mtbr member
    Mar 2008

PINCHING BAD, help please!!! am i too heavy for a hardtail??

ok so i weigh like 190 without gear and ride a jamis komodo (hardtail) and have pinched literally once at least in the last 7 or 8 rides and I cant figure out why, all in rear. i run a 2.25 trailbear and im not sure if the sidewall is thin or i just choose really really really bad lines. i tend to plow a little but do not just run over stuff for the sake of doing it. i am running like 50 or psi. so what should i do?? get a freeride tube? are there any 2-ply tires that are reasonable light and cheapish? any info would help a ton
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Try a stans tubeless setup and some better tyres.

A good all round dual ply tyre is the 2.5 Maxxis high roller.

I have run a tubeless vsn of this for ages. For all round riding try the 60A compound as it will last well and you will be able to run 30-35 psi without it folding over.

They weigh 1200gms but they don't ride "heavy"... if that makes sense

For the record, I've been tubeless for 5 years or so and I only puncture once or twice a year at most. For me that easily justifies the extra cost

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    90% of punctures are caused by poor fitting technique. Are you using tyre levers?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I went thru a stretch of bad pinching - it was crappy tubes. Either run DH tubes and/or dual-wall tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yep, I'd try DH tubes and tyres before worrying about the bike! Or, if you want to play around, get a stans tubeless conversion kit, it should take care of your worries!

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwimtber
    Or, if you want to play around, get a stans tubeless conversion kit, it should take care of your worries!

Unless you keep using ordinary single ply tires.. its possible to pinch right through them as well !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    the trailbear (like most IRC tires) are a bit thin. I would definitely go to a higher quality tire (checkout ebay, tires can be had for much less there), and make sure your rim is properly taped (not too thick, one layer only), and then just make sure you don't use tire levers when putting a tire back on after a flat.

mtbr member
    I'd say poor line choice. I weigh at least 250 in my gear. I ran Trailbears for many years with xc tires and between 40 and 50 psi. I rode all over the Northeast and didn't flat that much. While I tend to not always take the smoothest line, I've been riding for a long time.

That being said, I pinch flatted more with the trail bears then with some other tires I've run from Nokian and Kenda. But non of the others were DH or 2ply tires.

MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
    Suffered for years like you.

Went to UST's with Stans 8 years ago and flat only about every 10-12 months or so, usually when I've max'd the life out of a tire.
    RTR

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    ... and make sure your rim is properly taped ....
    This is most likely the problem. The rim tape has probably shifted to the side and the tube is getting cut on the edge of the spoke holes. Just the smallest exposure to one spoke hole would cut the tube. Otherwise there is dirt inside or a thorn in your tire.

You are not pinch flatting with your far over pressured tires. Try 30/35 psi front/rear for firm pressures for very rocky high traction hard riding conditions. Lower a few PSI for better traction where it's less rocky and traction isn't so good.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    I would agree. I ran my trailbears at 35 psi when I was 200 pounds without any problems. 50 psi would make them like a rock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I would start with checking the rim tape also. I use slime tubes which I have had great success with. You can run low air pressure in these tubes. I weigh 205, and I run 30-32 pounds in the front and 38 psi in the back. No problems.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    This is most likely the problem. The rim tape has probably shifted to the side and the tube is getting cut on the edge of the spoke holes. Just the smallest exposure to one spoke hole would cut the tube. Otherwise there is dirt inside or a thorn in your tire.
    My money's on this explanation. Derby describes a problem I've seen quite a few times and it's usually rim tape not covering the spoke holes.
    Bike good, work bad.

Pinch flatting at 50 psi is really hard to believe. Are the pinches on the inner or outer part of the tube (in relation to the rim)? Checking the rim tape or other parts of the rim surface in contact with the tube makes more sense....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo4429
    ok so i weigh like 190 without gear and ride a jamis komodo (hardtail) and have pinched literally once at least in the last 7 or 8 rides and I cant figure out why, all in rear. i run a 2.25 trailbear and im not sure if the sidewall is thin or i just choose really really really bad lines. i tend to plow a little but do not just run over stuff for the sake of doing it. i am running like 50 or psi. so what should i do?? get a freeride tube? are there any 2-ply tires that are reasonable light and cheapish? any info would help a ton
    thanks
    I agree with the others that you are probably not actually pinch flatting. I'm about 190 with gear and I can run 36 psi rear / 32 psi front with similar sized xc tires and light tubes and rarely pinch, and I ride rocky terrain. I suspect a problem with the rim or tape.

one man team
    Dec 2007
    lol Im 280 and I ride a hard tail Diamondback probably pinch because do to lack of air in tube? Thats what I noticed when I pinch mine, I keep my psi at higher, maybe 45,50 because Im a heavier rider and enjoy a stiff rear tire. I dont think your weight is the problem lol, that should be the last issue.

mtbr member
    Some poor advice with the dual ply tires and DH tubes IMO, especially for a bike you have to pedal. I ride a hardtail for 90% of my riding including DH resorts fairly often. I use single ply nevegals with cheap tubes I bought in bulk. I ride in the rocky north east and land some fairly large jumps, weighing 195lbs without gear i NEVER pinch. I run about 29 psi in the rear and 25 or so in the front. Check the rim strip as advised above. If thats not the problem check the tire for thorns or as a last resort maybe your pressure gauge is reading incorrectly

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by dascro
    Some poor advice with the dual ply tires and DH tubes IMO, especially for a bike you have to pedal. I ride a hardtail for 90% of my riding including DH resorts fairly often. I use single ply nevegals with cheap tubes I bought in bulk. I ride in the rocky north east and land some fairly large jumps, weighing 195lbs without gear i NEVER pinch. I run about 29 psi in the rear and 25 or so in the front. Check the rim strip as advised above. If thats not the problem check the tire for thorns or as a last resort maybe your pressure gauge is reading incorrectly

That really depends on trail conditions and riding technique. The OP mentioned he plows through stuff.. thats definately an easier way to pinch than large drops. Ive recently stopped using single plys for my AM ride because of the rocky terrain where i ride. Maybe some high quality single ply ust's would do the trick, buts that's a maybe for me, and certainly for lots of other people. I went to dual ply to rid myself of problems with certainty. With the pressures you're mentioning i would tear through some tires.

Yeah dual ply is overkill for some AM riders/bikes.. buts for others it the ticket to (more or less) worry free tires.. and great handling once you get used to them!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have the same problem with single ply tires as the OP. I pinch on a pretty regular basis if I don't run 50+ psi. 2ply tires should take care of you. That or pick up some super low durometer tires so that you can run it at high pressure but still get good grip.

I'm running two wheel sets. My DH wheelset has maxxis highrollers (previously minions for the last year) 2.5 3C's tubeless (for both sets) that seemed pretty bomb diggity, no flats ever on the minions, just set the high rollers up last night so I'm not sure how they'll work out tubeless (stans rim strips in one, ghetto in the other, my old rim strips valve is clogged and I didn't have a valve core remover) but I assume fairly well.

For my XC wheels I have 2.4 single ply advantages that seem to be working out pretty well, not the best grip ever but pretty reasonable. Its not the maxxpro version, not even sure what durometer rubber it is. At any rate, I run it about 50 PSI. Good luck with whatever you figure out works for you.

edit: oh, and heres another tidbit: I learned DH on a hardtail, and now I'm on a downhill bike (that I use for everything). My pinch flats didn't go down when I moved to FS, if anything they went up as I got lazier with lines. The tire will still pinch if you're running the same lines.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    ok all so i guess ill fess up haha, i didnt have an actual floor pump and since i switched to presta valves i havent been able to check my pressure so ive been checking it by sitting on the tire and trying to make sure it didnt compress that much. anyways i think i was probably running like 25 psi or so because when i put 35 or 40 in there it felt WAY harder than anything i had been running before. so i guess we will see how that work tomorrow, riding tour de julien in san diego, if nothing changes well go from there. i also checked the rim tape and its all good and every flat i had was a snake bite with two distinct hole about the width of the rim. chalk it up to being a rookie i guess, thanks a ton though all

Nerdy Jock
    Jun 2008
    Just some added information - I too ride a Jamis Komodo (2.0) Hardtail, but have not gotten a single flat yet.

I rode the thing at Whistler with fairly low psi - something around 30-35 - and thrashed it hard. No problems. That is with Maxxis Hansventure tires and some no-name tube (not freeride tube).

Maxxis Hansventure tires are amazing.. I highly recommend them

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Get off the seat when railling through bony trails! It's a big mistake guys trying out hard tails make if they've been riding (seated) dualies for a while...I learned the hard way-now I stand and pump on the hard stuff...rear flats significantly minimized.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo4429
    ok all so i guess ill fess up haha, i didnt have an actual floor pump and since i switched to presta valves i havent been able to check my pressure so ive been checking it by sitting on the tire and trying to make sure it didnt compress that much. anyways i think i was probably running like 25 psi or so because when i put 35 or 40 in there it felt WAY harder than anything i had been running before. so i guess we will see how that work tomorrow, riding tour de julien in san diego, if nothing changes well go from there. i also checked the rim tape and its all good and every flat i had was a snake bite with two distinct hole about the width of the rim. chalk it up to being a rookie i guess, thanks a ton though all
    If you are in fact pinch flatting - and not having a rim tape problem as derby suggest - then I would recomend you run larger tires. Larger tires = greater air volume = greater load carrying capacity at a given pressure = fewer pinch flats.

local trails rider
    If really was pinch flatting and it wasn't the incorrect pressure reading, then it is bad line choice and hitting the angular objects too hard. On a hardtail you need to use the legs to soften the ride in the rear.

mtbr member
    are you hucking or jumping to flat??