Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Platform pedals for pedaling

I will preface this by saying that I do know about the platform pedal shoot out thread, I just really don't want to read 1K+ responses, most of which are people not really contributing.

That being said, I've decided to get a new set of flats to replace an older set of wellgo's that I have (non-replaceable pins, about half of which have been ripped out). So, I'm looking for a grippy flat that will do well on long pedally rides as well as descending.

1) Straitline de facto
    2) Saint
    3) DMR v12 mag

I'm not 100% what my riding conditions will be in the near future (moving to central PA), but I usually stay out of wet and sloppy conditions.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I just purchased a pair of Shimano Saint pedals and Teva links shoe.
    This combo works great and the pedals are very good looking

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007

Deity Skyskraper

Best platform on the market. Deity Skyskraper There is soo much grip it feels like you are glued to the bike. And damn they thin!! Plus they come in sexy colors to bling out your bike!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I ride rolling hills so have a lot of pedaling & have used the Straitline's for 3 years. The SL's are great; tough & easy to maintain. They're not as thin as some of the other pedals on the market..

mtbr member
    i have the Saints, love em

and fwiw, MTBA just tested a bunch of pedals. this is what they said about the Saints...

"Comments:
    Shimano is not the kind of company that releases a design with- out first doing their research. The Saint component group is designed to take all the abuse a gravity rider can throw at it. This pedal is a reflection of that mindset.

This pedal would have been at the top of our list for downhilling and bike parks. The tried-and-true bearing and axle system, combined with the burly pedal body, make for a bomber of a pedal that is perfect for gravity bikes. For trail riding, though, this pedal is overbuilt."

full test results... Shootout: Seven Flat Pedals Go Pin to Pin | News | mountain-bike-action
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

I'm with stupid
    When I get the cash Im getting the canfields. They look like winners to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am using Canfield Ultimates. They work fantastic for pedaling - but I installed much shorter pins than those supplied by Canfield. Not much mud where I ride - so original pins with fiveten shoes is gross overkill and they kinda negate thinness of the pedal. Still too early to comment on durabiity - but so far so good (2 month of not very intensive riding). I do like new (Ultimate) design better than the original. No bearing bulge.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm just looking at the three mentioned. I'm not interested (or financed) to look past them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    After 20+ years of clipless I went with the straitlines, mostly because they got great reviews and were made in North America. Been really happy so far, though I'd suggest maybe using shinguards for a while if you're making the switch. A little more pedal strike than I was previously used to as well. Pedaling efficiency both up and down has been great though, much better than I'd expected.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Platform pedals for pedaling

Superstars nano, I've tried a few flats and nothing betters these for the money. Check the feed back.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/produ...roducts_id=194

mtbr member
    I am on the Saints.
    Pros: grippy, largish platform, durable (body, pins, internals), less than $100
    Cons: a little heavier, a little less concave in profile, and a little thicker than the newest class of flats, more than $75
    4/5 stars, would recommend to a friend, blah blah blah

mtbr member
    What about the AMPs? They are lighter then the De Factos, you can be them for about the same price, great grip, and the platform is plenty big. I like mine.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    What about the AMPs? They are lighter then the De Factos, you can be them for about the same price, great grip, and the platform is plenty big. I like mine.
    I can find de facto's new for $88, used for around $60. I haven't found any amps for less than 125. I put $90 as my upper limit cause i feel that anymore money than that for a pedal is ridiculous. Hell, I paid less for my fork than some of these pedals cost.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by schlockinz View Post
    I put $90 as my upper limit cause i feel that anymore money than that for a pedal is ridiculous.
    Buy two pairs of MG-1s and go to lunch on the change.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Buy two pairs of MG-1s and go to lunch on the change.
    I've got a pair of mg-1. Nice pedal, but I want something a little grippier

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by schlockinz View Post
    I've got a pair of mg-1. Nice pedal, but I want something a little grippier
    I presume you've already got sticky shoes, yes?

The MG-1 pins *should* come out, and if they will you could load in some longer pins like Canfield uses. They're all the same M4 x 0.7 set screws. But, I have had no luck loosening up a pin in my MG-1s, they seem to be put in with a lock-tite compound that just won't let go. The allen wrench rounds out before the pedal turns loose of the pin.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I second the superstar nanos.
    Have used the mg1s and v12 mags also. Superstar nanos beat both hands down. Hard to get anything that light, solid and smooth for anything close to the money.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I love Straitline de Facto pedals. They're reliable and easy to service. They are awesome.

i really wanted to like the dmr's. I love the look of the shape and the v8 version polished are sweet and serviceable: but they are just too small for my feet. went back to teh beefy super tenderizers. serviceable, awesome shape for grip, removable pins, uber cheap, last forever and weigh about as much as a gun safe. the are my go to pedal.

Trying some unfortunately named Kore Torsion SX pedals on the 29er to check them out: much lighter, sealed, low profile, much less grip than primo super tenderizers or the dmr's but real comfy and wide for long rides.

so basically dmr's were too small and hurt my feet after a while.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I presume you've already got sticky shoes, yes?

The MG-1 pins *should* come out, and if they will you could load in some longer pins like Canfield uses. They're all the same M4 x 0.7 set screws. But, I have had no luck loosening up a pin in my MG-1s, they seem to be put in with a lock-tite compound that just won't let go. The allen wrench rounds out before the pedal turns loose of the pin.
    Try heating the pedals with a heat gun and clamp the heck out of the pins with vice grips. That should get those pins out. Don't use a torch or you will melt the pedals. If you use a powerful heat gun be careful with your distance from the pedals and how long you apply heat.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I love Straitline de Facto pedals. They're reliable and easy to service. They are awesome.
    I second this, ive owned a tonne of pedals and the straitlines are at the top of the heap, i couldnt recommend them enough.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    When I get the cash Im getting the canfields. They look like winners to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio8691 View Post
    I am using Canfield Ultimates. They work fantastic for pedaling - but I installed much shorter pins than those supplied by Canfield. Not much mud where I ride - so original pins with fiveten shoes is gross overkill and they kinda negate thinness of the pedal. Still too early to comment on durabiity - but so far so good (2 month of not very intensive riding). I do like new (Ultimate) design better than the original. No bearing bulge.
    Not a fan of the Canfields.

Main reason: Q factor. This is a design flaw with a lot of newer pedal designs out there. The lack of wrench flats/axle between the pedal body and the crank arm makes for a narrow stance. Everyone designing pedals these days has a similar body size parameter, but they're all too close to the crank IMO.

Canfields I used on a demo bike recently had me reeling. I was wearing 5-ten Impacts, and felt like the pedal stopped 2/3 from the edge. I want my whole foot on the platform. Not "most" of it.

(2 cents)
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy View Post
    Not a fan of the Canfields.

Main reason: Q factor. This is a design flaw with a lot of newer pedal designs out there. The lack of wrench flats/axle between the pedal body and the crank arm makes for a narrow stance. Everyone designing pedals these days has a similar body size parameter, but they're all too close to the crank IMO.

Canfields I used on a demo bike recently had me reeling. I was wearing 5-ten Impacts, and felt like the pedal stopped 2/3 from the edge. I want my whole foot on the platform. Not "most" of it.

(2 cents)
    Curious which flats you think don't have this problem. I'm feeling like my feet are hanging off mine.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Curious which flats you think don't have this problem. I'm feeling like my feet are hanging off mine.
    Twenty6 Predators.

Nice, big and wide, but surely a little too pricy... I just dig everything about them though. 100% USA made, by a real shredder. I'll surely keep buying them, even though they put me in the poorhouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

beater

Platform pedals for pedaling

Yup, I have both. Predators are much wider. Get the stainless spindles; they're much less expensive than the titanium.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast