mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Polygon Bikes any good?

These bikes are just so cheap. They have an analysis against the bike. What do you think?

2011 Polygon Collosus AX3.0 with Shimano Deore XT 30 Speed

There are some others in the range also.

mtbr member
    Yeah.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    heard is made from indonesia.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtan68 View Post
    heard is made from indonesia.
    Yeap its true

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That bike aint that cheap dude, you could get a better spec'd trek remedy, or rocky mountain slayer for around the same price point. I'm sure the latter are much better bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokingblues` View Post
    hardtail frame is made in Indonesia, but all full susupension frames are made in Taiwan.
    Opps my bad..ferget to include that...Thanks for the correction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lazymuf View Post
    Yeap its true
    hardtail frame is made in Indonesia, but all full susupension frames are made in Taiwan.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Value for $$ in South east Asia :P They have carbon too

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Collosus AX3.0

I'm picking up my new collosus AX3.0 in 3 days.

After much research, I could not question the quality of components fitted for the price. To be honest, I could not find any other brands of similar style bikes with the components for anywhere near the price.

It was a tough choice between the AX and the FR for the same money. The FR came with the Hammerschmidt and the frame looked very sexy. The AX more suits my riding style though these days.

Bicyclesonline.com.au customer service can not be faulted. Thanks guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polygon Bikes any good?-collosus.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just got one today from bicycles online. So far it seems great! But the real teset will be once it gets out on the trails, but sofar i am happy, the component quality is great, and the frame looks good.

Rabid Lana fan
    Weird looking saddle.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

meow meow
    it doesnt speak to the quality per se but they do have a big name djer on their team who probably could have signed with most anyone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    it doesnt speak to the quality per se but they do have a big name djer on their team who probably could have signed with most anyone.
    Yeah

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I swayed away from the polygon just because it was my first bike and i found an awesome deal on a camber pro. For my next bike though, once polygon rep has been built up a bit, i dont think i would hesitate. especially since i live so close to their shop also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    5 years ago they were just above dept store bikes - last 3 years they have upped the anti and started making some MTB's and roadie frames that are pretty much as good as the mid range from the usual suspects - here they are about 2/3 price or you'll get deore / SLX instead of Alvio etc.
    FYI: all Schwalbe tires are made in Indonesia too
    FYFI: Do not buy a bike or a component from a website based in Indonesia- that is a scam

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Picked up the AX3.0 yesterday after a small assembly hick-up with a factory fitted part. the mechanics were great putting together a whole new bike for me.

First ride on a flowing single trail and it is very impressive. Coming off my Specialized Enduro and Diamondback Mission, the AX3.0 was effortless in it's pedalling motion. The bike responded readily to rider input and felt balanced and confident.

I'm looking forward to pushing it a bit harder on some more technical trails while they are still dry.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Very interested in your thoughts nath69.

i have put the deposit down on the same bike.

Some questions, if you dont mind !

Have you tried to convert the wheels to tubeless ?

Do you have a total weight on the complete bike ?

Whats the width of the bars?

What was the slight hiccup ? PM me on that one, or PM me thru rotorburn..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi tasty.dirt74

PM'd you

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Pretty impressive bike for $2k

mtbr member
    The fork almost makes it worth while. What's an integrated bb? That might be a deal breaker.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nath69 View Post
    Picked up the AX3.0 yesterday after a small assembly hick-up with a factory fitted part. the mechanics were great putting together a whole new bike for me.

First ride on a flowing single trail and it is very impressive. Coming off my Specialized Enduro and Diamondback Mission, the AX3.0 was effortless in it's pedalling motion. The bike responded readily to rider input and felt balanced and confident.

I'm looking forward to pushing it a bit harder on some more technical trails while they are still dry.

Cheers
    It's hard to tell from the pictures is this a mini link or single pivot design.

The CRX is a horst link.....

I can't believe how cheap these are, the components look like they're worth more than the bikes!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I don't see how they can source the components, build the frame and still make money
    The components retail are well over $3000. Wholesale cant be much less than $1200. And then they still have to make money but where does it come from lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EEEliminator View Post
    It's hard to tell from the pictures is this a mini link or single pivot design.

The CRX is a horst link.....

I can't believe how cheap these are, the components look like they're worth more than the bikes!
    Thats a mini link bike.. the rear triangle is one piece.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have one. I have no way of measuring the weight, but its fairly heavy, i'd say at least 14kg. But the fox talas 36 is a big fork, bit of weight there. Had no other problems.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks nath69...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks nath69...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Was anyone able to get the bikes shipped to the US? Just testing from the site listed it says one or more items cannot be shipped to your address?

Any US sites or dealers?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tasty.dirt74 View Post
    Very interested in your thoughts nath69.

i have put the deposit down on the same bike.

Some questions, if you dont mind !

Have you tried to convert the wheels to tubeless ?

Do you have a total weight on the complete bike ?

Whats the width of the bars?

What was the slight hiccup ? PM me on that one, or PM me thru rotorburn..
    Hi Tasty.dirt74

I haven't tried the tubeless option yet. Never been a fan of the tubeless despite the minimal weight saving.

Not sure on the total weight but it does weigh less than my Specialized Enduro and Diamondback Mission.

The bars are 700mm wide including grips.

The hiccup was that the original build up had a sloppy upper shock bushing on the RP23. They originally went to replace it but found the bolt was seized in from assembly in the factory and could not remove it even with a rattle gun. They built a whole complete new bike for me to pick up the next day.

Be sure to check there is no play in the shock bushings and test the Pro Pedal works. Mine seems to be not working properly and plan to drop back in. No fault of Polygon, more so Fox.

It seems to have rained since I picked up the bike and yet to get many kilometers on it but very happy with my decision.

The cockpit feels shorter than the Enduro but it does have a shorter stem and a zero offset seatpost. I plan to get an off set seat post soon to see how it goes.

Good luck and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thats weird, because my propedal doesnt seem to be working either? Have a hard time distinguishing if its off or on? Keen to hear how you go with it, as i'm in brisbane, so getting it back to sydney would be annoying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi Rukes

I plan to drop in tomorrow after a quick ride. I will let you know the outcome.

I have the RP23 on my Specialized Enduro as well and when the Pro Pedal is closed, It makes a Substantial difference giving virtually no bob when grinding up hills in the seat. I was considering swapping over the shocks but I will take it to the shop first.

The guys at Bicyclesonline have been great so far and don't doubt they will help.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rukes View Post
    Thats weird, because my propedal doesnt seem to be working either? Have a hard time distinguishing if its off or on? Keen to hear how you go with it, as i'm in brisbane, so getting it back to sydney would be annoying.
    Hi Rukes

Did a good ride on one of the local trails that manages to shed the water well. Dropped into the shop and spoke to the owner for a while.

It seems I'm the second owner in a couple of days to come in with the same issue. They have contacted Fox and it turns out the RP23 have been re-shimmed/valved that effects the ability of the Pro Pedal to minimize pedal bob. The shop checked my sag and increased the shock pressure to 280psi to give around 20 to 25% sag. I weigh around 100kg and it has stiffened up the rear end and still get full travel.

They have offered to re-shim the shock for around $50.00. What I might do is put on my RP23 from the Specialized and see how much difference it makes. The old shock is a 2009 model whilst the Polygon model is 2011.

Regards

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yeah its interesting, i to be honest, i havent found the pedal bob too bad when climbing. But i cant feel much of a difference between propedal firm and the shock open. On my cannondale rush, with propedal on, it is very noticeable. But that has a lot less travel.

Anyway, good to know its not just my bike. Thanks for checking it out! Going to spend this weekend giving the polygon a real good testing. Been a bit wet here last few weekends.

mtbr member
    Hi all!

As far as I know, polygon is an ambitious bike company in south east asia, they seek to go international. Many local and regional racing team are looking forward to be endorsed by polygon. Besides, polygon's frame quality is almost the same as kona (the same manufacture in taiwan, from what I've heard).

I've been using polygon bikes in my entire life, and never been disappointed by its performance (also its design). Best I ever had.

PS: the official site --> polygoncycle.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    These suspension designs look a lot like patented designs to me, it's odd that one manufacture uses multiple configurations. Is this the reason they're not in the US market?

I wonder what will happen to they're pricing if they have to pay licensing fees on they're suspension designs if brought to the US.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    For their 2012 models they are using their own suspension platform, according to a australian mtb magazine i was reading.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EEEliminator View Post
    These suspension designs look a lot like patented designs to me, it's odd that one manufacture uses multiple configurations. Is this the reason they're not in the US market?

I wonder what will happen to they're pricing if they have to pay licensing fees on they're suspension designs if brought to the US.
    Hi EEEliminator!

Yes, it's called FS2 technology, a 2012 tech. The only series using this configuration is Collosus -high-end series of fullsusp polygon bikes. For now its selling range covers China, Taiwan, southeast-Asia, and Australia. I'm not sure polygon has reached Europe or even US. We'll see how quick polygon reach your market

Quote Originally Posted by rukes View Post
    For their 2012 models they are using their own suspension platform, according to a australian mtb magazine i was reading.
    Hi rukes!

I assume you live in Australia? I wonder, how long polygon has been distribute its products to your country?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    A couple of frames in North America I can think of with similar suspension design are Opus and One Ghost. Frame manufacturer ASTRO rings to mind. Would they own an international patent on the designs of the AFAMH and co? Where would these frames be sold legally if not the case?

I had a ride on one of their new suspension design frames and it felt really nice. Not much suspension bob at all and felt really neutral. It did feel heavy however as it was one of the lower spec models with heavier components. It would certainly be a killer with a kit similar to the AX3.0.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just swapped out the FIZIC seat for a spare bontrager I had in the workshop. It has a more rearward orientation and does in fact stretch out the cockpit. It feels better but could still be a bit longer.

The image on all the web sites shows the small size. This is my Large with the new seat. Note the different angle top tube reducing the standover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polygon Bikes any good?-collos.jpg  

mtbr member
    I think it was Yannick Greneiri who cased a dirt jumps earlier this year on his polygon and clean snapped the head tube off!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Nath69 what have you thought of how it rides?

It took me a few rides to get used to mine, but am really starting to enjoy it a lot. Haven't added anything to it yet, but a dropper post would really add to it.

Also, i have a large as well, and i think the cockpit Is that way, so you can get back behind the seat easier and are in a better position for descending.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    looks like the frame has changed per the polygoncycle.com website.

If i could have gotten that blue/white one in the U.S. I would have went for it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My bike was meant to arrive last Friday. Good luck getting a local courier company to deliver it to the receivers address, even if it is in their warehouse ! Hopefully arrive tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    What's up guys. I ran into Polygon bikes too and thought it was interesting. Let me clear some stuff up..(not a rep or anything)

1) Polygon and its' factory is the one that makes most of your big brands like Giant, Santa Cruz (pretty sure), etc. Most of their suspension designs look similar cause they are the ones who helped make it. You'd be surprised on how many expensive brands all come from the same factory. So what they do is just take little bits of the frames they help produce, put it all together, and viola, they have their own frame. The new line of Polygon bikes are unique to them though. So they are no longer considered "catalog" bikes. On the flip side, the disturbing part, some brands buy generic designs of Polygon/factories which then they rebrand....maybe tweak a few stuff here and there. If you cruise through Pinkbike's Buy/Sell, you'll sooner or later realize some vastly similar features.

2) Taiwan is a great and if not the best place to make high-quality frames with one of the tightest production Quality Controls and for a good price. But in the end, remember it is the DESIGN of the bike and what the designer calls for as in materials, welds, gussets, etc. that will determine the bike's quality, NOT where it is made. If the design calls for 6061 Aluminum from a good source, then that will be used on the bike. If the designer says use generic 6061 which isn't as pure then that is what will be used. The welders also are excellent in Taiwan. So you want your stuff to be made in Taiwan. Atleast I do, cause I know how good it is over there. Constantly reps from brands will travel to Taiwan just to check up or tell them of new designs or work out new designs. They usually have 100% clear communication. Plus, most frames come back to US and are checked over carefully.

3) The reason it is cheap is the same thing as reason 1. We would all be surprised to see the "true" cost of a bike after designing/finalizing, it's dirt cheap. We pay hundreds times over what it really costs. You are seeing what the bike actually costs to make without the brand name, middleman mark-ups, direct sourcing/in-house manufacturing.

4) I'm trying to get their DH frameset and see how they ride. Depending on that maybe get some extra exposure for them. Have no clue where to get one in the US tho...

But just looking at their design, they look decent (considering their designs have been used in the industry for years, so it is probably reliable). Hard to say durability wise how well they will stand up which is the biggest issue. I heard they ride quite well. Comparable to a Glory, Sunday, Tuesday, etc.
    Easy Does It.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    they are quite cheap in Singapore, i think.
    The DH frame costs about 1400USD

Official Website of Polygon Bikes - The International brand for Quality Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Spicy.Mike View Post
    What's up guys. I ran into Polygon bikes too and thought it was interesting. Let me clear some stuff up..(not a rep or anything)

1) Polygon and its' factory is the one that makes most of your big brands like Giant, Santa Cruz (pretty sure), etc. Most of their suspension designs look similar cause they are the ones who helped make it. You'd be surprised on how many expensive brands all come from the same factory. So what they do is just take little bits of the frames they help produce, put it all together, and viola, they have their own frame. The new line of Polygon bikes are unique to them though. So they are no longer considered "catalog" bikes. On the flip side, the disturbing part, some brands buy generic designs of Polygon/factories which then they rebrand....maybe tweak a few stuff here and there. If you cruise through Pinkbike's Buy/Sell, you'll sooner or later realize some vastly similar features.

2) Taiwan is a great and if not the best place to make high-quality frames with one of the tightest production Quality Controls and for a good price. But in the end, remember it is the DESIGN of the bike and what the designer calls for as in materials, welds, gussets, etc. that will determine the bike's quality, NOT where it is made. If the design calls for 6061 Aluminum from a good source, then that will be used on the bike. If the designer says use generic 6061 which isn't as pure then that is what will be used. The welders also are excellent in Taiwan. So you want your stuff to be made in Taiwan. Atleast I do, cause I know how good it is over there. Constantly reps from brands will travel to Taiwan just to check up or tell them of new designs or work out new designs. They usually have 100% clear communication. Plus, most frames come back to US and are checked over carefully.

3) The reason it is cheap is the same thing as reason 1. We would all be surprised to see the "true" cost of a bike after designing/finalizing, it's dirt cheap. We pay hundreds times over what it really costs. You are seeing what the bike actually costs to make without the brand name, middleman mark-ups, direct sourcing/in-house manufacturing.

4) I'm trying to get their DH frameset and see how they ride. Depending on that maybe get some extra exposure for them. Have no clue where to get one in the US tho...

But just looking at their design, they look decent (considering their designs have been used in the industry for years, so it is probably reliable). Hard to say durability wise how well they will stand up which is the biggest issue. I heard they ride quite well. Comparable to a Glory, Sunday, Tuesday, etc.

mtbr member
    Contact them thru email and they can ship it out to you, frame only i believe (+ shipping too). And cost of a frame should be cheaper than that i think.
    Easy Does It.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    They updated the bike for 2013 and looks very good
    Official Website of Polygon Bikes - The International brand for Quality Bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So I have received the ax 3.0, and on sold the frame to use the parts. Rode the bike enough to figure out it was a good bike,, I am now about to order one of their 29er hardtails... Official Website of Polygon Bikes - The International brand for Quality Bikes as a nice faster bike...it certainly looks good, and once again, great spec and a great price...about $1400 AU delivered to my workplace, or home, whatever is easier for me.. Cant wait !...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Got the bike 10 days ago.....Official Website of Polygon Bikes - The International brand for Quality Bikes . First ride was a 70+klm road/dirt road ride with plenty of climbing, and a 7klm descent at the end. The bike was great.. The second ride was a 20klm singletrack blast. The bike carves fast singletrack... I am impressed with the frame, spec, and handling..The bars are nice and wide, but the seat sucks though !! Way too flat for me.... The stem/bars were dropped, and the spacers moved to on top of the stem until I am happy with the position. The pedals were swapped for a set of XT that I kept from my last bike.
    All in all, I am pretty impressed. And all for AU$1398..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    I don't see how they can source the components, build the frame and still make money
    The components retail are well over $3000. Wholesale cant be much less than $1200. And then they still have to make money but where does it come from lol
    They rip off the other guy and pass the savings on to you!
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've got the same bike, the blue/black/white 29er. Spec is extremely good for the price (SGD 1500 roughly USD1200), even the tyres are Schwalbe evolution, not the cheaper models. Only thing I changed is a shorter stem and the 530 SPDs.
    Very impressed with the bike, after getting used to a HT (I also have a Nomad) with 100mm front suspension, you start to pump it a lot more, start choosing your lines a bit better and in general start enjoying it. Kept up with my friend on a 140mm FS on the DH, and started gaining some distance on the flats and ups.
    Now if they only did with a more relaxed geometry...
    By the looks of it they might start doing FS 29er next year. For the amount of money they cost, even if they are not as great as the boutique bikes (which I doubt) you can get a full spec bike for the cost of a frame.
    In short, go for it. Even if you don't like it, keep the parts for a new frame, it's that cheap!!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    they have been produced bikes for long times ago..and now they also make some frames for Scott and Kona..unbelievable I know, but that's true..

beside Polygon, Indonesia also have Wim Cycle and United Bike..

mtbr member
    Don't know about their bikes, but I give their riders a thumbs up! Tracey and Holly, anyway. :-)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Don't know about their bikes, but I give their riders a thumbs up! Tracey and Holly, anyway. :-)
    yeaahhh holly is hot..

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polygon Bikes any good?-965725_10201102192053910_164640145_o.jpg  

Last edited by TheVeganFreak; 04-03-2014 at 02:06 AM.

Indonesian mtbr
    id like to trade my giant trance to polygon colossus ax 3.0 2012

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fadill View Post
    id like to trade my giant trance to polygon colossus ax 3.0 2012
    How much would it cost? I assume it's cheaper for you since it's made in Indonesia?

Indonesian mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVeganFreak View Post
    How much would it cost? I assume it's cheaper for you since it's made in Indonesia?
    for frame only, its about the same, iam interested because some said that their 'complicated' fs2 link is same efficient with dw-link

but i think even here in indonesia, for 'high end' bike, polygon is less popular than giant, spesialized, ibis, santa cruz...

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    If "Sick" Mick can sit on 5th position in Fort William on his Colossus DH, I guess the guys at Polygon knows something and few more to design and build a bike. (Hey they are 5th biggest world bike manufacturer anyway right? They learnt one or two things)
    They had some prototype of 650b as well from what I read on Taiwan Bicycle Show couple of months back. Not sure their bike is gonna be cheap in future with World series sponsorship though.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    hi all,

just went through the whole process of dealing with the people here with polygon australia..

if you want after sales and warranty... they are rubbish!!!!

my bike dropped a pin from the chain (not the master link either) and the problem of customer service and warranty was a complete debarcle and farce.

I had to eventually dispute the paypal transaction as nothing was happening when i finally got contacted. the bike was in no way assembled by a "professional" and required about 2 hrs of tweaking before things actually worked.

the bike is actually quite good, but the whole process was shocking... Polygon australia, dont go near them.

mtbr member
    bad chain and you had to tinker with it for 2 hours? Bike actually quite good. What the hell did you expect?
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    bad chain and you had to tinker with it for 2 hours? Bike actually quite good. What the hell did you expect?
    customer service at least..

look at the website of what they are promising..

what did i expect?? to receive something that had product support!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Polygon Bikes any good?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo retro View Post
    customer service at least..

look at the website of what they are promising..

what did i expect?? to receive something that had product support!!!
    Seriously? I've never once pulled a high end mountain bike out of the box that didn't need a time to assemble and adjust correctly. This is perfectly normal. Opening a PayPal dispute because you made a lousy shift or dropped the chain because you didn't adjust it right is absurd. Stop talking trash because this is your fault. Go buy a new chain or put a quick link in place and get over it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer650 View Post
    Seriously? I've never once pulled a high end mountain bike out of the box that didn't need a time to assemble and adjust correctly. This is perfectly normal. Opening a PayPal dispute because you made a lousy shift or dropped the chain because you didn't adjust it right is absurd. Stop talking trash because this is your fault. Go buy a new chain or put a quick link in place and get over it.

yea. i'm over it
    my giant anthem from 2011 has had the crap beaten out of it. i know how to spanner my bikes. i posted on here to let aussie guys know about polygon support in this country.

whatever. i aint posting here again.

jalepenio jimenez

Factory in Indonesia

Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 08:48:22 +0700

Our factory located in Indonesia but we have some headquarter in some countries.
    For the english content it made by our representative in USA.
    Ussually if customer contact us, we forward their email to our representative in their country.
    Have our representative in USA didn't contact you ?
    We will forward your email again to our representative in USA. We will ask them to contact you.
    You can also contact them by email to support@polygonbikes.us

We really apologize for this inconvenience.

Best Regards,
    Polygon Bikes
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho

Members who have read this thread: 13