mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Platform Shoes: Teva Pinner vs. Teva Links

I've tried the Links and they same pretty good for what I want.

*Reasonable weight
    *Decently stiff sole (at least in the store stepping on an edge to similate platform pedals)
    *Under $80

BUT the Pinner can be had for even less. How's these shoes compare? Sole as stiff? Durability?

I know 510s are popular too but the Teva's seem to fit my wide banana feet nicely.

Anyone?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member

Interesting. Rode pinners for a season and a half. Felt a little tight on my narrow feet. Sole was getting eaten by the pins (believe it's the same sole as the other tevas). Moved to last year's freerider 5.10s, fit better, way better grip, similar sole thickness / stiffness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by snodrift View Post
    Interesting. Rode pinners for a season and a half. Felt a little tight on my narrow feet. Sole was getting eaten by the pins (believe it's the same sole as the other tevas). Moved to last year's freerider 5.10s, fit better, way better grip, similar sole thickness / stiffness.
    How's the sole holding up? Weight?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member

The soles are holding up really well, uppers seem better made as well. I can't tell any difference in the weight between the pinner and the freerider. To be clear- this is not the newest version of the freerider with the semi-slick sole, but it does have a one piece sole that seems to resolve the rand-delamination probs they had earlier. Time will tell, but I'm sold on the grip over tevas.

mtbr member
    Fwiw, I've got two seasons on a pair on Links. They are pretty much on their last legs, great trail building shoes at this point. They fit like regular sneakers and provide all the grip I need, running with Answer Rove or Blackspire Sub4 pedals. When comparing the grip of the 5.10 to the links I prefer the Links. The 5.10 grip is like glue - its hard to reposition my feet on the fly without picking my foot up and replacing it. The links have more freedom of movement while still providing plenty of traction, IMO. I don't have any time with the Pinner for comparison though. I'll probably just buy another pair of the Links, maybe try the mid-tops this time for some more ankle support.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Rode on Pinners for over a year, good shoe in terms of quality and how well it held up, the sole did start getting torn up by the pins, lost my footing a lot the second half of it's life. I switched over to 510 freeriders a few weeks ago and love the grip, its wayy better then then Tevas. Agreed with the above though that its harder to reposition your feet. I feel way more secure though so I dig em. I'd like to try out the Teva Virgins when they come out. One thing I like about the Tevas is that they had more foot protection with the shocpad.