Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Pedals... so many pedals.. but which ones to try

I am in search of new pedals to replace the stock ones that came with my stumpjumper fsr-comp 29. I have googled and youtube for the last hour or two and I am more lost than before I started.

I am 100% new to MTB. Today was the first time I went for a mountain ride. Is there a dual purpose pedal that incorporates both? Should I buy a set of each and try? I have seen good and bad reviews for crank brothers mallets and shimano M985.

What other ones do people use? So much to learn with this hobby

mtbr member
    im eyeing these

Race Face

2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    check out spank spike, dmr vault and canfield crampon

No Stranger to danger....
    Straitline defactos, best pedals ever made imo.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glarior View Post
    Is there a dual purpose pedal that incorporates both?
    What do you mean by "both"?

Are you wanting flat pedals? How much do you want to spend?

cowbell
    Right. Flats? Clipless? What style clipless? On a lark, I'll throw this out. I've been riding SPD's since....98? Maybe? - you'll have to pardon, my old memory grows hazy. I recently got tired of Shimano's premium pricing, and apparent decline in quality, but didn't really want to move away from SPD's since all 5 of my bikes have SPD pedals, and I really don't want to change pedals to whatever bike I'm riding. So I picked up a set of Xpedo pedals - SPD compatible, more float, lighter, supposedly higher quality, and much less expensive than equal Shimano pedals. So far, so good.

mtbr member
    These work pretty good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Dam really? Ditch the flats. Shimano 540 SPDs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Old clipless guy here. After about a 10 year break, I ended up trying the flats route for about a month and decided it just wasn't for me. I am now riding a bigger FS bike and doing some gravity fed riding which led me to the mallets by CB. They've got great float and give some feedback around the cleat to me through the flats. They are a bit heavier but I get the best of both worlds.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i have a set of spank spikes on my rocky mtn and they are nice and wide and relatively thin.

i did have an issue once where they cam apart on the trail, my buddy found the parts and i put it back together again on the fly and then disassembled and used loctite at home the next day.

i also like the look of those flat irons from azonic, but have never seen them in person.

now if only i could find a pair of shoes i really like locally.

mtbr member
    I like pinned flats
    Pedals... so many pedals.. but which ones to try-img-20140308-00606.jpg

I have about 350miles on these Forte Covert pedals. I can point my toes get full circle power easy sticks to my 5.10s like peanutbutter on bread....
    The new model is black, the grey is no more....Performance Bike carrys them..thin, light..hex bolt hole on the inside, comes with replacement pins..won't brake the bank....Not as SICK as thoes ^^^RaceFace^^ (me want!!) but they work great!
    Name:  Forte-Convert-Platform-Pedals-0-orig.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  11.0 KB
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Two pair of SPD compatible wellgo, one pair of shim M530, one pair of crank candy1 and finally one pair to rule them all: time MX6

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I came here to post about the Forte's. I can't endorse them enough. I was looking for another pair of flats as my pair of "old reliables" finally seized up. I got these just to have something to ride until I could get my hands on something better. They stick to 5-10s like glue, they rotate just fine and don't cost an arm and a leg. Like Burt 4x4 said, you can get them at Performance Bikes either in store or on their website. I ended up picking mine up for $60. They are better than some $120 pedals I have had before. The only complaint about them is the hex nut pins and it's not a big problem. I'd rather have pins that are replaced through the bottom of the pedal instead of a hex nut. If I mangle a pin or two on the top, I don't want it to be a pain in the arse to replace it. If it's a hex nut, the carnage will usually mangle the part I need to get to to put the hex wrench in to get it out. Yeah, a pair of pliers will work, but I'd like to avoid that if I can. The funny thing about all this is that I haven't needed to fix any pins on these pedals at all yet after about a full season of riding. It's a moot point. Great pedals and may be one of the best bang for the buck deals on the market. Way better qualities than the Wellgo's I used to run.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I went with Azonic 420's for my new bike, got to try out a set a few weeks back. So many pedals IMO are are just personal preference, most of the spikes are the same , same grip, just pick the weight you want to pay for.

mtbr member
    Fer sure MrMentallo ~ A few times I hit rock/ground/rock while pedaling..BOOM/SCRaappe all while thinking "I just F'ed up some pins on that one" ..later while inspecting.."WOW, they are all fine..WTF, COOL!!" Keep Riding!!
    Awesome!!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    What do you mean by "both"?

Are you wanting flat pedals? How much do you want to spend?
    Price 0-200 I would guess. Pedals are cheap compared to the bike which makes me wonder why they even bother with plastic pedals when buying new.

Is there a pedal that allows normal shoes to work then be able to use clip in shoes too?

Go Bruins!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    The only complaint about them is the hex nut pins and it's not a big problem. I'd rather have pins that are replaced through the bottom of the pedal instead of a hex nut. If I mangle a pin or two on the top, I don't want it to be a pain in the arse to replace it. If it's a hex nut, the carnage will usually mangle the part I need to get to to put the hex wrench in to get it out. Yeah, a pair of pliers will work, but I'd like to avoid that if I can.
    Hey MrMetallo and anyone else who cares and wants to know,

If you have a pedal with top inserting screws, pins, hex, whatever...all you gotta do is get a small metal saw before they grind down to the pedal body and carve a small notch. Then a nice flathead screwdriver will take care of the rest. Can fix any pedal that way with top insert style pedals.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Is there a pedal that allows normal shoes to work then be able to use clip in shoes too?
    There are a few pedals that offer/claim that. The Shimano PD-M324 that has the clip on one side. Shimano PD-M324 Pedals > Components > Pedals > Clipless Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Shimano has a few others, but the ones I've tried (PD-M545) just isn't very comfortable with non-cleated shoes. Wellgo has the WPD-95B Wellgo WPD-95B Clipless/Clip Pedals > Components > Pedals > Clipless Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop which I haven't tried.

mtbr member
    I've rode Azonic420's and Answer Rove's for years. Recently I rode a friends Prime which had Chromag Scarab's on it and liked them as well. All stuck well to my 5-10's well.

I'm considering some new pedal's, my roves had a hard seaons last year. They arent shot but we all like fresh part's.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Canfield Crampon Ultimates if you're going full flats. No question. Incredible grip, very comfortable, super thin, and incredibly strong. Best pedal out there, and worth every penny and more.

If you go for clippy-platform hybrids, get the Mallet DH. Don't get the cheaper Mallets. They don't last. But be aware that even the DH Mallets do not grip remotely as well as real flats. They will get you by, but I found myself very nervous feeling when clipped out. The clip mechanism feels a bit like a roller under the ball of your foot. So I stayed in 99.9% of the time, negating the benefits of the platform. But in its own right, the Mallet DH is a very good pedal. The only Crank Brothers pedals I'd use. That egg beater mechanism is very nice to get into and out of in a hurry, and it clears mud like it wasn't even there.

Time pedals are very good, but expensive and their platform hybrid Z-Strong and Atac MX pedals are absolutely worthless as platforms. Like stepping on grease with a big lump in the middle where the cleat is.

Shimano's SPD system is incredibly outdated. People still like it, and I cannot figure out why. SPDs are beyond awful if you get mud or little gravel bits in the pedal or cleat, and they feel very notchy to get into and out of. Zero float from side to side makes them hard on some peoples' knees. They just plain suck compared to newer designs.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Not anything good, honestly. i've been down that road a long way, and never found anything that lived up to its intent. Most fall FAR short at both being a clip-in and a platform.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Shimano PD-M785 for SPD. Pretty much bullet proof.

Straitline DeFactos for Flats. Uber-grippy, but god help you if you slip off a pedal and aren't wearing guards.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I also have to agree if your going for platform pedals the Canfield Crampon Ultimates are worth the price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Shimano PD-M780 or PD-M785. BULLETPROOF and super easy to grease!

I can't believe how hard I've smacked mine with no ill effects whatsoever.

Trail Ninja
    For best results, I think it's probably better to have them separate, clipless pedals with clipless shoes and flat pedals with flat shoes, as there's much less compromise that way.

If you want flat/platform pedals, these are solid quality pedals at a good price ($30-60). They're actually made by a brand called HT (their Nano series), but are made to another brand's specs or are simply rebranded.

Nashbar Verge
    Nukeproof Proton

Forte Covert
    Nukeproof Neutron

Forte Transfer
    Nukeproof Electron
    Deity Compound

If you want premium quality, you're looking at paying $100+. These are what you want if you can appreciate quality.

Spank Spike
    Canfield
    HT (EVO series)
    etc.

Things in between usually are subpar for the price (assuming street price or msrp) compared to these, considering the new trend of wanting thin platforms that are tough and have just the right amount of grip.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast