mtbr member

Pike coil or vanilla rlc 130 ?

Hi everyone. First of all, let me apologise for starting another thread about this, please be gentle.
    Well, I`m searching for opinions of some of you that owned a vanilla 130, and changed to the Pike, i know this fork it`s highly rated by a lot of people here. Was it worth it ? Overall i like the vanilla, but the Pike seems more suitable for my kind of riding : I ride in a mountain, i have 15 or 20 minutes of hard climbing,then great singletracks, and coming back home, i can choose from easy descents, or downhills with jumps and drops.My complaints about the vanilla :it could have travel adjust for climbing, and on 4 or 5 foot drops it bottoms to easy. I already checked and i have the right spring for my weight (70 Kgs). Appreciated for your attention.

P.S. : To avoid questions like " what bike it is ?", there`s a pic. Also sorry for my english.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paste eater
    Never rode a PIKE. Love the Vanilla. If you bottoming out your Vanilla, RLC i'd have to wonder if you've got it tuned some kind of wierd? I'd increase the spring rate, and increase Compression and give it a run. Compression dampening is the balls if you ask me. BTW, if your an agressive rider there is no reason you can't step up to a heavier spring -- especially if your on the cusp wight wise.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

sold my Vanilla- kepy my Pike

I was never completely happy with the Vanilla- it flexed (enough to make my brakes rub), creaked, and never felt right- even after trying different settings, springs, oil, and a full factory overhaul at Fox. Lock-out was very finickey, and service when I had an issue took forever. My pike, on the other hand, was easy to set up, easy to service, and when I had an issue with it, RS sent me a completely new set of uppers and lowers right at the ned of the warrnaty period. I weigh in at 210lbs, and ride whatever is in front of me, be it drops, singletrack, or whatever. Add the stiffness of the through-axle and the travel adjustment and to me its a no-brainer. Pike stays, Vanilla goes.

aka Willy Vanilly
    I swapped from an 03 Vanilla R to a Pike Team. It has been a good swap. I seem to be kind of in between spring rates for both forks; I ran the Vanilla pretty soft and the Pike (at first) a bit stiff.

Anyway, the switch has been good. The travel adjustment is useful but not really that great on the fly b/c of all the twisting that must be done. Additionally, I feel like I have to "force" the knob to get the fork to extend if I'm on the bike while I try and change it. For longer climbs and such, it is quite useful.

Another reason I got the Pike was the slightly longer axle to crown to help slack out the head tube angle on my bike. It is just enough to make the bike feel less twitchy on the steep stuff.

Also, the damping adjustment of the Pike is nice. The Vanilla dove a bit under hard braking (especially since it was a bit undersprung for me and I didn't have a way to mess with the compression).

Don't forget you'll have to run a 20mm front wheel.

Let me know if there is anything else you're wondering about.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Went from a '05 Vanilla R to '06 Pike 426 Coil U-Turn

What I liked:
    + Travel adjust (however I've been riding at full travel recently, being too lazy to wind down the travel on most occasions, except long road rides)
    + Stiffness of the 20mm axle (much less brake rub)
    + No more bottom-out on the same drop-offs where the Vanilla did bottom out.
    + 1/2 cheaper service (where I live, that is) and better support (i.e. spare parts etc)

What I didn't like:
    - Just a tiny bit worse performance over small bumps (while Pike is super plush, the Vanilla was super-duper plush)
    - Weight increased by about 1.5 pounds
    - Remote compression adjuster snapped, but I continue riding without it

As a conclusion, I've never regretted swapping the Vanilla for the Pike, though sometimes I miss the light weight of the Vanilla.

By the way, a nice bike. I've been considering getting one, but local dealers will not import the Wraith. If I had a chance to get one, I'd be riding it with the Pike.

mtbr member
    The weight-based spring specifications given by Fox run too soft in my opinion. I have a 130RL and the stock spring was way too soft so I went to the next stiffest spring in the list. Before changing forks, order a different spring direct from Fox and try it out. These are great forks.

Don't skid
    I ddin't read all the replies so sorry if someone else already mentioned this but the Pike is a thru-axle and the Van RCL is quick release, so that is one thing to consider. BTW I ride a Pike and they rock, I have bottomed once in almost a year and that was becuase I took a bad jump and landed uphill, not good.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

Motion activated
    I went from an 05' Van R to Pike 426 Coil. No contest, the pike is better in every way except weight. It is so much stiffer it's not funny (It is stiffer than an 2002 super T). Damping is also much more controlled. The Pike has a lot less stiction than the Nilla.
    Last edited by Steve71; 07-31-2006 at 10:30 AM.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Only One Way
    Sep 2004
    Love my Vanillia RLC.. as said before run a heavier spring, I never bottom mine out and I run about 165 with gear, and go up to about 8 feet to tranny..

mtbr member

I`d like to thank to.................

Thanks guys for all the info.
    Smith, it`s a really good point when you mentioned "the same drops", it`s the most accurate way to compare gear, to ride the same stuff you used to do.Well, this damn PIKE must be really nice, cause you sure sound very happy with it. In my personnal case, i DO like the vanilla a lot, and to solve the issues i have, i thought about a firmer spring, but i think it will mess up with the rest, i mean, in my original post, i said the fork was nice except on 4 or 5 drops. Changing the spring will solve this problem? Problably yes, but what about the rest ? .Another nice thing, it`s the price really tempting, half of a fox 36.Almost convinced, thanks to you guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    review of the new vanilla 32 here..EVO 32 Vanilla Prelim Report

banned
    Just to play devils advicate.

It's difficult to compare a QR to a 20mm thru .

For what its worth. I chose the Pike for the stiffness of a 20mm hub, price and adjustability. Keep in mind all this was factored in when building the bike.Thus the 20 mm hub was built for the front wheel.

Its a tough call. A new front end and wheel build is'nt cheap. You could always sell the current fork and wheel to offset the cost.

Just make sure you make the decision you'll be happy with.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Mojo Troll]Just to play devils advicate.

It's difficult to compare a QR to a 20mm thru .

For what its worth. I chose the Pike for the stiffness of a 20mm hub, price and adjustability. Keep in mind all this was factored in when building the bike.Thus the 20 mm hub was built for the front wheel.

Its a tough call. A new front end and wheel build is'nt cheap. You could always sell the current fork and wheel to offset the cost.

As many others in this forum, i spent a good amount of money on a bike, gear and several things related to mtb, so if i spend 200 or 250 more to improve a (very) important part of my bike, is it too much ? Of course it`s money, that`s why i asked for help and opinions from all of you, but if it is a major improvement to the bike or the riding, it seems that you forget about that money and we only think it was worth it during the ride, it`s the only reason i can find to explain the hapiness of Nomad owners for a quick example.
    Carnetorta, i really apreciated the link of the new 32 vanilla, but my thoughts are on the pike, or keep my vanilla.

mtbr member
    Good news. I just got a phone call from a friend of mine. He just bought a used GT i-drive 5 , with a Pike .Next week i`ll have the chance to try it out, i can`t wait. Although feel free to post more info. Thanks everyone.