mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Pending separation... 1st Gen. Nomad...

So I have been riding my 1st Gen Nomad since 2007 and am planning to part ways this next season. She's treated me well, but you know how it goes, you get the itch...

I live in northern CT, where we have a lot of techy, tight singletrack with short steep climbs, and fun technical downhills. I don't do many drops, with the largest being in the 4 - 5 ft range (rarely).

While I love my Nomad, I am looking to get back to something with a little quicker steering, that has a snappier feel to it.

I've been looking at the Pivot Mach 5.7 and the SC Blur LT2. I'd put a longer fork on either of these bikes (150 on the Pivot and maybe even 160 on the Blur) to get the BB height up off the ground a little more. Not considering carbon because I fall a fair amount on log rides and in technical trail sections.

Thoughts/opinions regarding the 5.7 or the Blur LT? Any other bikes I should consider? My Nomad is a little over 32lbs - it would be nice to find something at or a little below the 30lb mark. I'm planning to probably spend between $4 - $5k.

Thanks

usually cranky
    steeper? dont hear that often. with the current trend in geo i think that will be harder to find. i think you have two solid choices though.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the LT2 is pretty sexy. If you don't use all the beef that the Nomad has to offer, you'd probably be quite happy with one. Now that Dave Weagle is designing Pivot's suspension for them, they might be performing better than their earlier products. But it's hard for me to get over the hotness of SC.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Beer Swilling Clyde
    I just saw today a blur LT2 frame on chainlove for $850. All they had left were mediums in the skidmark color. If your the right height, it would be a steal. If you only have a few seasons on the nomad you could just swap over most of the parts, sell the old frame for possibly more then the new blur, and come out close to even! Then you could use that 4-5 grand you were planning on spending on a few pretty amazing riding vacations this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'd also look at the Turner 5spot. Very similar to the Pivot Mach 5.7, but made in the US, best customer service in the biz and no proprietary press in BB like on the Pivots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos
    Now that Dave Weagle is designing Pivot's suspension for them, they might be performing better than their earlier products.
    Who designed Pivot's bikes before DW? I thought they always used the DW-Link, designed by Dave Weagle?

mtbr member
    For a similar amount of travel to your Nomad you should try the Pivot Firebird. I went from a 2006 Nomad (which I loved) to a Firebird and it was a significant improvement. I always found the steering on my Nomad to be a little slow through really tight stuff but the Firebird is spot on. The Firebird pedals better too. I ran a CCDB shock on my Nomad and run the same shock on the Firebird.

I bought the Firebird pretty early after it's release with the plan that if I didn't like it or liked the Nomad 2 more I'd swap the frames over. I've played with the Nomad 2, including putting the CCDB on it, but it just doesn't have the small bump sensitivity of the Firebird. The Nomad is definitely the better looking of the two bikes though.

I'm pretty well sold on the Pivot DW-link frames so I own a Mach 5 as well that I find better than the 3.5" travel Giant Anthem it replaced. Pedalling better with more travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Definitely keep the Nomad and but a coil damper, wide bars and 2.5 tires on it, then slay Plattekill and Highland.
    IMHO, you'd be better off spending 1/2 your budget on carbon wheels and cranks than a new Blur, the 2 bikes are so close.
    I'm also looking for a steeper, shorter travel bike.
    I've been riding a Nomad 1 with a CCDB and TALAS for 2 years on the west coast (Santa Cruz-Ashland) and it was perfect for almost everything.
    I moved to NYC last year and have been riding mostly in the Hudson valley, and am going to build a Knolly Endorphin SL (1st choice) or SC Nickel come spring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellav8ted
    Definitely keep the Nomad and but a coil damper, wide bars and 2.5 tires on it, then slay Plattekill and Highland.
    IMHO, you'd be better off spending 1/2 your budget on carbon wheels and cranks than a new Blur, the 2 bikes are so close.
    I'm also looking for a steeper, shorter travel bike.
    I've been riding a Nomad 1 with a CCDB and TALAS for 2 years on the west coast (Santa Cruz-Ashland) and it was perfect for almost everything.
    I moved to NYC last year and have been riding mostly in the Hudson valley, and am going to build a Knolly Endorphin SL (1st choice) or SC Nickel come spring.
    So you are keeping the Nomad? A guy I ride with occasionally just bought an Endorphin this summer - he seems to like it.

Plattekill and Highland are not the kinds of riding I seek out. The type of riding I mostly like is more similar to Blue Mountain if you've been there yet.