Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pike SO vs Dual Position?

Historically forks with travel adjust are not as smooth or plush as non-travel adjust, with all the valving. They tend to be more problematic also, more parts to go wrong.

BUT it would be nice to have the front end lowered for more comfortable climbing on a bike with a slack HA.

So has anyone ridden both the SO and 2P Pike's and can offer some comparison?

Thanks.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member

Re: Pike SO vs Dual Position?

I had a lyrik solo air 170mm, mission control no floodgate for more than a year. I recently had it rebuilt due to creaky stancions, RS replaced uppers turning my fork into 160/130mm dp air, mission control with floodgate.

I gotta tell Ya, I miss my old fork! My biggest complaint is that I feel it bottoming out when it really doesn't bottom out.
    I'm not sure what is causing that bottoming out feeling, but I miss my solo air!

I may go coil to, but my air was just fine.

I'm in the camp of, if a fork does many things, it does none of them very well.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm also interested to hear any feedback on this and whether the Charger damper is affected negatively by the Dual Position Air.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by innovator8 View Post
    I'm in the camp of, if a fork does many things, it does none of them very well.

Amen to that! Couldn't agree more...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I heard that the Dual Position have more unsprung weight and aren't as buttery smooth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i have what used to be just a lyrik R. i swapped out all internals, dual position, dual flow rebound, and mission control DH. the fork rocks for anything i throw at it. and when the trail points up i can switch the flip and have a more comfortable climb. to me rock shox has the dual position dialed in and it doesnt create any adverse riding characteristics.

with that said, a friend went from a fox 34 talas 140 to the new pike dual position 150 on a niner wfo and has loved it.
    Juice

Kiwi that Flew

+1 ^^ My DPA Lyrik is so buttery smooth even after 2 years with NO servicing, just lubed and clean stanchions after EVERY ride. (I have added 30ml per side lower lube though)

deano

mtbr member

Re: Pike SO vs Dual Position?

Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    +1 ^^ My DPA Lyrik is so buttery smooth even after 2 years with NO servicing, just lubed and clean stanchions after EVERY ride. (I have added 30ml per side lower lube though)

deano
    Which mission control damper do you have? With floodgate or without?

The only issue I have is it sometimes gives the feeling of bottoming out when it actually doesn't on big drops.

Kiwi that Flew

Which mission control damper do you have? With floodgate or without?

The only issue I have is it sometimes gives the feeling of bottoming out when it actually doesn't on big drops.

It's a RC2L with mission control damper. Has the lockout too which I planned to remove if I was ever not happy with the small bump performance, but it has not ever been a problem. Actually having the lockout is good for long flat climbs on the road to a trail head. The only negative to owning a Lyrik is that no other fork will equal it IMO. 2010 Revelation was crap, 2012 SID is okay, 2006 Reba was good, 2012 Lyrik is amazing. (I'm not interested in Fox as I am bad at maintenance)

dontcha?
    Any feedback from people who actually have a Pike?
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    It's a RC2L with mission control damper. Has the lockout too which I planned to remove if I was ever not happy with the small bump performance, but it has not ever been a problem. Actually having the lockout is good for long flat climbs on the road to a trail head. The only negative to owning a Lyrik is that no other fork will equal it IMO. 2010 Revelation was crap, 2012 SID is okay, 2006 Reba was good, 2012 Lyrik is amazing. (I'm not interested in Fox as I am bad at maintenance)
    Cool cool cool, so do you ever do any large drops? 4 to 6 feet?

It is only here that I sometimes feel that the fork bottoms out when it has an inch or two left.

Thanks,

Jeff

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't have any experience with the Pike, but i thought i'd mention--i have a Revelation dual position and i am also aware of the problems with the dual position. I noticed the other day that you can purchase the "dual air" internals on ebay for pretty cheap ($70). My plan is to enjoy the dual position while it lasts, and if it causes problems i'll just convert it to a dual air. Might be you could do something similar with the Pike...
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by captain spaulding View Post
    I have a Pike 150mm Solo Air, 26". Did not try the DP. However, I did replace my 2012 Fox CTD 32mm 150/120mm Talas. Pike is a giant step above the Fox. Smoother, stiffer on off-angle hits, just now breaking in after 7-8 rides. went with less psi then recommended, use all of the 150mm. I also changed the stem from 90mm to 50mm, making low speed tech stuff much easier. I notice no problems climbing, same performance as Fox. I never did use the 120mm setting on the Fox, not worth the hassle to change for the trails I ride. Pike is also 50 gms lighter, not bad for 35mm vs 32mm stanchion.

dave
    2012 SB66c

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I haven't ridden an SO Pike yet other than a few pushes in the parking lot, but I was pretty stoked about my new DA Pike on the first ride. It feels at least as plush as my Lyrik SO and I felt like I used a good amount of travel for the ride. I haven't taken it off any drops yet though so I can't really comment about bottom out on bigger hits.

The bike I put it on is going to be my "epic ride" bike, and there usually ends up being a fair bit of climbing on those rides so I chose the DA. It is by far the easiest travel adjust I've owned (both U-turn coil and air). It feels very solid and is very quick to adjust. Time will tell about durability though. It's modular though, so if it poops out on me, I will just switch to an SO spring. I figured it was worth a try to go DA and my initial opinion is very good.

Stand back
    I don't have any issues with my dpa Lyrik. It's my favorite fork, behind the Avy tuned Marz 888 from my Jedi. I've only parking lot tested a new Pike solo air, but couldn't discern any advantage, plushness wise.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Kiwi that Flew

Cool cool cool, so do you ever do any large drops? 4 to 6 feet?

It is only here that I sometimes feel that the fork bottoms out when it has an inch or two left.

Thanks,

Jeff
    I only do drops up to 4ft, but not often. No bottom out issues here.
    Deano

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I've got two rides in now and couldn't be happier with this fork! I adjusted my fun meter a lot on this ride and I am using A LOT of travel on small to medium size bumps. However, I didn't ever feel a harsh bottom out when throwing it down some crazy lines or on small ~3' drops. I don't ever intend for this to be a huck bike so that fits perfectly with my expectations.

One of my buddies had his SO Pike on this ride and I thought mine felt a lot more plush. He is using more pressure and less low speed than I am so this makes sense. It's nice that the Pike has the adjustability to ride however the owner wants it to. For me, I want it to be as plush as possible and my DA Pike delivers! Riding this fork makes me want to spend a little more time dialing on my Lyrik.

The only drawback is that I almost went OTB a few times because my weight was too forward on techy climbs and the fork dived more than I was expecting. I will need to learn to compensate a little I guess.

PULL
    One question, did you use full travel?

I had my wrench convert a solo totem into a dual position and find it almost impossible to use the last inch of travel. I have fooled with every setting on my mission control, floodgate, rebound, air, oil level, etc and no dice yet. The force required on the last inch is pretty colossal.

I'm really leaning towards the solo Pike for my new nomad build as I'd like to use every inch of travel on my trail bike.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I RARELY ever used full travel on my coil Totem--it seemed to really ramp up at the end of the stroke. The only way I could use all the travel was with the light spring and no compression, but that was too divey so I went back to the medium. I guess what I'm saying is that it might not be the DA that was causing your Totem to not bottom out. I was never really in love with that fork.

I regularly get full travel (on two rides of experience) with my Pike DA. If I were doing a trail with more drops, I would probably air it up a little more, but I haven't noticed a hard bottom out despite rolling down some pretty interesting lines.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by captain spaulding View Post
    The Pike Solo Air is amazing... First ride it felt so good I literally started riding lines I wouldn't have tried before. I am sure the Dual Air is great too but I simply dropped my stem 10mm(since this photo) and called it a day... I think it's the first matte black & organge Bronson I have seen with a White Pike. I really like it:

Pike SO vs Dual Position?-bronson-pike-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    @kristian:

I am in a similiar situation as you as I build up a bike that I will use for multi-day tours in the swiss + italian alps (quite some steep climbs there), so I guess would be good to have adjustable travel. Do you have any issues in the meantime with your dual position? Did I understand you correctly that the dual position is actually convertable to a "normal" solo position in case that it proves unreliable?

mtbr member
    The SA and DPA are not interchangeable. A SA fork has a dimple on the inner tube to allow negative pressure in its chamber. The DPA achieves the negative air pressure in a different way. So no mixing of the two. The DPA has one additional seal and may add a very minimal amount of friction, you'd never know! Very plush and the DPA works well and very reliable, a very simple system.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My 2013 camber comp Geo is supposedly only good for a fork with 120 mm of travel. Do you think the pike could be used in the 120 mode and only use the 150mm for decents? Or does the different Geo really stress the frame that much?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountaineer View Post
    The Pike Solo Air is amazing... First ride it felt so good I literally started riding lines I wouldn't have tried before. I am sure the Dual Air is great too but I simply dropped my stem 10mm(since this photo) and called it a day... I think it's the first matte black & organge Bronson I have seen with a White Pike. I really like it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bronson Pike 1.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	846650
    I didn't know you could get the Pike Solo Air in white.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Sorry I missed your reply! The only "issue" I've had is the fork packing on climbs twice (down to about 20mm of travel). It's only on smooth road climbs that this has happened, and it was fine again on the descent. I'm still very happy with the DH performance of the fork, and the climbing is good too.

@ Ethan, I'm almost certain that you can take all of the spring guts out of a DP and convert to a Solo (buying new Solo guts). If not, Rock Shox would have to build a separate lower and/or upper assembly for each version, and that's not like the way they usually do things. I could be wrong though. As of yet I have no reason to explore that option further.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast