mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New question here. Please help me choose a frame/complete bike as a secondary rig.

Hey everyone

So I live in Calgary, I enjoy DH and have an 07 Stinky that I built up a few years back. 7" front and back and it gets the job done at the resorts. Last year my rear shock was bottoming out on big hits but I've lost 55lbs since my last ride so I think it should be dialed this season haha.

Reason for my post, I need a second rig. The stinky is a pig, trail riding sucks with it (obviously). I have buddies who like XC and I want a second bike. I know me, even when I XC I'm gonna find fun so an XC bike I don't think is an answer, I need a descent weight all mountain bike, I think that's the happy medium. I'm in pretty good shape now so I think if I can build/buy something around 30lbs (the Stinky weighs in around 40lbs I think, close anyways) I'll be good to go.

Looking for some idea. I'll be buying or building used. I can wrench as my stinky was a build. Looking to keep it pocket friendly, well relatively I still like spending money on my hobbies haha. Would love to be under $1000, guess I could go to $1500 but would want a damn good rig for that considering the ages I'm looking at.

What I'm looking at: 05 Giant Reign with shock, $200 plus shipping. I like the fact I can slap a 160mm on the front and still have some good travel with far better ride-ability than my current rig. There's an 05 Spesh SX but that's $350, a difference I could put into better components. I think it's a push between the frames from what I've read.

Any other frames/bike I should look at in this ability/price range? If I can find good deals building may be cheaper, I'm thinking a Lyric or a Domain might be a descent match for the Reign which is what I'm leaning towards because of the price. I'm also expecting to have to replace the bearings.

Any thoughts and recommendations are more than welcome. Looking to dial in around that 30lb mark for something that will be able to take a bit of abuse. Nothing huge, but there will be jumps haha.

Thanks everyone. Please don't flame me too much, I always do research, just looking for some opinions. I'm not tied to an brand, don't think I'd wanna go older than 05 on the frame though and I've been happy with my RS and Marz forks over the years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    these are xc bikes in your area 2012 Kona Kula NEW

2011 Cannondale Rush SL

this el guapo is right up your alley. awesome bike here titus el guapo - Pinkbike