Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Platform pedals on AM HT?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  kristian 
#1 ·
I have a YelliScreamy that I built up for AM and heavy trail duties. I have been running flats on it, and I have tried to like it. But when I get into fast sections with lots of chatter or rocks, the sharp bucking of the back end kind of kicks my feet around on the pedals, and sometime even off the pedals.

Admittedly, I have not ridden platform pedals since I switched to clipless 6 years ago. But the other day I rode flats on a friend's Heckler and I wasn't bucked around at all. The suspension absorbed enough of the hits to keep my feet planted.

I also really like the feel of the platforms for technical rock gardens, because I can get moving again if I have to put a foot down. But the other side of that coin is that I get a LOT more pedal strikes with the flats than I do with the clipless.

Has anyone successfully and comfortably run flats on their HT? Is this a technique thing I just need to adjust to?

I don't mind clipless most of the time, but I want to do some bigger jumps and the like with this bike, and I hate getting air with clipless pedals...

#5 ·
Don't understand why your getting a lot more pedal strikes though, are you running slims?
Platforms have much more area (both leading and underfoot) to strike than clipless pedals do.

OP, there's a learning curve to flat pedals, just as with clipless. It'll take you a few weeks. You'll learn to stick to the pedals better. I had platforms on my Yelli, and was perfectly happy with them.

#6 ·
I ride a Yelli with 140mm fork & 650B wheels. For regular XC trail rides I use clipless but when Im riding somewhere thats more rocky & technical I put on a set of Spank Spike flats. Nice & thin for ground clearance and a big platform with lots of pins for grip. Cant say Ive had any issues like you describe, though I will admit to needing to ratchet the cranks once in awhile to avoid the odd pedal strike.

#11 ·
I've come full circle. Started with flats with a lot of grip but pretty thick - lots of pedal strikes. Switched to clipless and like them for pretty much everything. Had a lot less pedal strikes and felt like pedaling was more efficient. But - I did bale more often in up hill techy sections. After taking a class where they advocate the advantages of flats, I've gone to Spank Spikes. Thinner and more grip than previous ones. So far I think this combination works better for me.

However, for long xc rides that don't have much tech, I'll probably switch back to the clipless....

#12 ·
Figured I would follow up on this... just needed another week. I now feel 100% comfortable on the flats.

To the point I am putting them on my singlespeed too... because I now feel "trapped" by the clipless. Even though I haven't ever had trouble bailing really...

Glad to have you guys convince me to stay with it. I think consciously reminding myself to keep myheels down was the meal ticket.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.