mtbr member
    Mar 2012

play in hub thru axle interface

I have a marzocchi 55. I just built a new front wheel and have a slight amount of play. it acts as if the bearings are loose on a loose ball hub. I measured the thru axle and the hub tube, and came up with between .0015 and .0017 difference. the hub fits tight side to side otherwise. what can I do to remedy this slop?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What kind of hub?

I had a brand new WTB hub that had bad bearings from the factory. Swapped them out via warranty replacements and all was well. Easiest thing is to throw the wheel on a different fork and see if there still play. This way you can isolate the problem to either the axle or the hub.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It's a sette hub. I've the same one in the past with no issues. Took it all apart and found no issues with the bearings. It's got a machined aluminum tube that rides between the bearings and axle. I'm wondering if it is a little off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Throw it on another fork and check. .

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    What kind of hub?

I had a brand new WTB hub that had bad bearings from the factory. Swapped them out via warranty replacements and all was well. Easiest thing is to throw the wheel on a different fork and see if there still play. This way you can isolate the problem to either the axle or the hub.
    My wife's WTB front hub appears to have this same problem. Side to side play, just enough to be annoying after 5 or so rides. Need to fix it this winter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    My wife's WTB front hub appears to have this same problem. Side to side play, just enough to be annoying after 5 or so rides. Need to fix it this winter.
    If she has the newer version of their Superduty the entire interface is a press-fit system. I have found that the bearings can be good but the outer end caps that hold them and the axle sleeve in place can become pushed out a bit and cause this wiggle feeling. Try putting a very large socket, like a 24mm size, over the end caps and tap it tight. Use wood on either side and a soft hammer. If she has a different version of this hub, might need to contact WTB to see what the issue is. Might send you a warranty set of bearings if they are the culprit.

The other problem is that WTB has changed the style of the end caps but don't reflect this in their diagrams, just like they offer different bearings for their 20mm front hubs but don't specify which model versions are which. I'm never getting another WTB hub again because of these issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well in my hub the axle tube goes thru end to end. The caps only act as bearing covers. and side to side there is no play. its nice and snug. only wobbly on the axle like loose bearings because of the gap in the tolerances.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    evil, which below hub do you have? #1 or #2?
    http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/product...jpg?1328728084

or
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/prodimg/42560_1_SuperSize.jpg

The second one is their older hub, from what I understand. If you have the ifrst hub, the axle does not go thru end-to-end. There are spacers on either ends and an axle sleve in the middle. Then there are end caps that hold it all together (the bearing covers that you refer to). You can pop the end caps off by inserting your axle into the hub a bit and prying them off like you would open up a beer cap. There will be 2 pieces when it comes off.

If the hub is brand new, you could have bad bearings in them. That is what happened to me. Once the bearings were replaced it was fine. A few months ago it felt like the bearings had gon bad and I thought it was way too premature for that to have happened. I tapped the end caps in to see if that was causing the play and it turns out that it was the issue. I suggest that you check yours. Call WTB if it does end up being the bearings. They might warranty them.

By the way, if you do end up haing to replace the bearings, grab a rental set of blind bearing pullers from the local auto store. There will be one spanner that fits the bearing. Get it tight and tap it out from the opposite side with a punch and hammer. I used a set of saw horses and 2 2x4's to hold the wheel/hub against. It was a bit of a PITA to do this and if the Hub wasn't laced to a brand new wheel I would have returned the damn thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I don't have a wtb hub. It's a sette dh 32h. I measured my buddy's wtb tube at it was within about .005 different. So I can only assume its the thru axle

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Evil, sorry about the confusion. I'd lean towards a bearing issue then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    No biggie. I pulled it all apart and had the tube separate from the hub and put it on the axle and it still had play. So it has to be either the tube or the axle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    A mil and a half would seem about right for it, but I don't know what the tolerances are and how loose it should be. 5 mils would seem like a lot. It could just be an unfortunate tolerance stack (hub went on the large side, axle on the small). I suppose you could ask sette to send you a new bushing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Where could I find a spec for measurements on hub bushings and axles so I could figure out which direction I need to chase?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'd call the fork manufacturer and ask what their typical gap is between the two or what are accepted values. It might be tough since they usually don't like to give that stuff up and don't have engineers man the phones. Actually, you could try rockshox since I think they were the originators of it. Good luck finding it. I'll do a search when I get home to see if I can find anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah I've been searching and searching. Can't really find much

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    20mm axle woes - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums

this is as good as I can find. Looks like from nominal, +.001/-.005 for the axle and -.001/+.005 for the hub bushing (again, if that is correct for the standard, and if those two companies followed the standard....).

out of curiosity, what were your measurements?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hub tube measures .798" and axle measures .784"

So by your find, the daxle tube is over sized. Ugh. I was all for going a buying a new axle. Not new hub parts.

Measured my buddies laser disc hub, it measured .790"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yep, your hub is too big. Call price point or wherever you bought it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah pp. Guess you get what you pay for. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This might not be relevant to your issue, but I had some play in some DT Swiss hubs and it turned out that the spokes were laced on too tight. Once I brought loosened the spokes a bit so that they were within the hub's acceptable tolerance, it seemed to fix the problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I confirmed my suspicion last night, measured a few other hubs, my hub is between .005 and .009 larger. I putmy axle in several other hubs and no issues.