Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Prophet 400 or Heckler

Hello all. I am deciding (more like racking my brain) between a Prophet 400 with a Marzzachi AM 3 fork. Manitue Radium rear w/ lockout. SRAM X-7 drivetrain at $1,300.

Or a Santa Cruz Heckler with 2007 Fox Vanilla RLC fork , Fox Float R rear, Deore shifters.Rear Der Shimano XT, at $1,900. I know the Heckler has a great reputation, but my dilema is it $600 better than the Prophet. Any opinions and experiences with either bike would rule.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

heckler

I'd go with the heckler. Although both bikes are good the heckler stands out to me.
    The fox's together are great. But if your concernd about money prophet is not a loss.
    THE CAL

mtbr member
    Not really a fair fight. The Prophet is a great choice at it's price point, and the heckler is also. Should you spend the extra $? Depends what kind of trails you ride, how you ride them, and how much $ you have. If your a pricy attorney making $400/ hour, no contest, get the heckler. If your a student living on ramon noodles and blood donations, get the prophet. Both will ride well. Personally, I like the Heckler.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go with the prophet 400. IMO the frame is a much better design, well worth upgrading. Remember, all SC single pivot bikes are made in china....that is why they are so cheap. All the big "c" bikes ( except the plastic ones) are made in PA.....If that matters to you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I will be riding mostly rooty, rocky north eastern trails pretty aggressively, but no crazy jumps. I do not have much experiance with different bikes and suspensions. The Prophet felt light and the lock out rear shock was cool. I have yet to ride the Heckler on the trail but I know I won't be disapointed. My gut tells me the Heckler is the bike but money is a bit of an issue.( Unless my wife doesn't find out I spent the extra $600 on the Heckler) Thanks again, Great forum!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Prophet frame with out the rear shock weighs in at 5.25 Lbs. How does that compare to other all mountain bikes?

What are you looking at?
    The Prophet is nice but it feels really streched out and (maybe just for me) a little unstable. The Heckler is light, and fun, and flickable, and worth the extra money.

P.S. The Heckler is made in Taiwan and there made well.
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

Creepy tooth fairy

Heckler is what I chose...

...after riding both. The Prophet is a nice ride and probably can be built a wee bit lighter. I am still not a fan of the Lefty. The Prophet felt kinda whippy and not as planted as the Heckler, but I am big guy and a aggressive rider. I ride the same terrain as you, so consider your size, riding style, and what you would buy if money were no object. I have my Heckler built up on the Freeride-side of the All Mountain Pantheon; with pretty stout components it weighs in around 35 lbs. I weigh over 235 lbs so this is light compared to my old full-suspension which was a porky 46 lbs and my hardtail at 40 lbs.

Bottom line, both are great bikes that you will have a blast on. Consider the aforementioned factors and go for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Heckler is made out of round tubing....the prophet frame has non round tubing that is arranged to be stiffer and stronger. The Sc has the cool factor, but the prophet is a stronger frame. I have seen several heckler's with torn off head tobes( not the frames falt, some clowns like to hang 6-7 inch forks on them), If you brake a Prophet's front triangle, you have done something.....

mtbr member
    I'd have to say go for the Prophet. Of course I'm a little biased as I own one. The Prophet has a great frame design, very strong. Also your really have two bikes in one with the Prophet as you can switch between FR/XC mode via the rear shock mount on the swingarm. The Prophet just rides really well too, and is very controllable/flickable once you get used to it. Dont forget it's made in the USA, I dont know about you but I'd rather have a bike thats made here in the states rather than Taiwan.
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

mtbr member
    What would push me towards the Heckler is the fork and shock. My brother has a prophet with a radium on it and it makes for too harsh of a ride. I really liked the vanilla fork I had, but I don't know how the am3 compares. If I were to buy that prophet I would immediately upgrade the rear shock. You could do that and still come out ahead if you bought he prophet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Interesting comments.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME
    Heckler is made out of round tubing....the prophet frame has non round tubing that is arranged to be stiffer and stronger. The Sc has the cool factor, but the prophet is a stronger frame. I have seen several heckler's with torn off head tobes( not the frames falt, some clowns like to hang 6-7 inch forks on them), If you brake a Prophet's front triangle, you have done something.....

I used to own a Heckler and it is STRONG like bull. I weigh well over 200lbs and never had a problem with my Heckler. I have seen hundreds of Hecklers and have been monitoring the SC Forum for a few years now, and I have NEVER witnessed or have seen pictures of a headtube that has been sheared off of the Heckler. A few broken swingarms yes, but head tubes, not yet.

SC even recommends not using deep insert headsets on the Heckler because the Head tube is over built.

As for the "Clowns" hanging 6-7" forks off a Heckler???? Go to the SC forum and post this. There are MANY Heckler riders using sc 6" forks and even 7" DC forks on the Heckler with no problems at all. Hell, 6" forks have become the norm on a Heckler, not the exception.

As for stiffness, this is a toss up. There is noticeable rear end flex on the Prophet and a little flex in the rear of the Heckler as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    I used to own a Heckler and it is STRONG like bull. I weigh well over 200lbs and never had a problem with my Heckler. I have seen hundreds of Hecklers and have been monitoring the SC Forum for a few years now, and I have NEVER witnessed or have seen pictures of a headtube that has been sheared off of the Heckler. A few broken swingarms yes, but head tubes, not yet.

SC even recommends not using deep insert headsets on the Heckler because the Head tube is over built.

As for the "Clowns" hanging 6-7" forks off a Heckler???? Go to the SC forum and post this. There are MANY Heckler riders using sc 6" forks and even 7" DC forks on the Heckler with no problems at all. Hell, 6" forks have become the norm on a Heckler, not the exception.

As for stiffness, this is a toss up. There is noticeable rear end flex on the Prophet and a little flex in the rear of the Heckler as well.

I am a 240lbs aggressive rider and I ride the piss out of my Hekler with no worries at all. The frame is solid and can take anything you can dish out. I've never seen a headtube ripped off a Heckler and living in the Bay Area, there are a lot of Hecklers and Santa Cruz bikes in general around here.

I was running a Z1FR1 which has 150mm of travel and it was a great fork. I just upgraded to a Fox 36 Vanilla and I am in Heaven. I can't believe what an amazing fork the 36 Vanilla is. It weight exactly the same as the Z1FR1, right down to the gram and it has 163mm of travel instead of 150.

If you look at the Santa Cruz site the Heckler is built to take up to a 180mm fork.

What are you looking at?
    Quote Originally Posted by 67degrees
    \If you look at the Santa Cruz site the Heckler is built to take up to a 180mm fork.
    That sounds like the Nomad your thinking of... but the Heckler can take a 160mm fork
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The Heckler can take a 170mm DC fork too.

Quote Originally Posted by R1D3R
    That sounds like the Nomad your thinking of... but the Heckler can take a 160mm fork

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Heckler fork length?

I might be mistaken. It is not uncommon to see Hecklers with Boxxers and Super T's and they work great.

I just put a Fox 36 Vanilla with 160mm of travel and it is wicked!!!!

LA CHÈVRE
    - The Prophet has a lifetime warranty.

- The prohet really climbs like a xc race bike in XC mode and desends like a freeride bike in FR mode.

- The Prophet can use a OnePointFive fork.

I guess it shows that I have a Prophet myself. Like someone pointed out, the Radium rear shock is not the best thing out there but can be upgraded down the road (or should I say 'down the trail').

What I find odd is that one of the first reason I ride Cannondales and push people to it, is because of the Lefty. I trully believe the Lefty is a much superior design to anything else out there. The Lefty Max 140 is below 4 pounds but is plush, strong and stiff as a downhill or freeride fork! Just less travel. The bolt-on front wheel helps but the inside of the Lefty (and Headshoks) really make these things laterally, torsionally and longitudinally way stiffer than regular forks. These things steer with the precision of a world-class surgeon!

With all that said, the Santa Cruz is also a nice bike, I just feel the Prophet is as good if not better but also a much better value.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by R1D3R
    Sorry if I offened the heckler riders running BIG forks. I ride a lot at diablo freeridepark and that is where I have seen the broken hecklers. The problem with diablo is like most of nj, it is 3 inched of topsoil ontop of a pile of rocks.....In diablo's case, big stinking, unmoveable rocks......to make a long story short.....heckler frame + big fat downhiller + big sticking unmoveable rock + big fork + speed = snap.....
    On a side note, I have never seen as many broken frames as I have seen at diablo....
    Old guy in the woods

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CaboWabo
    Hello all. I am deciding (more like racking my brain) between a Prophet 400 with a Marzzachi AM 3 fork. Manitue Radium rear w/ lockout. SRAM X-7 drivetrain at $1,300.

Or a Santa Cruz Heckler with 2007 Fox Vanilla RLC fork , Fox Float R rear, Deore shifters.Rear Der Shimano XT, at $1,900. I know the Heckler has a great reputation, but my dilema is it $600 better than the Prophet. Any opinions and experiences with either bike would rule.

Thanks
    Where are you getting the Heckler for $1900 with that config? I'm interested in purchasing one.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    So the P400 is $1400 VS a $1900 bike? Hows bout a Prophet 600 or 800??

You will like the way the Lefty rides, I bet...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony

What is the advantage to the Lefty? It looks unbalanced/freaky to me, although I'm sure it's not.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I'm sure someone with more than a year on one will chime in...Lightwieght, Stiff, excellent tracking....
    Not unbalanced, but it sure is easy to make a 'joke' about on the trail...
    Still two local guys rode mine a little bit and did say how they liked the way the fork felt...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony

I took a demo 600 out for a day on the trail. The bike is real nice. The lefty to me was very strong and light, but almost to light in the front. The Radium R is stiff. I am concidering the bike, but cant say the lefty blew me away.In fairness to the lefty fork I dont have a lot of experience with different forks so not fair evaluation from me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    santa cruz, taiwan

Got A Lust for Life...
    Well,
    You will likely need the warrantee on the Prophet. I have yet to know ONE SINGLE Cannondale owner that has NOT broken their frame. Some not once, not twice, but THREE times! You will not break a Heckler no how no way and it will behave as well or better than the Prophet. Just because the Prophet is handmade in the U.S that does not mean you get quality. A racer I know had a ton of welding beads in his frame when he got it. This was not an isolated incident. I am not saying Cannondale sucks. Quite the contrary. I like them and I know a lot of riders on them. However, they break a LOT. Did you know you cannot ride a lefty in the wet without worry of devastation? Don't ride through a stream with one. Forget that jazz. Is SC the best company out there? NO!! My first new gen Heckler was welded off center. This was not remedied the first time I sent it back. It took two trips back to Santa Cruz. Was I happy about that? No. Would I ride a Cannondale with a no questions asked warrantee? NO! They are both good bikes. The Heckler is far more versatile. BTW, it would last far longer at Diablo than a Prophet, but lets face it, neither bike is really made for that.
    I am immune to your disdain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast