Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Pivot Mach 5 rear Triangle cracked on non-drive chainstay

I recently picked up a used 2008 Pivot Mach 5 frame, size large. Rode it for about 3 months and LOVE it! Until the rear triangle cracked. I will post a picture later, but the non-drive side chainstay crack all the way through just behind the reinforcement saddle that runs along the top chainstay junction that pivots behind the bottom bracket (parallel)--hope that description makes sense. I also noticed a crack on the same side on the bottom of the vertical section that runs parallel to the seatpost. It cracked at the weld with the chainstay. I had someone weld both cracks including putting a 'slug' in the chainstay, but both cracks have reopened. Any recommendations? Any size large Mach 5 rear triangles for sale?
    Last edited by kurtisk; 04-24-2013 at 12:24 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtisk View Post
    Any recommendations?
    Call Pivot?!

mtbr member
    May 2009

More details on Pivot's response

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Call Pivot?!
    I probably should have explained more.

Pivot has been no help from my perspective. They do not have any rear triangle spares from a bike they sold just 1 year ago. None. I don't mind not being able to get parts for my $50 DVD player as the parts and repair would be more than the cost new. To treat a $2200 bike frame the same way is bad business practice.

They offered a crash replacement through the dealer of $4-500 off a new frame. Note I bought a used frame so offering to replace it at 2-3X the cost of a used frame is not very helpful. Honestly, if I was buying a new Pivot I wouldn't pay full retail for it anyway, so the 'crash replacement' is full retail as far as I am concerned. And since the last one cracked @ 4 years old, a 3 year warranty is as weak as the frame.

My previous bike was a Titus (hence the interest in Pivot). My Titus RacerX developed a crack above the top-tube weld on the seat-tube, because of a garbage Sette seatpost. It was out of warranty, Titus had gone out of business and was just purchased by On-One. They sold me a new front triangle for $300. THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE! That is what I was expecting from Pivot, but alas...

That is why I am looking for suggestions for repair, or to see if anyone has a rear triangle to sell. Otherwise it's dead and as Miracle Max says, my only other option is to 'go through it's pockets and look for loose change.' Which I guess is parting it out and praying that there is a couple hundred dollars worth of aluminum in the rear triangle when I recycle it.

As it is I would warn anyone: DO NOT PAY HIGH DOLLAR FOR A USED PIVOT FRAME. If I had paid $1000-1500 for the frame as people are asking--and paying--I would be sick. And to Pivot I would say: Shame on you for not having replacement parts available for your bikes. As it is I would be reluctant to buy one of your bikes new because I can only expect to keep buying new when they need parts after the warranty is up. For a replacement I will be looking for a company that stands behind the full life cycle of their product. Unfortunately I have already bought a Mach 429 used as well and am just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

mtbr member

Re: Pivot Mach 5 rear Triangle cracked on non-drive chainstay

You bought a used frame and you are complaining that Pivot will only crash replace the frame. As a second hand owner they don't have to do anything for you. The fact they offered it shows they are a great company. Don't buy other folks used and abused frames and blame the company when they break.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbcol7 View Post
    You bought a used frame and you are complaining that Pivot will only crash replace the frame. As a second hand owner they don't have to do anything for you. The fact they offered it shows they are a great company. Don't buy other folks used and abused frames and blame the company when they break.

while i agree with you on your comment, it does not make any sens to me that a company does not have spare parts for a frame... The OP complaint was mainly on that fact
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

likes bicycles

Re: Pivot Mach 5 rear Triangle cracked on non-drive chainstay

Yeah that's the risk you assume for buying used stuff.

I agree it's kind of lame they don't have a replacement triangle available. I cracked my 2008 Transition Covert last season and they had replacements still. They also offered me a crash replacement for a lot less than 500 off, granted without rear shock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Dropshot Champ!
    You bought a used frame and you are complaining that Pivot will only crash replace the frame. As a second hand owner they don't have to do anything for you.
    honestly, ALOT of bike companies are standing behind their product even without being the original owner these days. It's surprising to me that pivot doesn't even have the part for him to buy though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Pivot Mach 5 rear Triangle cracked on non-drive chainstay

I agree that the rear triangle should be available. The OP isn't asking for a warranty, he is asking to be able to purchase a replacement part. Most manufactures stock and make rear triangles available for recent models. It would be nice to hear from Pivot about this, do they normally stock them and are temporarily out? Is it company policy for them to not provide rear triangles if on breaks? What do they do if one breaks under warranty, send a new frame?
    Riding slowly since 1977.

GAME ON!
    when i inquired about getting an updated rear triangle for my turner 5 spot, turner told me that they don't have any spares to sell. what i took from that is they are holding on to extras for warranty replacements only. you may have misunderstood the situation. they have triangles for people with warranties, they do not have triangles for you.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    May 2009

You are entitled to your opinion. And Pivot did at least try to work with me on a replacement, which says something. But the other comments get it right: where are the replacement parts? I you bought a 4 year old car and the transmission failed, would you be happy if they said you could buy a new one for $17,000 because they didn't have any replacements for the transmission and it could not be repaired? I understand that in some countries cars are like that. In the middle east (so I am told) when your Porsche dies on the side of the road you just leave it because there are no parts for them to have them repaired. And if you are the Sheik, you can probably afford it to drive a disposable exotic car. I bought a used frame because I can't (and won't) afford an exotic frame. I just wish I knew it was 100% disposable before I bought it. I should have picked up a used Motolite or FTM frame because parts are available and Titus will work with me.

The point of this tread is more about ideas to repair the piece if it is possible.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    ...they have triangles for people with warranties, they do not have triangles for you.
    I hadn't thought of that. You could be right.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The point of this tread is more about ideas to repair the piece if it is possible.

Here is a picture of the main crack:Pivot Mach 5 rear Triangle cracked on non-drive chainstay-photo.jpg

The crack on the vertical piece is just out the frame. Actually the welder noticed it.

I will try to upload a picture of the repair and subsequent cracking.

Someone suggested maybe wrapping it in carbon fiber. Anyone with experience with these things? Or is it just worth $.69 a pound?

mtbr member
    As terrible as it sounds, you may be SOL. Your best bet is to find someone with an out of warranty broken front triangle that you could buy and add to your rear triangle. But honestly, a 2008 aluminum frame, may not be worth saving....

I would also say that if you are going to buy used, buy Turner.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi,

I broke my front triangle while ago, so I have one spare rear triangle.

It was on a small frame, but isn't rear triangles all the same size?

It is also blue....but in Finland:-)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadro View Post
    Hi,

I broke my front triangle while ago, so I have one spare rear triangle.

It was on a small frame, but isn't rear triangles all the same size?

It is also blue....but in Finland:-)
    itsahappyending!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    itsahappyending!
    Shipping's gonna be a b*tch though.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Why Turner in particular?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have contacted Pivot to see if a small would work. I will pm you if it is viable to see if we can work a deal. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Shipping's gonna be a b*tch though.
    Nah, I wouldn't imagine it being that bad. A lot cheaper than a frame!

GAME ON!
    this resolution sounds too perfect. where's the curveball?
    RIP Adam Yauch

Dropshot Champ!
    this resolution sounds too perfect. where's the curveball?
    feels like we're back in the ironhorse forum days. heh

GAME ON!
    pretty much
    RIP Adam Yauch

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    when i inquired about getting an updated rear triangle for my turner 5 spot, turner told me that they don't have any spares to sell. what i took from that is they are holding on to extras for warranty replacements only. you may have misunderstood the situation. they have triangles for people with warranties, they do not have triangles for you.
    They have no 2011/2012 5-Spot rear triangles, either. They have full frames, and that seems to be it.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I don't know what other people value in bikes and bike manufacturers, but I value longevity, serviceability and a quality product that lasts. Some on this post talk like a 4 yr old frame that costs $2000 is used up, but $500 a year in frame costs is ridiculous. A $2k frame should not need to be thrown away in 4 years. We should not be such a disposable culture and we should expect more from bike companies.

My experience with my Titus bikes and most of my components--except wear items--has been the opposite. I am still riding my 2009 RacerX frame (bought new in 09 complete bike for $1400), the Fox F100 fork, and other non-wear items. I service the fork and shock, the bearings are original. That was my first bike and has set the standard for what I expect. And Titus will still sell me parts if something fails.

I personally won't buy another frame, either new or used, from a company that doesn't have parts available, unless they have a long/lifetime warranty period.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    First of all, this is a 5 year old used frame! How much did you actually pay for this? I hope not much I hope. I light of that I think the crash replacement was above and beyond what pivot needed to do for you. As has been mentioned elsewhere, if they DO have any extra rear triangles, they are going to save them for the customers who actually PAID for the frame to start with. And if they run out, they will have to honor warranties (which are 3 years) with new frames.

There is a reason used things loose so much of their value. Yes, paying $1500 for ANY used frame with a non-transferable warranty is pretty stupid. The reason Turner was mentioned is because the warranties are transferable.

Regarding not having old parts to sell: this is not just some odd bracket or rocker, it's half the frame. All the frame is is the front triangle, rear triangle and two rockers. This a not a part FOR the the frame, it IS the frame.

Out of curiosity, how much were you thinking the replacement triangle should have cost you if they had one to sell? Even if they did have half a frame to sell you, how much could they reasonable charge someone to whom they have exactly zero obligation to (a non-original owner of a frame 2 years out of warranty)? Seeing as the frame sold for over $2K, I think $1K would be pretty reasonable for half of it. So how much good would that have done you?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast