mtbr member

New question here. Platform Peddle You Can Clip Into?

Can anyone recommend a platform that has good grip for regular shoes and aggressive days that you could also clip into for more of an XC day?
    Four wheels move the body.
    Two wheels move the soul.

T.W.O.
    Shimano M647, CB mullet, Time Z, without Clipless shoes you'd still need to run something like FiveTen shoes to be grippy enough though as there's no pin.

usually cranky
    bad idea in general. the clip part will stick up making pedaling difficult.

mtbr member
    I run the Shimano PD-M454, but they really aren't meant for riding agressive without SPD shoes. It's more a choice for a clipless pedal that you can cruise to the store on with normal shoes. They're great as clipless pedals, but I wouldn't seriously use them on trails without clipping in. It's not hard to swap out pedals, just get a set of each and a pedal wrench/hex wrench.
    "Got everything you need?"

Sov
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The newer CB Mallets with pins instead of traction plates work okish with regular shoes, especially with the pins set high. I've ridden mine with 510s, and you can feel the clip section in the middle, but it's not too bad as the wings spread open and allow your foot to sink in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm not familiar with the new CB mallet, but, I'd be inclined switch out the pedals. It doesn't take long at all and I don't like compromising.

I would not recommend the Time ATAC Z's for non-SPD shoes. They are OK for this but don't compare favorably to a good downhill flat pedal as the clip part sticks up and reduces shoe traction. They are great pedals (but heavy).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Performance has these, one side with SPD and the other a platform. Inexpensive too if you're not sure about going clipless.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...3_20000_400936

perpetual pucker factor
    I have been riding a pair of Mallets for about a year now, with a pair of Shimano DX shoes. They clip in extremely easily and release very predictably. I've never had any issues with them at all. Never pre-released when hitting the underside of the egg-beater mechanism either. I am, however, a bit nervous about the spindles. I've read a number of stories of larger riders snapping the axle, although mine have held up well thus far. Time Zs have stronger axles, and they don't pre-release you if you mash the pedal down on top of a rock, due to their rail design. But they are far more slippery when not clipped in. In the long run, neither is a great pedal for everything. The Time Z is better when clipped in and built stronger, the CB Mallet is less expensive and much better (though still not good) when not clipped in. Neither shines when clipped out.

Honestly, I'm thinking very heavily about getting a set of the new CB Candys and a set of real dh platforms. If I'm riding with the more xc friends, I'll put on the clippys. If I'm riding what makes me happiest, I'll have full flats. It only takes a second to switch in the parking lot, and you won't end up with only one pair of pedals that doesn't do anything spectacularly.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Thanks Guys.

That's what I figured and I'm not willing to make the compromise.

I'll stick to my flats
    Four wheels move the body.
    Two wheels move the soul.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    I was looking for a similar product, because the more I ride gaps and dropoffs the more I want a lot of surface area on the pedals for safety. Small SPD type of pedals seem too small for AM uses and I've been looking for a wider option. Saw these as a budget AM clipless setup --->

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Produc...2_175197_-1___

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr willy
    Can anyone recommend a platform that has good grip for regular shoes and aggressive days that you could also clip into for more of an XC day?
    This is generally a bad idea. Platform clipless pedals are not intended to be used with regular flat shoes (no clips). While they are a lot better than no-platform SPDs when you momentarily are clipped out, as mentioned above the mechanism protrudes and generally makes it far mroe unstable than a regular flat shoe. The platform on these pedals gives you more ability to influence/control the bike with your feet, as well as makes it a lot easier to get clipped back in due to the large surface area, but they are not really intended to be ridden while unclipped, you will not have the traction of a flat pedal (pins!) with the appropriate shoes. "Half and half" pedals that are avialable in shops are marketed towards beginners, unfortunately the heaviest part of the pedal is the SPD mechanism and it always rotates down, making using it as a clipless pedal frustrating.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Would not it be easier to buy two pairs of pedals and put on what you want for a particular trail? Why suffer with a half-assed solution?

Get some Wellgo Mg-1 for cheap on Ebay, add Shimano 540s (or splurge on XTR Race), and get two pairs of shoes - some 5.10s, or even some cheaper BMX shoes, and something like 661s or Shimano for clipless.

Takes a minute to decide what you want and put appropriate pedals on. I even do this with my light bike - for a sprint adventure race platforms with regular trail running shoes worked quite well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sov
    The newer CB Mallets with pins instead of traction plates work okish with regular shoes, especially with the pins set high. I've ridden mine with 510s, and you can feel the clip section in the middle, but it's not too bad as the wings spread open and allow your foot to sink in.
    I'd agree, but I'd still be loath to head out on a trail without clipping in, even in Five Tens

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    This is generally a bad idea. Platform clipless pedals are not intended to be used with regular flat shoes (no clips). While they are a lot better than no-platform SPDs when you momentarily are clipped out, as mentioned above the mechanism protrudes and generally makes it far mroe unstable than a regular flat shoe. The platform on these pedals gives you more ability to influence/control the bike with your feet, as well as makes it a lot easier to get clipped back in due to the large surface area, but they are not really intended to be ridden while unclipped, you will not have the traction of a flat pedal (pins!) with the appropriate shoes. "Half and half" pedals that are avialable in shops are marketed towards beginners, unfortunately the heaviest part of the pedal is the SPD mechanism and it always rotates down, making using it as a clipless pedal frustrating.
    I agree. The clipless pedals with a platform are great, but only if you are using clipless shoes. If you are using flat shoes, get a real platform.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have CB Mallets and honestly I would not look at them as serious pedals to ride with regular shoes for MTB'ing. Clipped in they are great but riding them as flats is only for casual non technical occasions and all the time you will feel the clip-mech in the middle of your foot obstructing your ultimate ability to have full traction on the pedals.

Good compromise for if you need to pedal casually in a pinch tho..

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild
    I agree. The clipless pedals with a platform are great, but only if you are using clipless shoes. If you are using flat shoes, get a real platform.
    This is good advice - I run both clipless and platforms depending on the trail. If you're going to run platforms, do it right and get big, high-strength platforms with decent pins and be done with it. I got Straitlines and love 'em.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    fyi, the Time Z Control pedals are being replaced with 2 new and different models -
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/10/28/...ime-the-x-roc/

Though that doesn't change that I agree with what other people are saying - there are no pedals that exist for what the OP is asking. The big platforms with the clipless thing in the middle are ok for if you want to go for a short casual ride on the street (maybe you bike to work and want to bike a mile to lunch without changing shoes), but there's no way I'd ever want to use them for any sort of off-road riding. I've tried a couple of pairs even (Time Control Z's, Crank Brother's Acids, had a pair of Shimano's with the flat platform on one side and the clip-in on the other - those are terrible for mountain biking as you have to look down and flip the pedal over with your foot to clip in - annoying on the road, nearly impossible while doing anything technical on a mountain bike).

The only option is to switch the pedals on your bike.

I think we should start trying to answer a more practical question - does anyone know of a power tool that would make switching the pedals on a bike fast and easy? It's kind of annoying to sit there an unthread them from my bike. If there was a power tool that you could plug into your car that did it, you could switch pedals in under a minute I bet. Just keep the extra pedals and the tool in your trunk all the time.