Thread: perception

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006

perception

I had just unloaded my 6.6 when an XC rider came over and asked where the downhills are around here. I was like, DUH on the other side of every uphill !
    In his defense, it's got a Maverick Duc 32 on it so to the unknowing it looks like a DH bike.
    If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot !

TNC
    noMAD man
    Unloaded?...LOL!...my first "perception" was that you had sold your 6.6. I thought...what a dummy. Yeah, it's interesting to see and hear the comments from strangers sometimes. This year at Moab I had several strangers comment on how heavy a FR bike I was riding on many of the popular trails. It's a Nomad with a Van 36 that weighs 33lbs...not exactly a boat anchor. The funny thing was how in reality many of those folks were riding a bike as heavy or heavier than my Nomad. I don't state this to make fun of those making such comments...just to point out that perceptions can be an interesting thing. Not to harp on this "AM Thing" again, but some of this does come back to how many parts just recently available are in a category of "more burliness/less weight" than ever before. Your 4lb. 6" fork and my 5.5lb. 6.3" fork are a pleasant byproduct of the AM venue. At least IMHO.

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    Yes I really like the direction these bikes are heading... My 6.6 is 30lbs, climbs like a scolded monkey and feels like my DH bike on the downhills.
    I still remember about 12 years ago when manufacturers started calling their bikes "freeride" which seemed like a reason to add 10 lbs to a bike with no noticable suspension improvements. Not the story with these bikes that's for sure.
    If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot !

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by david101372
    Yes I really like the direction these bikes are heading... My 6.6 is 30lbs, climbs like a scolded monkey and feels like my DH bike on the downhills.
    I still remember about 12 years ago when manufacturers started calling their bikes "freeride" which seemed like a reason to add 10 lbs to a bike with no noticable suspension improvements. Not the story with these bikes that's for sure.
    My NRS weighs at least that much
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Your bike is incorrigible
    hehehe... I saw some dude out on a real DH bike, full armour, getting ready to ride the trail I was coming up. I gave him kind of a strange look, but whatever he wants to do is fine by me. Just seems weird to haul a true DH bike a few miles on rocky singletrack just to have a go a half a mile of DH. (No, TNC, it wasn't like you in Moab. This was a "young kid" with TLD helmet and body suit.)

Nope, to ride this trail requires a XC rig, like my San Andreas.

Makes you wonder what another ten years will bring... 9" 25lb bikes that really and truly are capable of handling anything?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    hehehe... I saw some dude out on a real DH bike, full armour, getting ready to ride the trail I was coming up. I gave him kind of a strange look, but whatever he wants to do is fine by me. Just seems weird to haul a true DH bike a few miles on rocky singletrack just to have a go a half a mile of DH. (No, TNC, it wasn't like you in Moab. This was a "young kid" with TLD helmet and body suit.)

Nope, to ride this trail requires a XC rig, like my San Andreas.

Makes you wonder what another ten years will bring... 9" 25lb bikes that really and truly are capable of handling anything?
    a guy came into the shop today looking for a bike to just curise around and fool around on so I showed him the Kona DJ bikes. then he points to the Stinky sitting in the corner and says, "I was kinda looking at that bike". I was like then he informs me that his current curise/fool around bike is a Bighit comp. he wanted something alittle lighter and better pedaling, he wanted the Stinky. so I sold him the Stinky. just goes to show you that some people just like big burly bikes

-> SickLines.com <-
    servers you guys right. hehe

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyp
    a guy came into the shop today looking for a bike to just curise around and fool around on so I showed him the Kona DJ bikes. then he points to the Stinky sitting in the corner and says, "I was kinda looking at that bike". I was like then he informs me that his current curise/fool around bike is a Bighit comp. he wanted something alittle lighter and better pedaling, he wanted the Stinky. so I sold him the Stinky. just goes to show you that some people just like big burly bikes
    When I was in grad school, some dude rode a Bighit for a campus bike! Maybe you're right, some people just like the huge bikes and don't mind the extra weight.

As for the Stinky, I'll reiterate the story about the riders I saw a few weeks ago. There was a group of five riders. In the middle of the group was a woman riding a Stinky sporting Fox 40s. Now this was an area that is middle of the road technical. There are a few spots you could actually use something like that, but you'd have to go out of your way to find them. I usually ride my HT out there and do just fine. Oh well, didn't look like she was having a bad time. Whatever you want to ride, just so long as you do ride it.

TNC
    noMAD man

Another funny thing...

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyp
    And you working at a shop will allow you to appreciate this...some of these cruiser bikes intended for the more "relaxed" market weigh a good bit more than my 41lb. Bullit Monster T combo weighed...and many of them have no gears. I'd rather pedal a 42lb. bike with gears around town than a 45lb. gearless Electra Rat Rod.

new specialized enduro :)
    Did the cruiser bike have back pedal brakes?