mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Problem with disk brakes after switching wheels

Hello,

I have just bought some new wheels, and I attached my rotors to them, but now it seems i am bottoming out on the brake lever with almost no braking, I pretty much can't ride it. I have tried a few adjustments, but with not much luck.

I have had the pads for quite a while so it could be that, but with my old wheels it was not as bad as this.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks

(my brakes are hayes mx-2)

Picture Unrelated
    Edit: I mis-read what brakes you have.

You need to adjust the fixed pad and moving pad so that your brakes work well. Read the manual section "Mounting the brake to frame or fork" for instructions on how to get the pads adjusted.

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/wp-con...EnglishWeb.pdf

You need to do this periodically through the life of the brake pads so get acquainted with it.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for your reply .

I have been adjusting the moving pad so that its as close as it can be to the rotor without touching it, but it still bottoms out. Maybe the rotor sits too close to the adjustable pad?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny523 View Post
    Thanks for your reply .

I have been adjusting the moving pad so that its as close as it can be to the rotor without touching it, but it still bottoms out. Maybe the rotor sits too close to the adjustable pad?
    First step would be to center the caliper so that the rotor sits in the center of the gap for the pads. Then move the fixed pad as close as you can to the rotor without touching. Then adjust the moving pad with cable tension to the proper lever feel that you want. The fixed pad provides the power, the moving pad simply allows the brake to actuate.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?