Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    485

    Pedals: Spank Spike vs. Loaded Signature - help me decide.

    I've narrowed my search down to these two pedals - any strong opinions on either one? The Loaded are a little lighter but I kind of like the pin placement of the Spank's. Both are very low profile ~13mm.

    Last edited by trojans1993; 11-19-2011 at 02:06 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    29
    I was considered buying the Spank Spike but after researching it seems there are quite a few complaints about squeaking due to the bottom of your shoes rubbing on the exposed axle end/nut/bolt towards the middle of the pedal. I am also considering the buying the Loaded AmX Signature pedals or the FireEye PJ-Acr pedals but cant find any feedback of either of these 2 pedals.

    What did you decide?
    Last edited by Heavy_Metal; 12-12-2011 at 06:23 PM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trojans1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    485
    I ended up going with the Spikes and love them so far. I was just out on Saturday on a trail where I had a couple pretty hard rock strikes and the Spanks never flinched - they feel really solid but are light and very low profile. I also like the option of the two center center screws for super stick (there is actually 2 screws per side in the center but all photos only show one). I haven't had any issue with shoe squeak so far, but I've been using some new sticky DC skate shoes that have a soft flat bottom and fat padded tongue instead of the 5.10s that seem to have the issue.

    The Loaded pedals look nice too so I could have just as easily gone with them and would probably be happy too. I thought about it way too hard though, just pick one, be happy and don't look back.

    Spank Spike Pedals
    Last edited by trojans1993; 12-12-2011 at 08:32 PM.

  4. #4
    WLB
    WLB is offline
    It's a Mojo mang!
    Reputation: WLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    113
    I've ridden the Spikes for the last few months. Love 'em! Ride w/Teva Links, no squeak issue at all. They're solid, thin & grippy.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,351
    I'm waiting for the new Canfield prototypes or HT AEO1 Evos and I just sold a brand new set of Podiums too lol.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    The Loaded pedals look nice too so I could have just as easily gone with them and would probably be happy too. I thought about it way too hard though, just pick one, be happy and don't look back.
    Word of caution on the Loaded pedals.

    They're a set HT-Nano flats rebranded.

    A great pedal, but you're better off spending less and getting the same unit from Kona, Superstar, Fire Eye, Deity, FTLTY, HT themselves etc.

    Amazing how many companies are just buying that design from HT and trying to market it as somehow special.

  7. #7
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,748
    Ive been riding the Spikes for several weeks now and have no complaints. Light, thin, grippy, wide platform. Everything I was looking for, except cheap.
    No moss...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yardstick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Word of caution on the Loaded pedals.

    They're a set HT-Nano flats rebranded.

    A great pedal, but you're better off spending less and getting the same unit from Kona, Superstar, Fire Eye, Deity, FTLTY, HT themselves etc.

    Amazing how many companies are just buying that design from HT and trying to market it as somehow special.
    Do you have a link to the HT-Nano flats you are referring to? I found some, but they claim 17mm thick and most are heavier than the ~13mm thick Loaded pedals. I'm interested in some thin, flat pedals for my Stumpjumper since it seems like I hit the old Wellgo MG-1's a lot more on this bike than any other.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,351
    Yeah, I haven't seen a HT pedal that resembles that Loaded Components. The only thin pedals from HT are the AE01 EVO and they look quite different.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Word of caution on the Loaded pedals.

    They're a set HT-Nano flats rebranded.

    A great pedal, but you're better off spending less and getting the same unit from Kona, Superstar, Fire Eye, Deity, FTLTY, HT themselves etc.

    Amazing how many companies are just buying that design from HT and trying to market it as somehow special.
    On the HT Components website none of their pedals match the Loaded AmX pedals. The HT Air MN03AT & the HT Nano AN03 look very similar but they are not.. Also Loaded says they use 6 sealed bearings. HT pedals use dual sealed bearings.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yardstick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    505
    I might just be the guinea pig for the pedals if nobody else receives them before me. I just placed an order for a set of the AmX pedals and a 790mm width bar (I'm a moto guy at heart! ).

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal View Post
    On the HT Components website none of their pedals match the Loaded AmX pedals. The HT Air MN03AT & the HT Nano AN03 look very similar but they are not.. Also Loaded says they use 6 sealed bearings. HT pedals use dual sealed bearings.
    There are more options from HT than their own brand models, look at Fire Eye pedal. All HT, won't find matching ones on the website but still made by HT.

    Axles look identical to HT, bushing next to pedal threads + 2 outboard, multiply by two pedals, six bearings...

    The seatpost, stems and bars are catalogue parts too (identical to Superstar parts fancy graphics excepted), the Hubs are Joytech. They're charging a lot of money for stuff you'll find as low and mid range OE spec, not cool.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    There are more options from HT than their own brand models, look at Fire Eye pedal. All HT, won't find matching ones on the website but still made by HT.

    Axles look identical to HT, bushing next to pedal threads + 2 outboard, multiply by two pedals, six bearings...

    The seatpost, stems and bars are catalogue parts too (identical to Superstar parts fancy graphics excepted), the Hubs are Joytech. They're charging a lot of money for stuff you'll find as low and mid range OE spec, not cool.

    I am seriously considering the Loaded AmX Signature pedals, FireEye PJ-Acr pedals and a couple of others for their design (main criteria: pins mounted from the backside to reduce the chance of sheering off the pins & taking the threads with them with a rock hit).

    If you could show me where I can find the same pedals for "low and mid range spec" and PRICE, I would be grateful. Or if you could recommend a pedal that fits my design criteria that are of superior quality I would appreciate it.

  14. #14
    wuss
    Reputation: dropadrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    They're charging a lot of money for stuff you'll find as low and mid range OE spec, not cool.
    In my eye the AE01 look pretty nice, and they are about 30% cheaper then the Spank Spike or over 50% cheaper then the Point 1's.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    230
    In my past experience everything I have owned from Loaded has been great but their anodized colors have always faded badly and quite quickly. I like their products but I have decided to stay away because of it.

    I have been running Spike Spank bars on my FR and DJ bikes for a few years now and love them, can't g wrong there.

  16. #16
    ZEN RIDER!
    Reputation: Mt.Biker E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    720
    Life in every breath

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    In my eye the AE01 look pretty nice, and they are about 30% cheaper then the Spank Spike or over 50% cheaper then the Point 1's.
    The AE01 retail for $140 USD.

    Where are you finding them 50% cheaper than Podiums????

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E View Post
    I dont think so but I've been meaning to go bug my local Speshy dealer and see when they're coming out.

    DMR Vaults should be on your list of pedals as well. I want them really badly, 110x110mm platform is a good bit larger than all of the HT knockoffs and they're pretty thin as well.

  19. #19
    wuss
    Reputation: dropadrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    The AE01 retail for $140 USD.

    Where are you finding them 50% cheaper than Podiums????
    Saw them for 7x (maybe 79&euro online, while spikes cost over 100€.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,351
    Which site?

  21. #21
    wuss
    Reputation: dropadrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,363

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    Thanks, just emailed them, it comes out to $97 USD, wonder if they ship to the USA, and cheap too.

  23. #23
    wuss
    Reputation: dropadrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Thanks, just emailed them, it comes out to $97 USD, wonder if they ship to the USA, and cheap too.
    I just ordered a pair myself. Postage came up to ~11€ with an option to pay on delivery (which did not add to the cost). This is postage inside Europe though.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    I just ordered a pair myself. Postage came up to ~11€ with an option to pay on delivery (which did not add to the cost). This is postage inside Europe though.
    Let us know when you get them and how they are.

  25. #25
    Chubby Chaser
    Reputation: Will Goes Boing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    666
    The spank spikes are great pedals as long as you aren't wearing five ten's.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Spank Spike Pedals
    By toowacky in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 262
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 10:19 PM
  2. Spank Spike EVO - tubeless?
    By dbabuser in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 03:18 AM
  3. Spank Spike Stem
    By tabatchoi in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 05:15 AM
  4. Spank Spike 777 flex
    By AlexJK in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 04:32 AM
  5. Spank Spike 777 bars.
    By Uncle Cliffy in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 08:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •