mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Please help me with input on my shortlist (Orange, Lapierre, Transition, SC)

Hi all,

I知 on the lookout for a 26er trail bike and would love to get some input, hands on experiences or other alternatives, on my short list. As I知 on a budget my plan is to finalize my list and then maybe go eBay-hunting for a (lightly) used frame .

I知 looking for 125 to 140 mm travel, 67,5 to 68,5 degree head angle and around 605 mm ETT, room for Big Betty 2.4

My list so far:
    Orange Five
    Lapierre Zesty
    Transition Bandit
    Santa Cruz Nickel
    (Ragley 10-4 is a dark horse if it is ever actually released)

Any input highly appreciated

Cheers and thanks in advance
    /Johan

P.S. Here's a short display of intended use sommarlovsmorgon final 2 - YouTube

Swedetarded
    Tjena!!!

I LOVE my Nickel. So I'll tell you the same thing I tell anyone.....

I wanted a bike that could climb, but not a fragile XC bike. I wanted a tough as nails bike, but didn't want a 35lb monster. BMX track. Skatepark. Long XC rides. My Nickel does all of this for me. I've even had the bike at ナre and ran all the VM6 trails (except the black) with success, I would ride Shimano with it as well. What Santa Cruz says it does, the bike actually does, it truly feels bottomless for being a 5" bike.

I am running a 2.35 2ply Intense Invader on a Mavic 719 rim and have gobs of clearance.

Summary...I LOVE my Nickel. Best bike in this travel range I have owned.

If you want to try mine, come to Stockholm and we can ride Hellasg蚌den - Saltsjbaden - Hellasg蚌den.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Hej d!

mtbr member
    bandit is pretty new. good luck finding a used one this early. If you're looking towards 140mm then you will have much more luck with the Covert from Transition. You can find deals on v1.5 and v2 coverts. The v2 is the current 150mm version. I rode the v1.5 for 4yrs. great bike, overbuilt and jumped really well plus hard to beat the Transition guys for customer service!

Pinkbike's a good source for used rides. The reader/rider sleds there are usually geared towards harder riding. have fun hunting!
    always face the herd

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbigisbudgood View Post
    Tjena!!!

I LOVE my Nickel. So I'll tell you the same thing I tell anyone.....

I wanted a bike that could climb, but not a fragile XC bike. I wanted a tough as nails bike, but didn't want a 35lb monster.

I am running a 2.35 2ply Intense Invader on a Mavic 719 rim and have gobs of clearance.

Summary...I LOVE my Nickel. Best bike in this travel range I have owned.

If you want to try mine, come to Stockholm and we can ride Hellasg蚌den - Saltsjbaden - Hellasg蚌den.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
    Great input. Tack
    Trying it out in Hellas would be awesome. What size is yours (and how tall are you)?

/Johan

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    bandit is pretty new. good luck finding a used one this early. If you're looking towards 140mm then you will have much more luck with the Covert from Transition. You can find deals on v1.5 and v2 coverts. The v2 is the current 150mm version. I rode the v1.5 for 4yrs. great bike, overbuilt and jumped really well plus hard to beat the Transition guys for customer service!

Pinkbike's a good source for used rides. The reader/rider sleds there are usually geared towards harder riding. have fun hunting!
    Yes. I'm aware of that. And thanks for input on the Covert. I've actually been a fan of Transition ever since the launch of the Preston FR but never gotten around to buying one. I think my heart says Transition

/Johan

Swedetarded
    Mine is a Medium with a 60mm stem. Nickels have long top tubes.

I'm 1.7M.