mtbr member

Pro-tec Auger vs. Giro Remedy

I am looking into full face helmets for all mountain type riding. I have eliminated the MET parachute and am looking into the two above. I see that the Auger has more vents, but the Rememdy definitely has a better, or at least more well known, reputation. Since this will be my primary helmet, the cooling ability is important, second only to the protection.

Anyone with first hand experience, please contribute your findings.

Thanks,

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

usually cranky
    no first hand expeirance but obviously both will protect you good. giros got the bling factor and is lighter but the protec is cheaper. either way its not like you are compromising your safety.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have the Giro Remedy Carbon that I pull out when I do free ride every once in a while. Its super light, and it vents waaaay better than I thought it would. I say look on craigslist for a good deal on a lightly used remedy. I found mine for 50 bucks and its mint!

mtbr member
    Get a close up look at them if you could and try them on. If you're just buying online and can't, then go with the Remedy. I used to have an Azonic Outlaw that I bought online cause it said it had 13 vents or something. Well, the vents were covered with fabric and wouldn't breathe for schit. The Remedy though has big vents with a removable mesh liner that you can see right through, but it keeps the bugs and sticks out. A great helmet with a very nice fit. The padding is soft and forms to your head without crushing your face. The vents that are in front of your mouth are screened, not padded so it allows good breathing.

The thing to remember about venting is that you can drill 100 holes 1/16 of an inch and say it's the most vents ever. Or you can have 4 huge vents and it can feel like air conditioning. More isn't always better as I found out. Ttyl, Fahn