mtbr member
    Jul 2006

proper sizing for a mountain bike

I am new too mountain biking and i am looking to buy a 2006 GT Aggressor, i am buying this bike because its a great price and i heard its a top ten bike. I dont have any bike dealers near me so i have to order the bike over the phone. What size should i get? I am 5'11" 190 lbs. Normal athletic build. Also my wife is going to get the female version of the same bike she is 5'2" 125 lbs what size should she get?

mtbr member
    Especially considering you're new to mountain biking, I would strongly recommend that you ride a bike, and several bikes before buying anything.

A GT in the top ten? Back in the day, yes, but not now. Go to wrenchscience.com and use their sizing program to get a start. Fit is not just a frame size, the components come into play as well. A good shop will adjust a bike to fit you, find it. Riding several different sized bikes with different component mixes will get you started, but some of us take years to find the perfect fit...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You need to try out several bikes before just buying one for a good price. You may be amazed what you can get for a good deal these days. For your size you should be on a typical L size bike but I would go to wrenchscience.com like the other person said and plug in your measurements to be exact. I dont know what youre paying for that bike but there are some great bikes out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Warning

This bike is not designed to handle frequent mtb use. I would also be skeptical of a company who suggests that you can flip around a 20 degree stem for "a more xc position". I could be wrong, but usually negative 5-6 degrees is about it on a bike with a 71 degree head tube.

BTW, a great deal on a bad fitting bike is still a bad fitting bike.

http://www.gtbicycles.com/mountain/c...usa&brand=moun

This guy is looking at a $299 bike and you are suggesting wrenchscience, huh?
    Who is ponying up for the extra $1700??? Use your melon.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I dont see anything wrong with finding out the proper size bike for your body NO MATTER what you are riding, do you? My melon works fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordansrealm
    I dont see anything wrong with finding out the proper size bike for your body NO MATTER what you are riding, do you?
    Yes. NO MATTER doesn't differentiate between variences in bike geometry. I can guarantee bad bike fit if you try to go and ride 2 or 3 random 17 inch bikes.
    wrenchscience.com isn't carrying GT now are they? If he wants to get fit for a GT, he should seek a GT dealer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Genetic
    Yes. NO MATTER doesn't differentiate between variences in bike geometry. I can guarantee bad bike fit if you try to go and ride 2 or 3 random 17 inch bikes.
    wrenchscience.com isn't carrying GT now are they? If he wants to get fit for a GT, he should seek a GT dealer.
    Easy there turbo lol

I merely suggested he should check it out as the other person previously suggested. As I also said he should go out and ride a lot of bikes before choosing one. $299 to $3000 no matter. I recently went through a bike size problem and wrenchscience was a good outlet for me, so I didnt see anything wrong with forwarding that to another.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by d19rye
    I am new too mountain biking and i am looking to buy a 2006 GT Aggressor, i am buying this bike because its a great price and i heard its a top ten bike. I dont have any bike dealers near me so i have to order the bike over the phone. What size should i get? I am 5'11" 190 lbs. Normal athletic build. Also my wife is going to get the female version of the same bike she is 5'2" 125 lbs what size should she get?
    You really need to ride any bike before you buy it, I'm 6' 215lbs but I have a 31" inseam so I can fit a med. or a large and I've found that some models fit better as a large others as a med., go to a couple of bike shops (not dept. stores) and see whats available and talk to the help. dont plan on buying anything , just window shop, in fact leave your wallet home so you wont be tempted.
    Be advised though, a $300 bike will only be good for light riding( paved and unpaved roads) anything rougher will do it in QUICK, expect to spend $500 - $700 for a hardtail and $1000 + for full suspension minimum. If you want something that will take some abuse and not break while you're flying down some singletrack. Also They sales people arent going to spend alot of time selling or setting up (fitting) a $300 bike. Go to a good smaller shop during the week days when it not so busy and they will be more inclined to spend some time with you

I didn't know which GT it was, but it doesn't really matter. Learning about how your various body measurements (not just your overall height) affect bike sizing goes beyond any one brand or level of bike within the brand.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Natural body armor
    Can anyone suggest a good source for bike fitting procedure related to XC/AM ?
    I found a lot of stuff on road biking, but the story is really different for MTB and even more for AM, where compromise between uphill and downhill positions is critical.
    I experimented quite a few changes on my bike, including stem lenght and angle, steerer tube height, saddle position etc. and I'm pretty satisfied with my tune up, but I keep thinking that there's something I'm missing - so is there a more scientific approach?

Web links or book titles would be appreciated.
    Thx
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA