mbtr member

pinkbike dropper post poll

pinkbike dropper post poll-dropper.png

Pinkbike is running a poll about what dropper post you're gonna run next. Honestly, i find the results kinda embarrassing. The Reverb has proven itself to be an unreliable pile of shit, and its leading the poll. Gravity Dropper, the american made simplest, lightest, cheapest, first post has massive lag behind thomson, who have proven to be inconsistent and unserviceable for the user, and barely a lead over crank brothers, who have consistently proven their inability to produce a quality... well anything, really. WTF is wrong with us? Obviously i'm a GD fanboy, but fox, giant, and 9.8 are making good posts too, why are we so in love with the mass produced big product?? If you haven't seen a reverb crap out it's cuz you don't ride much.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    The poll is rigged. And I refuse to concede that I don’t ride much.

mtbr member
    A lot of people are brand slaves. Fashion sheep. Not just in cycling, it's the same all over. Daft women who'll spend a grand on a plastic handbag because it says Geovachi on it.

The richer a celebrity or company is the more people want to worship them, without ever seeming to wonder how they got so rich in the first place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, the Giant only comes in 30.9 I believe. GD is, frankly, ugly. I will say my early production Reverb was junk, but they gave me a brand new one for a warranty replacement. It finally needs a rebuild three years later. I'm good with that. Now, my KS LEV that has a crap clamp which bends and becomes unusable? That thing sucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    I will say my early production Reverb was junk, but they gave me a brand new one for a warranty replacement. It finally needs a rebuild three years later. I'm good with that.
    I also had an early Reverb that crapped out after less than six months of use and was replaced under warranty. Based on that experience, when I wanted a dropper for another bike (sold the first one), I went back to a Reverb. Did the same exact thing as the first, wouldn't hold air pressure and wouldn't extend. Did it in the same time frame too, less than six months. This time Rockshox refused to warranty it claiming that the air seals are a wear item and require regular servicing for proper function. OK, I get it, sort of...take care of your suspension components, but the (apparently) required service intervals are pretty darn frequent. I don't ride in sloppy, wet conditions but I'm rebuilding this post twice a season. Very disappointed in Rockshox.

MTB B'dos
    The Reverbs are popular because you can normally find them cheaper on sale, but with the amount of them I've seen crap out, there's no way I've ever consider one. When I was looking this time, the only post that fit the bill was the 9point8 Fallline, price was hot, no sale on them, but I got a great post with the option to run either a normal or offset head, user serviceable and fairly simple at that, mech cable actuated.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Anyone has experience with 9.8, especially the 175 version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'd like an offset Fall-line but they don't seem to sell them over here (UK). I need an offset post and options are limited.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Happy to see vecnum moveloc with 16 votes! I wonder how many employees they have

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    People buy what they are told to buy. Fox and rock shox. The issue with GD is that it is ugly as sin and the only place to buy it is on their web site.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If it were all about brand, I would think Fox would be leading the charge. To me, they scream quality, based on my experience with their stuff. Rockshox is the opposite (as is anything SRAM related), again, all based on my personal previous experience. That said, I do have a Pike that I am loving right now, so my opinion of them may change.

Regardless, if I were buying a dropper, it would be a Fox based on the most recent reports I have read.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I put a Gravity Dropper-style post on my old bike (T Mars) to try out a dropper. It's still there working great 2 years.

I bought a new (2015 model) bike that arrived last week. It had a Reverb which didn't even work out of the box. It's already in for service. It had been sitting for a long time, but who knows. It didn't contradict my negative (forum-driven) impressions.

I went to the Gravity Dropper website. One problem is that they don't seem to have a solution for stealth cable routing. Also, for all the people complaining about how they look, you'd have thought that they could have figured out an alternative for the ugly boot. I don't mind it, but it seems to cost them sales.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    One word. OEM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cadoretteboat View Post
    One word. OEM.
    isn't that three words?

passed out in your garden
    He meant one acronym
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Damn you internet. everybody knows knows everythings.

MTB B'dos
    You know you can buy direct from 9point8 right? That's how I got mine, had to go on the waiting list first as they were in between production runs, but once they got them in only took a week to get mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I'd like an offset Fall-line but they don't seem to sell them over here (UK). I need an offset post and options are limited.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    3 years on my KS LEV DX. I'll stick with that. Easy to break down and maintain and parts readily available should I need them. It's an excellent post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Since I haven't seen a multi-page thread on Shimano or EThirteen I assume that neither is out yet? It I am interested in both: Shimano because they have stayed out of this so far and SURELY they have learned from a market of "mistakes." Interested in EThirteen because it sounds like a rip-off of GD without the boot and possibly a better switch? Although I expect EThirteen will find a way to have QC issues even with the most simples of designs.

mtbr member
    Specialized and giant come stock on bikes, very few people actually buy them.

I have both and they both rock in their own ways. Spec is nearly bomb proof, giant is top quality. Only downside for the giant it is that you cannot adjust the air pressure.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    If it were all about brand, I would think Fox would be leading the charge. To me, they scream quality, based on my experience with their stuff. Rockshox is the opposite (as is anything SRAM related), again, all based on my personal previous experience. That said, I do have a Pike that I am loving right now, so my opinion of them may change.

Regardless, if I were buying a dropper, it would be a Fox based on the most recent reports I have read.
    Agree.

I've had/have three Pikes and a Boxxer and all are fantastic, but wouldn't run a Reverb for free. Too unreliable.

The Fox Transfer is the real deal. Awesome post, and I've been riding droppers since the GD first came out. Just wish the Fox had a quicker return like the Spec.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've got a 16 Reverb that has been good so far. My next build, I ordered a Bontrager. Looks pretty good design wise and the ability to repair is a big plus.
    2016 Remedy 9
    2016 Farley 7
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9
    2017 Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    The straight post can be converted to an offset. It's a great post.

pinkbike dropper post poll-6.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    I have both and they both rock in their own ways. Spec is nearly bomb proof, giant is top quality. Only downside for the giant it is that you cannot adjust the air pressure.
    Specialized 1st season, worked good, towards the end got sticky. At beginning of 2nd season, had to send it back, because it would stick and not return. After rebuild, it wasn't much "tighter" and it started sticking again in just a few months, I always had to lube it before a ride to have any change of it not sticking, and on long epic rides it would tend to stop working. At 3rd season, gone...Not very impressed, however, it was pretty light for a dropper.

Replaced it with a Fox Transfer, which I only have a couple rides on, but I'm happy with it.

Bought one of these for the other bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I feel like I'm one of the few still rocking a standard, rigid seatpost, haha. The dropper discussions on here have kept me from pulling the trigger on one.

However, last week, I bit the bullet and built up a Yeti SB4.5, sans a dropper. When asked by the Competitive Cyclist staff which dropper I wanted, I was like....uhhhhh, no clue.

After reading tons of reviews this past week, I may try a Specialized or Giant dropper, as they seem fairly simple designs and i have numerous dealers near me, for warranty issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a Reverb and KS. Before KS came out with cartridges that the end user could buy, I stuck with a Reverb because I can service it myself. The newer models are quite reliable (except for the 170) if taken care of. Hydraulic actuation is the dumbest thing ever. I can't believe they just took the remote from the old lock out mechanism and reused it for their dropper.
    The KS cartridge makes repairs pretty simple, and the fact that the remote is cable actuated is a win.
    Keep in mind that dropper posts are the most sophisticated piece on the bike. Holding up several tons of pressure with tiny o-rings and keeping the weight down is quite a feat. Their service interval is at least as the rest of your suspension.
    Remeber also, they all fail, especially if not taken care of.

mtbr member
    A lot of people are brand slaves. Fashion sheep. Not just in cycling, it's the same all over. Daft women who'll spend a grand on a plastic handbag because it says Geovachi on it.

The richer a celebrity or company is the more people want to worship them, without ever seeming to wonder how they got so rich in the first place.

I upgraded my fork and added a dropper to my hardtail. I went with X-Fusion on the recommendation of my LBS bike mechanic. The LBS doesn't even sell X-Fusion. He said people are married to Rock Shox, Fox, Manitou and KS. He rides X-Fusion because they're under the radar, they make quality components and have great customer service.

When I recommend X-Fusion in a thread, it gets buried with posts from the big brands. I guess that will keep them under the radar.

mtbr member
    My 3yr old Reveb is going strong. The only maintenance I've done to it is put new fluid in the hydraulic line to the remote and bleed it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    Rockshox is the opposite (as is anything SRAM related), again, all based on my personal previous experience. That said, I do have a Pike that I am loving right now, so my opinion of them may change.
    Wait till the crown starts creaking. The longer I have my Pike the more I'm convinced it's a POS like the rest of SRAM's products.
    The only thing SRAM is good for is cheap disposable chains & cassettes for my commuter bike.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    Keep in mind that dropper posts are the most sophisticated piece on the bike. Holding up several tons of pressure with tiny o-rings and keeping the weight down is quite a feat. Their service interval is at least as the rest of your suspension.
    Remeber also, they all fail, especially if not taken care of.
    See, that's absolutely ridiculous. Holding several tons of pressure with a side-loaded o-ring is just a stupid design. Especially since GD established a dropper post should be maintenance free 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Wait till the crown starts creaking. The longer I have my Pike the more I'm convinced it's a POS like the rest of SRAM's products.
    The only thing SRAM is good for is cheap disposable chains & cassettes for my commuter bike.
    I had good luck with the 'wick some locktite in to the crown/stanchion interface' fix on my lyrik. ...but yeah, sram seems to design their stuff for people who buy a new bike every year
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    3 KS LEVs on 3 different bikes, the newest one over a year old, the oldest over 3, and absolutely no issues. I ride a lot (almost every day) and on some trails use the dropper post more than I shift. Maybe I'm just luck, but I've got no reason to buy anything else.

mtbr member
    I've been using X-Fusion posts on several of my bikes, they have been great, I go a year or too without a service. I like that I can easily service them and seals are readily available either directly or on Universal Cycles. I don't like the ATF filled from the factory so when I service them I use 5W Belray fork oil since I have it. That seems to work better for me. If you have the right amount of oil (sometimes it's a bit low from the factory) and the right air pressure they work great. I am only using the Hilo and Hilo SL though. I have 27.2, 30.9 and 31.6 models in my family.

mtbr member

I've run the Reverb for years with no issues. Just have to bleed every six months. Run a KS Lev Integra that crapped out after 6 months and had to be sent back in. And no way in hell I will ever run a stupid GD post. The 90s called and want there design back! Trying out the new Fox Performance on the new bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    9.8 is going to be next for me

mtbr member
    Was gonna say Ritchey ^^ but it's been pulled from their web site!? (could have sworn I saw it their a day or two ago after seeing it on YouTube)... guess it's not as reliable as they made out in the video

https://youtu.be/FczqRPs2p6A

PS - a lbs I frequent likes KS as they're easy to service... it's cheaper at my end too i.e. less time servicing it = less $$ spent

PSS - I also own a Reverb & it's been a pain in the arse Tis great between services though

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm a KS fan. I've had my post for a couple of years. Knowing that all posts fail, I learned hoy to service and bleed my post. It takes me 20 minutes including cleanup to disassemble, clean, change seals and o-rings, bleed, grease and assemble.
    Replacement parts are very easy to get. When I've had problems sourcing something KS US has been extremely helpful (Chris).

So now that I know how to keep my post working "forever" I'm not changing brands.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Giant Contact 2016 on my Trance has been amazing. You can always use a shim.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I own a KS LEV. It is arguably the crappiest piece of MTB equipment I've ever owned. Their customer service is even worse.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sancycling View Post
    Knowing that all posts fail
    They don't; we just keep on picking crappy posts, servicing them constantly, and bellowing our love.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DimitrisCSD View Post
    The Giant Contact 2016 on my Trance has been amazing. You can always use a shim.
    This could be my next one too ^^

395mm one which equate to 125mm travel (+shim o/c).

Problem with Reverb is, in those 6-7 months - I've only ridden it 6-7 times (usually defer to 29er with eTen on it)

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've got two KS droppers from 2011 and 2012. One of them went in for repair once, and came back quickly at no charge. Other than that, they just work.

"Maintenance" consists of the following ritual before 2 out of 3 rides... extend, squirt some suspension lube on the post, move it up and down a couple times, ride.

It surprises me that reliability is still a problem for some brands.

May contain nuts
    Bought five Reverbs over the past five years. Only one failure and a clean and lube service was all it needed. I think people aren't servicing their posts often enough because of cost or a reluctance to take on a seemingly difficult job dismantling the post.
    Actually pretty simple to work on with a few basic and inexpensive tools.
    Viva la Reverb.

mtbr member
    My Reverb took a dump on the first ride. I clearly forgot to maintenance it!

I replaced it with a 9.8 and it was great when it worked, but I've had tons of issues with it and now it just sits on the shelf.

So, I put the stock dropper back on. Specialized Command post. It's been flawless. Should have never bothered trying to "upgrade" it to begin with.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

I'm done with the Reverb after owning 3 and having all 3 fail at random intervals. I currently have rigid posts on my bikes.

What's the word on the RF Turbine? I'm hesitant to get another dropper but the RF looks solid.

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cadoretteboat View Post
    One word. OEM.
    boom. That is why I have a Reverb right now. And THAT is why I'm looking at other posts.

I personally have gone through a Joplin, 2 KS's, a Reverb, and a Command Post. The CP was the most reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I'm done with the Reverb after owning 3 and having all 3 fail at random intervals. I currently have rigid posts on my bikes.

What's the word on the RF Turbine? I'm hesitant to get another dropper but the RF looks solid.

I know nothing about it. But supposedly Shimano and eThirteen are releasing their first droppers this year so you may want to keep them in mind too if you don't mind waiting a bit longer.

All fat, all the time.
    Reverb is garbage, and people are dumb. Is this a surprise?

mtbr member
    My Xfusion Hilo was solid.. My Fox DOSS was ok.. My KS DX was nice.. and I'm not sold on my current Easton Haven dropper..

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I currently have a Reverb on my new bike (came stock). Old bike had a KS Lev DX. Got to admit, I much prefer the feel and performance of the KS Lev over the reverb. I really do not like the spongy feeling of the hydraulic operation on the reverb, and the lack of remote options sucks. The Lev was simple, mechanical, and just worked like a dream. I had my Lev for a little over a year and never had an issue with it. I am leery of the reverb that I have now, but figure i will use it until it dies. Been heavily thinking of getting the dehy kit for it to remove that spongy button feel, and have an under the bar mounting.

mtbr member
    What I find interesting, not just from reading this thread but many others like it, is that there is clearly no correlation between price and reliability. Strange, as you'd kinda think there would be. I certainly think there should be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What I find interesting, not just from reading this thread but many others like it, is that there is clearly no correlation between price and reliability. Strange, as you'd kinda think there would be. I certainly think there should be.
    That is a great observation. I think the difference with droppers is that there are multiple aspects that are really important to the buyer and some trump reliability. For example, continuous adjustment within the defined range of travel, or aesthetic, stealth routing. There may also be a much stronger negative signal regarding a low priced product, i.e., below a certain threshold it is considered "junk" by most consumers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What surprises is me that the industry keeps pumping out mediocre parts at premium prices. How many years have droppers been popular? And yet we still have the same issues that have been around since the beginning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    What surprises is me that the industry keeps pumping out mediocre parts at premium prices. How many years have droppers been popular? And yet we still have the same issues that have been around since the beginning.
    There is also a "total cost" including returns element. No one but GD builds a reliable product, although people speak highly of 9.8. The price includes the markup needed to cover returns to some degree. I wish they published the actual numbers on returns but these MTBR threads are likely tip of the ice berg. How can any of these companies make any money even at these prices unless the cost to them, excluding overhead, is like $20.

Even GD with a reliable post, probably doesn't make a ton of money because the poor aesthetics and lack of continuous movement severely limits their market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My 2017 Slash came with the new Bontrager Drop Line. After 60 miles it will no longer raise back up under its own power. In talking with Trek, there were some issues with first units, but the new cartridges (which are very easy to replace) should solve the problem. Even with this failure, I prefer the drop line over the Reverb just because I an not thrilled with the idea of a seatpost leaking fluid inside a carbon frame. I probably have about 400 miles on my Reverb with one rebuild about a year ago.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pablum police View Post
    Some folks, including me, have moved away from GD posts because we wanted more features like infinite adjustment and longer range (Thomson and 9point8).
    It's a small sample size, but both people i know who bought thomson posts lost pressure in the air spring, shipped them back to thomson (cuz they're a shit design and can't be serviced in any fashion), and sold the rebuilt units to buy something else.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mbtr member
    Yeah, that's the "problem" with this type of post (pun intended).

Small sample sizes. No issues with my Thomson or my buddies' but I still sold and moved to 9point8. Fingers crossed that it's as reliable while I get extra travel. Only time will tell.
    Totally, although i think even a 5% failure rate in 1-2 years is unacceptable when you have to send your seat post across the country to get it repaired. Especially when the first post to market was as reliable and simple as GD.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Why do you imagine that leaking fluid "inside a carbon frame" is a big deal?
    I am not a chemist, but concerns over the hydraulic fluid having an adverse affect on the epoxy used in the carbon fiber (which is likely unsealed inside the frame)... probably not an issue based on this, https://www.dymax.com/blog/?p=1038 but still something to think about. I am sure actual material compatibility would depend on the type of epoxy used and the specific fluid...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This is simply not true. Droppers have been around for more than a decade.

Gravity Droppers, very simple mechanical posts, have been extremely reliable since they were introduced. Not mediocre in the least.

Some folks, including me, have moved away from GD posts because we wanted more features like infinite adjustment and longer range (Thomson and 9point8).

Many folks who whine about "reliability" have gone the cheap route over and over and have been burned because they didn't do their homework and/or weren't able to afford well-researched and manufactured posts.
    I'm not sure what part of my post you feel is false. If you disagree with the fact that historically premium products (with premium prices)that Rockshox and KS make had have countless issues with QC, reliability, and other issues I don't know what to tell you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah, that's really obvious.

Let me help you out here -

Rockshox and KS have never made "historically premium" dropper posts. They have sucked from the time they were introduced.

You're splitting hairs at this point, given that that was my very point in my original post.

The phrase I left out which I assume would be inferred was "marketed" as premium, including price obviously. The industry as a whole then accepted them as such, and here we are today.
    Last edited by Fluidworks; 11-16-2016 at 09:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    I'm not sure what part of my post you feel is false.
    Nor do I. It seemed perfectly clear and sensible to me.

Many of the posts that have been relatively expensive have had poor reputations for reliability compared to some of the cheaper posts. Certainly no better. I think that's obvious, not hard to understand at all.

I think two of the underlying issues with expensive posts might be complexity and weight. If you charge a lot of your post you want it to be light and seem complex enough to justify the cost, neither of which are conducive to reliability. It seems to be the simpler posts that are the most reliable.

I was in a bike shop a few months ago and the guy was trying to talk me into a new electric post, which he said was more reliable! I asked how he figured it would be more reliable and he said 'Because it's simpler, no cable'. I looked at him and thought 'Are you stupid or do you think I am'.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Again, pure speculation with no basis in reality.
    Actually it is not pure speculation, and there is a basis in reality: certain hydraulic fluids can have material compatibility issues. I stand by my view that a seatpost with lesser chance of releasing hydraulic fluid into the frame is a better design, both from the standpoint of leakage and also from possible material compatibility issues. I expect that SRAM probably did their homework when selecting the fluid used in the reverb, but I doubt they performed compatibility tests with every version of carbon fiber, or every composite used in the various press fit bottom brackets...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Given how this thread has become one of my favorite types of MTBR threads--not quite a train wreck, but devolving into near personal insults where the purchase of a Reverb is the litmus test for one's sheer stupidity, to people who apparently take everything they read literally and then want to argue over every jot and tittle in the text, so I went back to the OP to answer the age old question "what does it all mean?" Okay, so the OP started by posting in disbelief that the Reverb was "winning in the polls". Because it is a "total POS" and leading to the cry of disbelief "what is wrong with us?" Huh? The poll results make perfect sense.

The tangents in this thread also made me wonder, with the popularity of "Hamilton," maybe he would have lived a longer life if they had a Trolling medium back then instead of resorting to dueling? Or maybe MTBR needs a dueling option?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Which specific hydraulic fluids have "material compatibility issues" with which carbon composite bike frames? Since you are proclaiming this "problem" surely you have data to back up your claim. Right?
    I can assume that you are about to post your data listing which frames can safely have which hydraulic fluids left inside them?

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    fixed, with unnecessary censorship:

I can assume that you are about to post your data listing which **** can safely have which **** fluids left inside them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    fixed, with unnecessary censorship:
    Ah, see what you did there! 'bout as funny as piles though.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Ah, see what you did there! 'bout as funny as piles though.

Yeah, I was drinking. Hilarious at the time. Back to the topic: I just ordered the Fox post with the black coating, and my Reverb will be a backup. I'll let you guys know when the Fox breaks.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    Yeah, I was drinking. Hilarious at the time. Back to the topic: I just ordered the Fox post with the black coating, and my Reverb will be a backup. I'll let you guys know when the Fox breaks.
    The first generation was a good (if heavy) post; hopefully the new one will be the same.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just ordered the 9point8 with 150mm drop. Have only heard great things about it and I can service it myself which is one of the top attribute of any part on my bike. Have a Command Post IR that's over 2 years old with no issues and a 7 year old Gravity Dropper. I like the mechanical droppers because of the reliability and easy to work on. Seen too many others fail. My buddy's Lev Integra blew up on him at an out of town race. He was pissed because it was only 6 months old and KS refused to warranty it. Hopefully the 9point8 is as reliable as my other 2 posts. Wanted more travel and just wanted to try something new.

Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD
    What about new 2018 fox transfer with kashima and internal routing?
    OK

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Reverb came with the bike. Over 50 hours so far with no issues yet. When it fails, I'll replace it with whatever you guys tell me to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    Just ordered the 9point8 with 150mm drop. Have only heard great things about it and I can service it myself which is one of the top attribute of any part on my bike. Have a Command Post IR that's over 2 years old with no issues and a 7 year old Gravity Dropper. I like the mechanical droppers because of the reliability and easy to work on. Seen too many others fail. My buddy's Lev Integra blew up on him at an out of town race. He was pissed because it was only 6 months old and KS refused to warranty it. Hopefully the 9point8 is as reliable as my other 2 posts. Wanted more travel and just wanted to try something new.
    Good luck. Between my RF version and then 9Point8's, neither has lasted a month without some issue. Not fully returning(1/2" short) continually an issue with the RF. I'm on my third one, it needs to go back this time because it doesn't hold air now. My 9Point8 stopped holding air over a month's time. A quick warranty turnaround, 12 days maybe, compared to to 4-5 weeks with RF. Now I've already had the brake slip a couple times at full extension, sigh. I have 3 Fox droppers in the family and they have all worked flawless. The new 18 in my wife's bike does have a lighter touch than the 2 17's. I later found they reduced the pressure internally. Transfer's are just too damn long to run a 125mm in most frames I run though.
    Trek Stache 7
    9:Zero:7 Whiteout
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Bronson

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    The Giant works well, is fairly light and can change cartridges on the cheap. However, the cable when run internal does not bode well when the housing is bunched-up and crammed inside. You'll get an annoying, 10mm sag, every time your bum touches the saddle.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD
    maybe you should loosen that barrel adjuster on remote?..
    I don't have any sag..
    OK

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_Pepa View Post
    The Giant works well, is fairly light and can change cartridges on the cheap. However, the cable when run internal does not bode well when the housing is bunched-up and crammed inside. You'll get an annoying, 10mm sag, every time your bum touches the saddle.
    External routing is worse. The lever under the saddle is exposed to crap flicked by your wheel but near impossible to clean without taking the saddle off. The lever also sits in a channel that is perfect for filling up with mud and grid. Doesn't take much for that little lever to get stuck down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Remove the post and try it without the housing. When my first cartridge failed, the symptom was sag if I sat down within a second or two of letting the post up. This was reproducible even manually actuating the release with the post off the bike.

My replacement doesn't ever sag. Nor should yours if it isn't overtensioned.

Quote Originally Posted by ka81ua View Post
    maybe you should loosen that barrel adjuster on remote?..
    I don't have any sag..
    It don't matter.... if the cable inside the tubing has any kind of S or L bend - it will sag. The best remedy is the PULL out the cabling taut. This way, a gentle curving bend inside, will restore proper operation again.

Otherwise, it's a great dropper for the money! I tried:

KS-LEV
    Reverb
    DNM
    Transfer
    DOSS
    Crankbrothers
    Specialized
    Gravity
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD
    You kidding? How there can be S bend of hose with cable inside?? ))
    Or i just don't understand you correctly cause of my bad english...
    OK

because GIANT
    need DVO Garnet and BikeYoke Revive...two new players and both posts rock
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

because GIANT
    don't you pull housing out of frame as you insert the post ? so there is no bunching up ?
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member

Yeah great points. I get sick of hearing people shit on sram as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betarad View Post
    The poll is rigged. And I refuse to concede that I don’t ride much.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dropper.png 
Views:	344 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	1103915

Pinkbike is running a poll about what dropper post you're gonna run next. Honestly, i find the results kinda embarrassing. The Reverb has proven itself to be an unreliable pile of shit, and its leading the poll. Gravity Dropper, the american made simplest, lightest, cheapest, first post has massive lag behind thomson, who have proven to be inconsistent and unserviceable for the user, and barely a lead over crank brothers, who have consistently proven their inability to produce a quality... well anything, really. WTF is wrong with us? Obviously i'm a GD fanboy, but fox, giant, and 9.8 are making good posts too, why are we so in love with the mass produced big product?? If you haven't seen a reverb crap out it's cuz you don't ride much.
    Good post. Too bad more people aren't onto the bontrager post. I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    don't you pull housing out of frame as you insert the post ? so there is no bunching up ?
    I do, but the steering effect eventually bunches it up again. I have to pull it out 2-3 times a ride...

mtbr member
    The poll is really which post is going to come stock on your next bike.
    Most trail bikes come with droppers, and most people use the stock dropper.

Not which post will you buy for your next bike, as most of you understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by ka81ua View Post
    You kidding? How there can be S bend of hose with cable inside?? ))
    Or i just don't understand you correctly cause of my bad english...
    I am NOT kidding. My Pivot carbon frame has a Di2 battery port on the lower downtube. When I removed the cover plate - I saw a loose S bend inside....

because GIANT
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    The poll is really which post is going to come stock on your next bike.
    Most trail bikes come with droppers, and most people use the stock dropper.

Not which post will you buy for your next bike, as most of you understand it.

you are likely correct

-bike came with dvo
    -didn't fit me at max height
    -not many droppers fit and give max extension at ride height
    -bikeyoke does

so, bikeyoke wins my review. because it fits, and is nice. but not
    because it is the best one I ever tested or anyting...I wanted max height to
    be my ride height

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by @Ride@ View Post
    Good post. Too bad more people aren't onto the bontrager post. I love mine.
    I'll sell you one, once it comes back from warranty that is! 6 weeks I've been waiting during prime riding conditions for a seatpost to be covered by its 3 year warranty. BTW the bushings aren't supposed to go in that short of a time frame... I got it the beginning of the year and 400miles later my old eTen works better.

My new Fox Transfer is excellent! No creaking seat clamp, no sticky drop no matter is your seated off center on it. Nose or back it drops the same and nice and fast. Only drawback is its a bit longer than some posts.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mbtr member
    It's really weird to see this post back from the dead. I don't have much to add to it; i've spent another year blissfully riding my gravity dropper posts. I replaced the glide shims (free) on my oldest post after 8 years; it was a 10 minute job that required no tools. If your primary values are light weight, domestic production, and easy service, GD is still the answer.

I'd be wary of any post that hasn't been around for a few years at this point, and for me i'd prefer 135mm of drop over the 125 i have. 150 is more than i need. The increasingly common cartridge posts make a lot of sense (no side loaded seals), if you trust the manufacturer to support the product.

I'm out of date with dropper posts; it's hard to pay attention when you're not constantly having to deal with a shitty post!
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Gravity Droppers are bombproof. Sure they're ugly and only external routing but the parts are cheap and always available. I have a 9point8 Fall Line and that thing slips in cold weather whereas my buddies that have GDs never have issues no matter the temps. That has prompted me to get the E*Thirteen dropper, basically the same concept as the GD. It uses a spring to move the post up and down, super simple to work on, and parts are cheap and available for complete rebuild for home mechanics. I like to fix my own stuff and too impatience to send things in and wait weeks for it to come back. It also meets my criteria of internal routing and 150mm of drop.