Thread: Pike settings.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

Pike settings.

I was wondering if someone could give me some setup advice for a Pike 454 u-turn( no Pop-Looc). A starting point at least. I tried to do a search but we all know how well that's working. Thanks for the help in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    I was wondering if someone could give me some setup advice for a Pike 454 u-turn( no Pop-Looc). A starting point at least. I tried to do a search but we all know how well that's working. Thanks for the help in advance.
    Air or Coil?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've got a 2005 spec Pike Race coil - no pop-loc. Been running it for 18 months now.
    I started with the compression adjuster full soft and dialled in the rebound as normal.
    Then went a couple of turns from full stiff on the threshold thingy. I run with the compression adjuster at full soft most of the time and flick it round to the locked position for climbing. With 2 turns out on threshold, it gives bob-free pedalling and still soaks up the bumps fine. I think it's plush enough to run like this all the time, but I usually go back to full soft to get the best small bump compliance. Some people say that the threshold adjuster setting affects compression damping even at the full soft position, but I can't tell the difference. I do sometimes try to run with the compression setting mid-way, but the adjustment is very non-linear i.e it only makes a difference very close to the locked position. I use this setting for drops and jumps.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uktrailmonster
    Some people say that the threshold adjuster setting affects compression damping even at the full soft position, but I can't tell the difference.
    I don't find the floodgate (threshold) makes any difference when running the compression full soft. It makes sense as it is very difficult to build up enough pressure to open the floodgate with the compression dampener run full open.

Try this link, somewhere in the thread I give my best shot at an explaination o fmotion control...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...56#post1498056

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uktrailmonster
    I've got a 2005 spec Pike Race coil - no pop-loc. Been running it for 18 months now.
    I started with the compression adjuster full soft and dialled in the rebound as normal.
    Then went a couple of turns from full stiff on the threshold thingy. I run with the compression adjuster at full soft most of the time and flick it round to the locked position for climbing. With 2 turns out on threshold, it gives bob-free pedalling and still soaks up the bumps fine. I think it's plush enough to run like this all the time, but I usually go back to full soft to get the best small bump compliance. Some people say that the threshold adjuster setting affects compression damping even at the full soft position, but I can't tell the difference. I do sometimes try to run with the compression setting mid-way, but the adjustment is very non-linear i.e it only makes a difference very close to the locked position. I use this setting for drops and jumps.
    I've kinda come to the same conclusion. I feel no differance messing with the gate setting(threshold) when compression is at full soft. People say that with a little compression dialed in and some threshold that it prevents diving but to me it just makes the fork feel harsh.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I don't find the floodgate (threshold) makes any difference when running the compression full soft. It makes sense as it is very difficult to build up enough pressure to open the floodgate with the compression dampener run full open.

Try this link, somewhere in the thread I give my best shot at an explaination o fmotion control...

How much do you weigh and what settings do you run exactly?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    How much do you weigh and what settings do you run exactly?
    I weigh about 190 lbs without gear. As for settings, read my post that I have linked. I run either scenario #2 or #3, usually #3. I like #3 better for lower speed technical stuff which is my prefered type of riding. If I hit a section that will be a lot of high speed hits, I open the floodgate one click and things smooth out. I am thinking of spending some time with more of a #2 setting, and working to get that dialed in more, as it will allow me to run a firmer floodgate setting for xc sections (I can lock the fork out more)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ah yes floodgate! That was the word I was looking for.

Threshold = Floodgate in my previous post as you have all worked out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta

Interesting thread and I'd be inclined to agree with your reasoning behind the different setting options. I've experimented a little with your high compression / low floodgate idea but I should try it more often. I would imagine it gives the compression damping a digressive curve, which is not a bad thing. If you get the settings optimised, this should make the most use out of the motion control system.

I've generally been using my motion control as more of a climbing lockout ie. fairly high floodgate setting and flicking the compression lever between full soft (normal riding) and full lock (when climbing). As you say, I doubt the floodgate ever opens with the compression set at full soft, when used like this. But using it this way is very effective for eliminating front bob when out of the saddle. From the way the manual advises you to set up the fork, I think this is how RS intended motion control to be utilised.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    pretty much leave mine full open all the time. i'll have it a bit firmer if the trail is a bit on the smooth side, and fully locked/closed/whatever if hitting the pavement to a trail or something. otherwise i rarely use it. if screwing around on urban stuff i'll firm it up quite a bit.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper