Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Platform pedals with good bearings

Hey,

Just curious if anyone knows a good set of flats with bearings instead of bushings. I've tried riding bushing flats on xc and all mountain type trails but they don't spin fast enough and I've had a few pedals bind on tough climbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Syntace, if price is no object. My experience is that the ultra-thin pedals have to make compromises somewhere, and generally it's in the bearings/bushings. So if price is important, consider some thicker pedals with bearings (I've used Easton Flatboys and Specialized Lo Pro Mag 2's, and got both free spin and decent longevity from both) spin much better and last longer. On the cheaper end, I have a set of Forte Converts that spin pretty well, better than my Spanks anyway.

Lots of people claim not to care about pedal drag, but few feel the same way about bottom brackets and hub bearings.

mtbr member
    I ride Answer Rove pedal's which are sealed bearing.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member

Re: Platform pedals with good bearings

I had a used set of Easton cully fat boys, I ran them for 4 years, not sure how long dude before me put them on that bike, but until one failed, they were the most free spinning pedals if ever seen. Just the wind from being on the back of my car would spin them super fast!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Definitely not Point1 Podiums. My two sets ate bearings (especially the smaller ones) like no other. Constant maintenance on those sucked.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by 94krawler View Post
    I ride Answer Rove pedal's which are sealed bearing.
    I have a set of Roves too. They're reasonably thin at 17 mm, which was as thin as I was able to find for a dual sealed bearing pedal and the platform is a good size. Durability has been great. Bonus is they're usually pretty easy to find at a good price, especially if you don't mind black.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You can add another vote for the Answer Roves. Fantastic pedals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Definitely not Point1 Podiums. My two sets ate bearings (especially the smaller ones) like no other. Constant maintenance on those sucked.
    Or you could just not maintain them, my 2011 Podiums still turn... kinda.

On topic: Easton Flatboys seem to last forever and use bearings.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Or you could just not maintain them, my 2011 Podiums still turn... kinda.

On topic: Easton Flatboys seem to last forever and use bearings.
    I had a set of Eastons for a long time. They're well made but kind of thick and the platform is a bit small compared to more modern designs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I have a set of Roves too. They're reasonably thin at 17 mm, which was as thin as I was able to find for a dual sealed bearing pedal and the platform is a good size. Durability has been great. Bonus is they're usually pretty easy to find at a good price, especially if you don't mind black.
    What would be a good price on these?

mtbr member
    I see them on occassion for 49.99 on pricepoint. I got mine for that awhile back.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Those Syntace look sweet! I like how there's a size option. But damn expensive.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by 94krawler View Post
    I see them on occassion for 49.99 on pricepoint. I got mine for that awhile back.
    I got the same deal from Pricepoint. I couldn't find colors other than black for less than 79.99.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northender View Post
    Hey,

Just curious if anyone knows a good set of flats with bearings instead of bushings. I've tried riding bushing flats on xc and all mountain type trails but they don't spin fast enough and I've had a few pedals bind on tough climbs.
    I've been running flats for many years now and have been through several. Any decently designed pedal with a bushing should not bind, unless perhaps its totally un-maintained. Im 230lbs and ride lots "tough climbs" and xc, no bind issues, ever. In fact all the pedals I've had with bearings on the outside of the spindle always fail early. Due to the leveraging its just a huge amount of load on that end of the spindle. The best longest lasting pedal I've had used DU bushings on either end of the spindle, but I rebuilt them (new bushings) probably every year until the spindles where too far ovalized, although still worked good, just sloppy.

If you have to have bearings I would think about a pedal that uses double bearings on the outside. I am currently trying some Spike Spanks that use a large bearing on the inner spindle and outer bushing, so far so good but too early to tell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I totally recommend the Spank Spikes. Been riding hard and holding up awesome!

undercover brother
    +1 on the spikes. Amazing pedals. Super thin and grippy too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Big fan of the deity compounds. Completely rebuildable, grippy, cheap. Mine spin for days. deity ::: Compound Pedals - deity components

squish, squish in da fish
    bit pricey, but well worth it. the hope f-20's are built like a tank. +12 months of riding through all the seasons and their slop they bring & never once even looked at the bearings. 3 sealed and 1 norglide per pedal and they're still spinning like they just got broke in.

mtbr member
    i have the Saints, suckers are tuff and grip great. ive smack them hard several times on rocks and they spin like new

theyre $77 right now on Amazon

heres a disassembly video..

shimano saint PD-MX80 disassembly - YouTube

the bearings are right inside this...

2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Northender View Post
    Hey,

I'd have to ask what pedals did this happen on, it's not an issues with bushing pedals in general, just maybe the ones you had.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    it's not an issues with bushing pedals in general, just maybe the ones you had.
    i can't' agree more. i had a set of ______ pedals with inboard & outboard DU bushings & they literally fell apart in 20 miles. due to bad cs from _______ company and no real answer to when they could get me DU's. the store i bought them from felt to right the wrong of ____ co. they gave me the f20's. if i was buying again, yes i would buy them again. saints are tempting for the simplicity & price

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I'd have to ask what pedals did this happen on, it's not an issues with bushing pedals in general, just maybe the ones you had.
    I've used Twenty6 Ralley and Straitline Defacto

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    i have the Saints, suckers are tuff and grip great. ive smack them hard several times on rocks and they spin like new

theyre $77 right now on Amazon

heres a disassembly video..

shimano saint PD-MX80 disassembly - YouTube

the bearings are right inside this...

I have a new pair of these sitting in the box. lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I guess it all boils down to personal preference. When I started shopping flats I couldn't justify big bucks on pedals. I remember the Straighline defactos on the LBS owners bike were really stiff to turn, but he said he liked them that way.

I ended up buying the Shimano Saints, but took them off after the first ride. They kept rolling under my foot.

After that experience I wondered if it was the thickness of the pedal but still couldn't pull the trigger on $100 plus thin pedals, until I stumbled on a great deal on new Crampon Ultimate Mags.

With the hindsight of having ridden them now, I'd gladly pay full price.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

so why don't you use them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast