mtbr member

Pivot Mach 5.7c vs Santa Cruz Blur TRc (vs Santa Cruz LTc)

Test rode a Santa Cruz LTc over the weekend. I liked it a lot, but I'm not sure I need all that travel, so I'm kinda interested in the TRc. I'm coming from a 29er hardtail, so it does take some getting used to.

I test rode a Pivot Mach 4 about a month ago, but I think I want a little more travel than that - more trail/all mountain. So I've been looking at the Mach 5.7 - I feel like the TRc is kind of in the middle of those.

I know everyone says to demo, but it's really hard to find demos in my size - I'm 5"1'.

Thoughts? I mostly ride trails/singletrack in the SF Bay Area.

My climbing is my weakest point. I know that's rider fitness, but the bike does make a difference. It's definitely easier on my 29er hardtail than it was on the LTc over the weekend. Anyone have opinions on how the Mach 5.7 climbs compared with the TRc?

thanks in advance....

-laine

mtbr member
    Just to add to this - I think my question is more how the VPP suspension compares with the dw-linkŪ suspension.

-laine

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hi Laine,

I got my wife (5'3" short legs,long torso) a mach 5.7 close to a year ago,she loves it. She got the extra small, which i believe has a shorter toptube and better standover than either the size small LTc or TRc. DW link climbs and pedals amazing though I'm sure VPP does also. The Trc is supposed to be a super fun bike especially great for the bay area. The Mach 5.7 or LTc might be better though if you plan to also do some bike tripping to other techier areas (Tahoe, Downieville, Moab, etc). My wife was able to demo an extra small Mach 5.7 at Endless Cycles in Castro Valley. She loved it so much I pretty much ordered it on the spot.She never tested either of the Santa Cruz bikes though. We ride Santa Cruz area trails for reference where the 5.7 is great but travel as well. Try and demo both to see which suspension type you like better. If the Santa Cruz at all seemed big I would definitely try to demo an extra small 5.7

mtbr member
    Hi Moose1- Did your wife demo the Pivot at the Pivot demo day at Joachim Miller? Or did Endless have one at the shop for her to try? I did go to that demo day and tested the Mach 4 (which I liked), but I think I want something with more travel.

I don't think I'm going to do serious downhill like Downieville or Moab. I may ride in Tahoe, but I don't see myself doing the downhill at Northstar. I mostly just want the full suspension for Bay Area riding (though I do want to try Demo).

thanks,
    laine

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The woman who does bike fitting at Endless has an extra small that my wife tried. I think the Mach 4 is much less plush than the 5.7. I would take the time to demo both the TRc and Mach 5.7 if you can, and see which one speaks to you!