Poll: Which Pedals do you use?

mtbr member
    May 2008

POLL: Which pedals do you use for AM riding?

Here's a follow up on my other thread on which flat pedals.

Have you always ridden flats or did you switch from clipless to flats and how long did it take to get used to?

Do you ride clipless for XC riding and flats for AM riding?

mtbr member
    Strait line defacto, deity blade runner, deity tmac, deity compound.... can you tell I'm a deity fan.

Tried clipless with some mallets but then moved back to platform. I just enjoy platform more. Nothing against clipless, I understand the benefits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    I started out riding flats when I was 5 or 6 (can't remember), then used toeclips for a long time in the 80s, then switched to clipless for XC until I got into DH racing.

On one of my earlier forays into DH racing I accidentally clipped out on a NASTY section and couldn't get back in. It was a miracle I got through that unscathed. I threw some platforms on shortly after and have been riding them ever since.

I still run clipless on my xc hardtail, but only because with a lack of suspension on rough terrain, they help me stay on the pedals. On the same bike with platforms installed, I am just as fast at climbing and descending. In fact, last year I got faster times with flats than I did clipped in.

mtbr member
    I swap & change between the two i.e. some days I'll ride flats, other days I'll ride spd's ^^

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieMonster View Post
    ...... I still run clipless on my xc hardtail, but only because with a lack of suspension on rough terrain, they help me stay on the pedals. On the same bike with platforms installed, I am just as fast at climbing and descending. In fact, last year I got faster times with flats than I did clipped in.
    Similar situation here. I actually started out on (and still use) clipless on my roadie and old school geo HT as the trails in my area were not very technical. After moving to Colorado and much more difficult trails, I switched to flats on my trail bikes for skill improvement and a lower frequency of blood letting.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I use flats in the slippery winter, and clipless during the fast summer.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mbtr member
    clipless. I hate riding flats on a hardtail, and that's my main rig. Flats are fine on the FS, but clipless bangs fewer rocks and my FS bike is ponderously low... and I'm comfortable with them.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Tried a few of the most popular flat pedals, and was recommended Bontrager Proline Flats. To date the flat out best pedal i've ever used. The funny mushroom pins just glues to the Stealth sole - and even without removing the washers.

mtbr member
    Iíve ridden pretty much every flat out there. HT pedals are the best by far. They are the thinnest pedal available. Most people who try flats and donít like them are those who ride thicker pedals. The key to flats is thin! Thick flats are more prone instability and eating up shins.

mtbr member
    I rode clipless for 20yrs+. Switched to flats a bit over 10yrs ago and have never gone back. I like everything about flats better than clipless.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

because GIANT
    spuds 24x7
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I still use both but have a bias toward flats simply because I enjoy them more.

Thin pedals as mentioned above really help but my lower bb height (Trek Remedy) makes for many more pedal strikes with flats when on rougher trails.

On a rigid SS it's usually clipless to keep from getting jarred of the bike in rough sections.

mtbr member
    Too many scars on my shins to run flats any more. You can shame me for lack of skills if you want to.

mtbr member
    XT Trail

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    egg beaters -> candy -> mallet e this year, a progression toward clipless flats.

ultra grumpy
    I run flats in the AM, but also in the PM. Saves time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Too many scars on my shins to run flats any more. You can shame me for lack of skills if you want to.
    Something tells me if you had the right flat pedal along with the right shoe you wouldnít have any scars on your shins . Iím curious, what pedal/shoe combo were you using?

ultra grumpy
    OK, if you insist.

Name:  shame-shame-shame.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  21.6 KB

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderofPA View Post
    egg beaters -> candy -> mallet e this year, a progression toward clipless flats.
    I didn't know anyone still used crankbrothers pedals.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    I didn't know anyone still used crankbrothers pedals.
    I have never had an issue with Crankbrothers. The float is natural, easy to clip in and out and proper maintenance goes a long way!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I use flats in the slippery winter, and clipless during the fast summer.
    Same here, sort of. I switch to flats for the cold wet months because the cheap skate shoes I use are warmer than my XC Sidi's and switching keeps your technique fresh.

Not really related to type of terrain or riding, although I appreciate flats in low traction conditions. It takes 3-4 rides for me to get used to riding on or the other, but I always pretend I'm on clipless, ie feet are not allowed to leave the pedals. Makes you commit to difficult sections, both going up and down.

Overall I prefer riding clipped in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Shame.
    T275a

mtbr member
    Thickness and area are critical for good how a flat pedal works. My old V8 copies are truly terrible compared to my Superstar Nano-X's. All my shin scars are from the pre-Nano era.

Shoe/pedal combo is equally important.

Anyway, I think both systems have something to offer and it's nice to have both skills in your inventory. I actually prefer clipless for rockgardens because of the ground clearance and that not being able to dab makes me commit more. Wet, greasy rockgardens are another story...

Mastering trackstands certainly boosted my confidence on riding tech with clipless pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Only ride Wellgo Mg1 this Company is the biggest pedal manufacturer in the world many of the name brands out there are built by this company save your money buy Wellgo

mtbr member
    Have been on SPD's forever. When it gets REAL cold (<20 deg F) I may throw flats on so I can wear warm boots.
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

I'm with stupid
    I ride flats in the cold months because have a huge heat sink sitting on the bottom of your foot gets cold quick. If my feet are warm I keep riding, if not it is back to the car because cold feet suck! I even bring a change of socks in my pack for when I make it to the top of a hour long climb I dont want to ride down with wet socks. So I ride down with socks hanging off my pack to air out like a cape. One thing I learned in the military, take care of your feet and they will take care of you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    always on flat , and always with the DMR vault

their is nothing like it !
    best pedal ever