mtbr member

Post Your Nukeproof...

Well, I've seen one other Nukeproof owner on these forums.

They (Nukeproof) make solid kit

Share yours

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yeah not too many on these forums. Surprising considering how great the current Megas perform.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nice looking trail whip ^^

i like rocks
    After years of ridding bike park specific DH rigs I wanted to switch to something that I could ride anywhere, included extended climbing, but still rip the DH and bike park the way I love. After a bunch of research I went with the Nukeproof Mega 290.

Totally in love with this machine! Climbs like a goat, rips like a DH bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Nukeproof...-20170116_173621.jpg  

Post Your Nukeproof...-20170116_173547.jpg  

Post Your Nukeproof...-20170116_173510.jpg  

Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Post Your Nukeproof...-p5pb14232063.jpg

2012 Mega TR

mtbr member

The more I ride it... the more I like it

That makes me smart
    Cool dog!

The bike's not bad, neither.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Almost completed build to desirable specification...

:Pic To Come:

NB Nukeproof Scout 290 build:
    -Frame: L
    -Handle Bars: Azonic 770mm (off my old FS rig, trading them in/out for Funn Fatboys @785mm)
    -Grips: Easton Lock On - Gum
    -Brakes: M615's
    -Stem: Kore 50mm
    -Fork: X-Fusion Trace RL2 @140mm
    -Wheels: (F) Stans Flox, off old FS 29er (R) Easton Heist 24
    -Mudguard: Gorilla
    -Seatpost: Reverb 125mm, off old FS 29er
    -Saddle: Kona WTB off old FS 29er
    -Crankset & BB: Shimano Zee 170mm, BB came w/ Crankset
    -Chainring: Praxxis Wave Tech 30t - needed at a pinch for weekend ride, changing out for ABS Oval 30t
    -Drivetrain: SLX - shifter, rear der, 11-42 cassette & chain, also off old FS 29er
    -Tyres: (F) Onza Ibex 29x2.4/Hans Dampf 29x2.35 Evo Tsc, (R) Bontrager XR4 29x2.4/Maxxis Forekaster 29x2.35 Exo TR

Half of build had free shipping, other half off of my old FS 29er.
    Last edited by targnik; 03-06-2017 at 09:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Ridden hard...

Put away, wet

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Why aren't thesee around more? They seem like a great bang for the buck.

With that said, any info anyone can give about why this bike would be better than others and why it's not around more would be helpful. I'm strongly considering buying the Scout 290 Comp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawelter View Post
    Why aren't thesee around more? They seem like a great bang for the buck.

With that said, any info anyone can give about why this bike would be better than others and why it's not around more would be helpful. I'm strongly considering buying the Scout 290 Comp.
    Website has some interesting info re, their history.

Sam Hill rides for them in the EWS.

Pull the trigger you went regret it

I heard about them through CRC.

First purchase was a Generator AM rim, then another Generator DH rim - these were for my former 650b mule.

Then I bought a Rear hub, (FS 29er) it had some issues with the pawls - 6 months and they packed it in.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt on that one.

When my FS 29er-s rear triangle started cracking up. I went about hunting for an in between bike.

Something that fit my budget, that accepted all my FS 29er parts & had similar geo.

Initially I was planning a 12 month hiatus from full squish. Now I know how awesome the Scout 290 is, I'll likely ride it until it gives up the ghost

My brain is already contemplating acquiring another frame... i.e. the Banshee Prime.

But, I can wait...

Last edited by targnik; 03-17-2017 at 01:14 AM.

Andrew
    Sup guys, I'm only about a third of the way thru my Nukeproof Scout 275 build, but so far I'm super pleased with how it's coming together. The last thing I did was wrap the Fox Factory 34's in the 40th anniversary graphics and I can't stop looking at it. Getting pumped to finish this up.

Post Your Nukeproof...-nuke1.jpg

Build so far:
    Fox 34 140mm Factory CTD Forks
    Hope 44/56 ZS Headset
    Hope 68-73mm Bottom Bracket
    Hope 50mm AM-FR Stem
    Hope Seat Post Clamp
    SRAM XG-1150 GX 11 Speed Cassette
    Last edited by drizzoh; 07-25-2017 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Photobucket sukz
    Andrew || 2017 Nukeproof Scout 275 || 2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drizzoh View Post
    Sup guys, I'm only about a third of the way thru my Nukeproof Scout 275 build, but so far I'm super pleased with how it's coming together. The last thing I did was wrap the Fox Factory 34's in the 40th anniversary graphics and I can't stop looking at it. Getting pumped to finish this up.

Build so far:
    Fox 34 140mm Factory CTD Forks
    Hope 44/56 ZS Headset
    Hope 68-73mm Bottom Bracket
    Hope 50mm AM-FR Stem
    Hope Seat Post Clamp
    SRAM XG-1150 GX 11 Speed Cassette
    I 'Hope' it turns out OK

Andrew
    Added a few parts since my last update..

Post Your Nukeproof...-nuke3.jpg

Post Your Nukeproof...-6jusptq.jpg

Fox 34 Factory FIT CTD Forks 140mm
    Hope Pro 4 Hubs
    DT Swiss EX471 32H Rims
    Maxxis Minion DHF Exo 3C Maxx Terra TR 2.5 Front
    Maxxis Aggressor Exo TR 2.3 Rear
    Shimano Zee Brakes
    Hope F20 Pedals
    Hope Zero Stack Headset
    Hope Bottom Bracket
    Hope AM-FR Stem 50mm
    Hope Seat Post Clamp
    Hope Floating Rotors 180mm
    Chromag Trailmaster DT Saddle
    Bontrager Rhythm Elite Seatpost
    Nukeproof Warhead Carbon Bars
    Nukeproof Headset Spacers
    Oury Grips
    Jagwires Polished Cables
    SRAM X1 1400 GXP 32T Crankset
    SRAM X1 Trigger Shifter
    SRAM X1 Rear Derailleur
    SRAM XX1 Chain
    SRAM GX Cassette

Current weight 27.5 lbs, hoping for <29 when fully loaded.

Just needing brakes, a seatpost and seat and it's ready to ride
    Last edited by drizzoh; 08-15-2017 at 08:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Pretty happy there is a devoted thread to our favourite bikes.

I purchased mine in March/April this year and I am very happy about it. I like to just look at it sometimes. Something about hardtails just appeals. I was skeptical about the 290 at first but after being recommended one by another person on this forum I couldn't be happier.

I didn't start this year a big rider but I am since getting this bike. The week I got it I took it to Thredbo for a ride down the AM track. I'm a novice and this track was so much fun. The bike ate it up. 290FTW!

Ill get some pics up later

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by McNazgul View Post
    Pretty happy there is a devoted thread to our favourite bikes.

I purchased mine in March/April this year and I am very happy about it. I like to just look at it sometimes. Something about hardtails just appeals. I was skeptical about the 290 at first but after being recommended one by another person on this forum I couldn't be happier.

I didn't start this year a big rider but I am since getting this bike. The week I got it I took it to Thredbo for a ride down the AM track. I'm a novice and this track was so much fun. The bike ate it up. 290FTW!

Ill get some pics up later
    Good to hear you're enjoying the 290...

Mines a bit lame at the mo - rear wheel is with CRC for a Warranty claim & I'm waiting on bits to arrive to rebuild an old wheel.

Guess my 2017 Giant Reign will have to suffice for the mean time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    My first love, and the girl that really got me into riding mountain bikes.
    2012 Nukeproof Mega Pro, quite a few upgrades here and there from stock.

Post Your Nukeproof...-s1600_wp_20160531_17_18_37_pro.jpgPost Your Nukeproof...-wp_20150531_16_03_03_pro.jpgPost Your Nukeproof...-wp_20150617_20_51_44_pro.jpgPost Your Nukeproof...-wp_20150908_15_09_21_pro.jpg
    Last edited by Losvar; 07-31-2017 at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Just moved to Canberra, my nation's capital. Turns out there is a fair few tracks close by which is very nice. Went out to Mt Stromlo yesterday and had a blast around on the scout. Such fun.
    It climbs as well as it descends. I'm not skilled enough to get the most out of the bike but I had heaps of fun.
    Here it is with my other favourite thing with wheels.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Good to hear you're enjoying the 290...

Mines a bit lame at the mo - rear wheel is with CRC for a Warranty claim & I'm waiting on bits to arrive to rebuild an old wheel.

Guess my 2017 Giant Reign will have to suffice for the mean time.

I bought mine from CRC and a bunch of other stuff. I've found them to be pretty good. What's their warranty claim process like?

Also, how do you like the extra travel on your fork? Can't say I'm looking for more on mine yet but curious.

mtbr member
    I bought mine from CRC and a bunch of other stuff. I've found them to be pretty good. What's their warranty claim process like?

Also, how do you like the extra travel on your fork? Can't say I'm looking for more on mine yet but curious.

I got the frame only (290) & built it up with parts from my former Transition Bandit 29.

I also got the wheel from CRC i.e. Easton Heist 24. The build is awesome still running true despite being on an AM HT.

But, the hub seems to be a weak point.

Still going through Warranty process i.e. waiting to hear from CRC what they'll be doing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Got out to Stromlo again today. Lots to explore up there.
    I'm pretty impressed with how the bike climbs. I did some of the fire roads and more technical switchbacks and it smashed it. I only have my 26" to compare to but the 29er seems to handle that's stuff really well.
    Earn your turns

Andrew
    Finally finished this up (minus the front Zee brake that has been forever backordered). Had my shop bleed the rear brake bled and tune the gears properly yesterday and then took it on it's maiden voyage last night. Absolutely loved this bike (which is great because I've been spending buckets of $ on it for the last 6 months just hoping I wouldn't hate it). Only did about 5 miles or so thru the neighborhood but it it a lot more forgiving than I was thinking it would be. Though that could be down to the incredibly plush Fox Factory 34's or the 25mm DT EX471's wrapped in beefy 2.3" and 2.5" tubeless exo rubbers. No creaks or pops, so pretty damn happy how the first bike I ever built from the ground up has turned out! Stoked to take it out this weekend and get it dirty!

Post Your Nukeproof...-nukeproofscoutalmostfinished.jpg

EDIT: Got it dirty. Absolutely love how this bike rides! Really couldn't be happier! This thing is snappy af, very confidence-inspiring on the downs and climbs like a goat!

Post Your Nukeproof...-nukeproofgettindirty.jpg
    Last edited by drizzoh; 08-16-2017 at 12:52 PM.

I'm with stupid
    these will flying off shelves over the winter if Mr. Hill wins the EWS overall. (bring out the grave digger edition!)

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    these will flying off shelves over the winter if Mr. Hill wins the EWS overall. (bring out the grave digger edition!)
    I've never understood this. Love Nukeproof, but buying a bike because a pro wins on it is stupid.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I've never understood this. Love Nukeproof, but buying a bike because a pro wins on it is stupid.
    It's not necessarily just because a pro won, but because the brand gains more exposure when you're on top.

Sam Hill pwns.

I'm with stupid
    That and people will see the brand as a more viable option to stack up to the big names in America. YT got Gwin and now everything is sold out because people the see the bikes as more quality since he is racing on the same frame you can buy. People know they will not be buying junk if a top level guy is placing well with it. I race the big mountain enduro series and atleast a third of the bikes there are SB6c because of Rude killing it on one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This seems like the perfect place to ask this question, apologies if it isn't.

I'm actually considering buying a Nukeproof Mega 275 frame and transferring all of my parts from my Chromag Stylus to it. Been riding the stylus into the ground but it's time to upgrade to a FS based on how aggressive i've been. Was looking into the Knolly Warden, Santa Cruz Bronson, YT Jeffsy, Commencal Meta AM, and Transition Patrol. Mostly because I have a 160mm DVO Diamond i'd like to find a home for and it would fit nicely with these bikes. My fork is also cut down a little shorter than it should have been, which means some brands, like Ibis and Yeti, are completely off the table with their longer head tubes. All of the frames seem to be $1200(Commencal) to 2000+.

Stumbled upon the Nukeproof a few days ago. It has nearly perfect geometry and can take my DVO Diamond easily. Everything except the chainstays and the reach seem similar to my Stylus. The reach is about the same as a Cannondale Trigger, which I've rented a few times up at Kingdom Trails VT, so i'm not worried about that either.

My question is this, is it worth it to pull the trigger on the Nukeproof Mega for $500-$1k less than the brands above, or just save some money up and purchase them at a later date? What advantages do the other bikes i've mentioned have over the Nukeproof, if any?

i like rocks
    dude, the Mega is a badass bike at any price, heck they should probably raise the prices just so people stop thinking of it as a "discount" bike. If you like it, buy it.

I was pretty dead set on dropping big bucks on a Yeti SB5.5 or an Evil Wreck, until I found out about the mega and fell in love with it. Glad i did. I like my 290 significantly more than everything else I test rode, and now with over 250 miles on it I still think its the $hit and even if i was spending your moms money, i'd get the same bike.

As for "advantages" of higher priced bikes vs. the nuke... not really any. differences sure, but thats more a matter of taste than any real advantage.

Sure, its aluminum... but for what its worth, the mega frame is even lighter than some carbon frames (evil in particular), and appears to be durable as hell. more than half of my millage has been bike park.

Sam Hill has been ridding (slaying it on) a Carbon version updated with a metric shock, I imagine the aluminum frames are going at good discount to clearance them out before the carbon hits the market.

I'll buy the new carbon frame when it comes out (assuming its lighter). I hope the prices stay reasonable, but they could charge prices commensurate with the competition and i'll pay it.

been trying a coil on mine for the bike park, but i'll continue using the Monarch for climbing.
    Post Your Nukeproof...-nukecoil.jpg
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    One of the reasons i'm hesitant is that the Mega still uses 12x142 in the rear and my wheelset is 12x148. Combined with the fact that i'd have to ship it from overseas. The price difference between buying something like a Santa Cruz Bronson frame and the Mega frame end up being a wash since i'd have to pay for shipping and a new wheelset.

Just trying to find more information about it, it's not a popular brand here in the states at all.

i like rocks
    right on, well price being a wash, go with the one that appeals to you more.

Compared to the Bronson, they are certainly different machines. Geometry wise the mega certainly leans a bit more toward a gravity orientation and is slacker, longer reach, quite longer chain-stay and thus wheelbase.

I haven't compared a 27.5 mega to a Bronson, but having compared my 29" mega to a buddies Bronson, its pretty clear that all of those geo tweeks add up to a bike that is quite a bit different.

no, they are not popular over here thats for sure. So far this season I've only seen two more in the wild, they were British guys on vacation in Moab, both on Mega 275's.
    caught up to them at the end of the Enchilada.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How does the Nukeproof climb, and how well does it tackle technical sections? Living in New England, it's all climbing, technical sections, rock gardens, and roots.

Vs something like a Pivot Mach 6, SC Bronson / Nomad, or Specialized Enduro?

i like rocks
    I'd say it climbs pretty well, about as you'd expect from a 30 pound, 150mm bike with a horst link rear end. Probably not the best climbing bike in the world, but good enough that its my go-to machine here in Colorado. I have a 23 pound XC 29er hardtail, but It hasn't seen daylight since I brought the nuke home.

I would say that it does not really excel at low-speed technical climbing, I think being so long and slack its just out of its element a bit when things get slow and trialzy if you know what i mean. If you can keep some speed going, its amazing what it will pop up on top of though. Note, do remember i'm on a 290, so a 275 might be a bit more comfortable at low speed. its all worth noting that I don't really -care- about cleanly climbing every bit, i'm just earning my turns and getting to the top so i can rip down.

As for the technical descending, rock gardens and roots... thats what the nuke is made for. My Mega eats that stuff up like a DH bike, recklessly fast when it gets steep and gnarly and loves plowing through rock gardens. Its fast, stable and confidence inspiring. Just as my XC bike has been collecting dust in the basement, so has my 200mm dual crown DH bike. about 50% of my ridding is bike park and the mega just munches down DH trails.

the bikes that you list, and the mega, are all very very good bikes that will all excel on similar terrain. I'd say in general the mega's geo is a touch more aggressive and thus leans a bit more towards descending.

In a couple of weeks myself and a bunch of friends will be heading up to the PNW for a bike trip, we'll have a Mega 290, an Enduro, a Mach 6, a Bronson, as well as an Insurgent, a Following, a Patrol and a Ripley. I'm sure most days of ridding will end with beers and much discussion about the varying and minor differences between how each of this rigs handle the days trails, but in all reality all of these bikes are nearly equally capable on most trails, heading up or down, and all going to be a blast to ride.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hey guys. My stock WTB i23 rear rim is officially FUBAR. Well, 2 mechanics say its unsalvageable. Any suggestions for a new one? I'm 95kg, 210lbs riding aggressive AM on my Scout 290.

mtbr member
    I can recommend Easton Heist rims ^^ just not their in house bearings/freehub...

Rode a Heist 24 on the rear of my 290 & it never needed truing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    I can recommend Easton Heist rims ^^ just not their in house bearings/freehub...

Rode a Heist 24 on the rear of my 290 & it never needed truing.

I was thinking of heist rim with hope or Nukeproof hub.

mtbr member
    I was thinking of heist rim with hope or Nukeproof hub.

I'd go for the Hope...

I've experienced pawl failure on Nukeproof hub =(

A mate has a rear wheel w/ Hope hub & he said it's easy to service i.e. change out bearings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Excellent. Decision made

mtbr member
    Excellent. Decision made

If CRC/Easton ever get back to me w/ Easton Heist 24 rear wheel decision!?

I'll either keep it as a spare or rebuild wheel w/ different hub.

Should have my ZTR Flow rim built up with a Novatec D882SB hub in a couple of weeks for my Scout.

Andrew
    Hope Pro 4's ftw. They're extremely easy to service (literally just pull apart) and roll fast with solid engagement (not as fast as say a King or i9, but after riding both, I didn't notice any real world difference). I'm running the Pro4's on both my bikes, and they'll go on my next bike as well.