Thread: Platform Pedal

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Platform Pedal

Hey guys

I am going to machine some platform pedals for my bike, I am currently coming up with a design, I have come up with something but I'm not sure what it is but I don't quite like it 100% I cant put my finger on what it is exactly maybe I'm just too picky,

So I thought I would upload some quick rough renderings and get some input from you guys and dedicate this thread to the making of platform pedals, also thinking of naming the pedals what you guys think of the name "Crisp"

Cheers Twiitch

Blue Pig
    Give meeeee
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Those are very nice looking!! i personally like machined in teeth as well kind of like the sunline V1's

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    make it so you can get the pins out from the backside like the prerunners

Shred all that can be
    Not that this would be done in the machining phase, but definately longer pins and possibly more of them.. overall it looks very well designed as far as utility and taking into account the problems/aspects that we face out in the trails. Looks durable too, but that's half design half material.. make em in magnesium with optional ti. Axle and you should have a winner.. oh and reasonably priced too
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

Blue Pig
    Def need more platforms with tons of longer pins.

usually cranky
    looks like a winner. i disagree with others that you need more pins, maybe longer ones though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've got three comment's.
    1) if it would be to hard to have made I would make the top of the pedal slightly concave (thinner at the spindle than the ends) this is for grip
    2) why is there so much slope those end parts? just curious of the reasoning not necessarily a downside
    3) make sure that there is enough gap at the spindle between the spindle and the crank so the ends have room to pass by the crank (couldn't tell from the pics)

other than that they look sick!

mtbr member
    with tyler on a slighter concave to the platform. As for pins..plenty there for me. I would definitely check out Straitline's pins to get ideas. I think the "pin" seperates the design.

I think you should call 'em Phlat Twiitches! let me know so i can rock a pair!
    always face the herd

mtbr member
    Really nice renderings. What program did use?

Design wise they look totally great but I'm not sure they depart enough from other pedals that are on the shelf to make it worth the trouble. Unless you just want to do it for the fun of the project. If so, why not I also agree with the concave comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal-straitline.jpg  

No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    nice phlats modifier! I've got first gen ones that are still going strong.
    always face the herd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119
    nice phlats modifier! I've got first gen ones that are still going strong.
    Those actually aren't mine. That pic is from someone else who posted it in another thread I have going. I just thought it looks pretty similar to the op's pedal design in a lot of ways.

I just got some Crampons. Guess I'm a sucker for people trying to push the envelope
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    This is exactly why i wanted all your inputs

Ok so basically ill add some more pins and make them longer ill also add a concave to the pedal this is not hard to machine at all, i will also shorten the slop i thought this was too long as well but just thought i would see what you guys think,

How about the overall shape and design is this something i should go back to and address you can make them vastly different to everything else out there but it also has to be practical
    What are your suggestions should we modify this at all what would you guys like to see ?,

I will upload some amended renderings tonight just to keep the ball rolling and hopefully get to the machining process as fast as possible cause i wanna ride with them

mtbr member
    i like the look of them
    what are the dimensions?

Ride.
    Jan 2011
    Im digging the design also. I was thinking maybe 1-3 more pins to create 4 rows of 3. The ability to add / remove pins to suit your needs is a very nice option. I agree that the slant seems a bit long and could really be trimmed down. I also prefer a straighter inner edge with a shaped outer edge contoured more like a human foot. Much like the straightlines but with fancier lines like you represent in your rendering. Try flipping your design, add a little toe area on the outside and keep them a bit narrower than straightlines.

I'd be happy to sport a pair on my ride if they are not super expensive. I like small production custom jobs and 1 offs.
    Last edited by scottishyard; 04-16-2011 at 07:07 AM.
    Broken & pieced back together (somewhat).

DIY all the way
    Try take a look at the Atomlab G.I. pedals (BB version that is), they have made a smart solution for getting the concave shape, and using it to allow for bigger bearings. It works rather well.

Also pins can be made of Unbraco bolts, with the head machined into shape. That way they are easy to replace if you have to.

I'll see if I can make a pic of the ones I made earlier, they turned out surprisingly grippy.

Pins should be made of same material or a softer material than the pedal body, as this allows for pins to break, without doing damage to the pedal body. I made my pins of aluminium bolts, and scored them to make sure they would break without damaging the thread at all.

Magura

DIY all the way
    Here you can see how I made my pins, and also the concave solution from Atomlab.

Magura

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Not much said about here about spindle and bearing design. This area presents some unique design challenges. You will want to keep the spindle full diameter at the crank end where the greatest bending moment is. But this forces you to increase the pedal thickness in order to have enough material to support the bearing. The spindle can be tapered to the outboard bearing which need not extend all the way to the pedal outside edge. Therefore the outboard bearing can be smaller in diameter.

In conjunction with these issues you must conside the type of bearings you will use. Sealed needle bearings are superior to plastic bushings but require a thicker pedal in order to have adequate bearing support.

I am not telling you anything you don't already know. I am just saying that these additional design considerations may force changes to the pedal configuration shown above. You will also need to not step on any design patents that may exist.

In fact, if you come up with anything new and unique you probably should not let us look at it before you patent and go to market.

Just saying that I appreciate the challenge you are taking on and I encourage all efforts to bring additional inovations to the sport, especially from a non global enterprise.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Seriously love the pedal design but hate those pins. Get pins on there like what Straitline uses and you've got yourself a winner IMHO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ok so i have plenty to work on now i will definitely through up a new rendering tomorrow.
    I will change the pins ill make up my own so they are much better, do they need to be adjustable in height ?? and roughly how high is everybody comfortable,

ill also put up another shape that i have in my head and we shall see which is better as for a spindle it will defiantly be a sealed bearing for sure

Blue Pig
    Half an inch set screws is win, for me, that is.