus I can pick up a Pitch frame for a good price.
    Did you think about the new Reign? I've owned quite a lot of Specialized bikes with FSR suspension and the Maestro suspension from Giant is a notch above IMO (especially when pedalling up). Plus the Giants are affordable, easy to find and have a lifetime warranty, like the Specializeds. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Pitch, but I feel the Giant is worth a good look.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The prophet is a sick bike, I had a prophet for the summer built up with a lyric, a pushed fox rp23, notubes flow wheels, and an xtr/xo drivetrain with saint brakes. I rode the bike everywhere from downhill at whiteface to 4 hour trail rides (a bit too much travel for this, Built up a rush for more trail rides)

The single pivot rear end is fantastic, with a good shock the bike really comes alive, plenty active in all conditions, loads of traction, and paired with the awesome geometry the bike has the bike rips!

Personally I think all fsr bikes feel dead, but thats just me

happy trails!
    Matt

Hike n' Bike
    Jun 2006
    I love my Prophet, had it for years and I have never been able to get rid of it. Sometimes I can get caught up in my love of suspension design, then I take this out for a ride and realize that sometimes simplicity is king. The bike just handles great and is super fun to ride, it's been even more fun since I put the Lyrik on it!

Took this the other day with my crappy cell phone camera.

mtbr member
    Wha?

C-Dale made the Prophet for five years, it's a great frame. Match it to a 36t chain ring, 140-160fork and a Rp3/23 or RS Monarch/Pearl and it'll go like stink.

Being a single pivot it's more dependant on chain ring size than the fsr, outside of 32-36 will probably get you too much chain, especially granny gear. I'd take it over an fsr bike any day though, as others have mentioned, horst link bikes feel 'mushy'.
    Now, if the horst link bike was a Nicolai...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've owned a lot of bikes and right now I'm the happiest with my Prophet. I thru a adjustable 160mm fork on becuase I loved the feeling of the bike with a 140mm in the freeride mode but didn't like the bottom bracket being so low.
    I honestly haven't touched the travel adjust. Just leave it in 160mm and it rocks. The only thing I'm doing to make it perfect is sending the Fox(rear shox) to push to have it set up for me and a bottom out adjuster put in.

mtbr member
    I owned a Prophet and (still own) a Stumpjumper at the same time. I rode both on the same trail which included a fairly techy down and a good climb. On the downhills, I felt more comfortable and confident on the Stumpjumper than I did the Prophet. On the ups, it wasn't even a question, the Stumpjumper won hands down. In my opinion, the FSR, or any similar suspension, is going to be better than a single pivot design. I know some will disagree, but you can't beat having an active rear end while braking with the FSR design.

My vote goes to the Pitch. I would also consider an Enduro or a Giant Reign.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Throw a rize into the mix,they're very cool

I Have Cookies
    here's my .02$ I own a '08 prophet and the reason I love it so much is BB height the trails I ride are very rooty and you really need to "time" your pedal strokes to the terrain. All the FSR converts that I ride with get loads of pedal strikes! I tried it myself I rode my dads Enduro on the exact same trail and I hit every thing that I normally clear with my prophet.
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo