Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    im eyeing these

Race Face

I just bought these and have used them for two rides. Paired with my Teva Links, it's like being clipped in. My feet don't move!

Also, browse through this thread.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm waiting to try out spank spike. Deff much better than my zuzu pedals around the yard. And I only paid $100 for them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    You really do not know what you are talking about, do you?
    come on, kid. lighten up. you got all sarcastic, so i replied in kind. I cannot stand SPDs, and yes, I've used gens 1 and 3 of the design. I do know quite well what I'm talking about. I cannot stand either of them for the reasons I mentioned above. That's my opinion, and it'll stay that way unless you can prove to me (scientifically, if you please) that SPDs are superior in function to other offerings, you're just trolling. Durability isn't everything in a pedal. The Ford Model T was durable for its time. We've moved on to better things. It's ok to do that, even with pedals.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    I had Spank spikes on my last bike, very nice pedal, I have Raceface aeffects(cheaper than the atlus) now and I'm liking them just as much.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    come on, kid. lighten up. you got all sarcastic, so i replied in kind. I cannot stand SPDs, and yes, I've used gens 1 and 3 of the design. I do know quite well what I'm talking about. I cannot stand either of them for the reasons I mentioned above. That's my opinion, and it'll stay that way unless you can prove to me (scientifically, if you please) that SPDs are superior in function to other offerings, you're just trolling. Durability isn't everything in a pedal. The Ford Model T was durable for its time. We've moved on to better things. It's ok to do that, even with pedals.
    Kid? That's a new one.

You claimed it is an old design, which it is not. Which came across as an asinine and uninformed statement. Mud clearance, engagement, shoe contact all had been greatly improved.

It functions perfectly well. It allows adjustment of retention, which CB can not do. Side to side float is irrelevant - and platform pedals that people use have zero float in any direction. It does not destroy shoes like CB/Time (Look has a much nicer platform). There is an available multi-release cleat.

If you do not like it, don't. Just do not spew ******** for a fact.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My personal favorite pedals are hands-down Canfield Crampon Ultimates. So grippy in all the right ways, but still easy to re-position your foot. And they are only 6mm thick at the face so hardly no pedal strikes.

But if you don't want to spend that much, it's hard to go wrong with Diety Decoys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasF View Post
    yeah, I usually get pedal bite when biking up hill and then I hit a sudden water drainage ditch and it slips out, or if I change down a gear when i'm putting too much pressure on the pedals
    Ha! Yeah I hear you..just yesterday evening ^^similar situation. My reaction was like a freekin rattlesnake was under my bike LOL...Feet in the AIR LOL
    Good TImes
    Have a good weekend ride ALL
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    DeFacto or V12 is what i like, but for a light trailbike like that i would have look for a option like Vault or Superstar Nano Thru that has a good big platforms with exelent grip, but is lighter.

The right shoe is half the job. When i bought the Five10s it transformed my riding. Thought my $250 Adidas shoes had good grip, but they suck vs the Five10.

But then again the Five10 is a heavy stiff shoe, and not a light xc shoe.
    Go Big or Go Home

mtbr member
    You claimed it is an old design, which it is not. Which came across as an asinine and uninformed statement... Mud clearance, engagement, shoe contact all had been greatly improved.
    It IS an old design. From 1990 to be exact. How is it asinine to say that SPDs are an old design when they are almost a quarter century old? The only pedal design still in use today that is older is the original Look design. VERY little has changed on the SPD in terms of design. Small improvements have been made to both the cleat and the mechanism, but it has largely remained the same. Google it. Look at pictures if you think I'm wrong. But even with the small changes made, the new iterations have not fully addressed some of its initial design issues, such as mud clearance. It's gotten better, but still is not even comparable with other systems like Time and CB. My three friends who ride with the latest SPD pedals STILL have problems every time it gets really muddy. My friend with Time Atacs never has issues. Ever. My brother with egg beaters never has issues. When I ride with my Mallets, I never have issues either. But the SPD crew, every time. If they plant a foot down, it is guaranteed that I will have to wait while they find a little stick to clear the clay out their pedals and cleats, or they sit there trying to clip into their pedals over and over, using their cleats to try and push the mud and gravel out. Yeah, sounds like a fantastic design to me! SPDs have improved. That is a fact. No, they are not at a point where I would use the word 'good' to describe them. Why? On a scale of 1-10, going from a 2 to a 3 is not what I would call a good pedal.

The only thing that SPD has over other pedals is adjustable release. But I must say, never once have I been riding and thought to myself, 'dang, I really wish I could tighten/loosen my pedal release a tiny bit.' Why would I need that when even my old worn out mallets hold me in just fine?

Side to side float is irrelevant.
    Oh boy. Here's where you've shown your true colors. Float means a LOT to many riders, especially those with bad knees. My brother and I have a disease in our knees that eats the cartilage and bone caps away. We rely heavily on the ability to slightly change our foot angles during a ride to spread the wear out to different parts of the joint. That is not possible with SPDs (which I have tried to use numerous times). Float matters to many others too. You don't care about float. That's fine. That's your opinion, and I have no problem accepting that. But pull your head out and realize that if someone feels differently than you, they are not wrong. How many pro road cyclists use Speedplay pedals? Tons. Why? Precisely because they have a lot of float. That's a fact. Look it up. Trying to pass off an opinion as fact like saying 'float is irrelevant' shows your deficiency. Do you by chance have a large brow ridge and grunt a lot? Or perhaps you drive around Norcal in a flat black, lifted compensator truck with a Metal Mulisha sticker and a Dakine pad on your tailgate all year long? If so, I understand why you say the things you do. All I can say is check your local Craigslist. There might be a support group for you somewhere.

Now PLEASE stop embarrassing yourself. You struck first. You tried to Pinkbike your way over me after I simply stated my opinion. Trust me, you are fighting a losing battle. You should let it go. Or don't, but please learn to properly debate before you spray more word vomit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    I have those as well. no complaints.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I know! Can you actually believe there are people that still defend SPDs?! They must be about a thousand years old, and their grandkids help them type
    Idiotic. SPDs go literally forever, compared to CB and others where sometimes the pedal just falls off the spindle, spindle breaks, bearings blow up, etc (all problems I had with them). I can't say I've ever had a SPD mechanism break through about, oh 15 sets or so?, although I did rebuild a few knockoffs at the bikeshop (tensioning that spring is a PITA!). You can get 520s or 535s for around 35 bucks and they last pretty much forever, kind of hard to beat. For the record, the newer SPD design clears snow just fine, we had, oh, a little more than a foot of fresh snow today and I was out riding and no problems. A few reasons why I prefer SPDs besides just the reliability is the consistency of exit. With Crank Brother's pedals you rely more on angular deflection to release the cleat, whereas the shimano ones rely more on spring tension, meaning if you yank hard enough, they will come out without being deflected to the required limit that CB pedals require. Although the tension may be lower or it may be "easier" to deflect the CB pedals to exit, if you don't get enough angular deflection, they simply will not release no matter how hard you pull. This has caused a few slow-speed falls with the CB pedals because I was trying to rotate my heel inward due to the balance at the exact moment. I find that shimano is easier to get out in this situation (rotating heel inward), which although more rare, still happens. Then there's the cleats, which last a lot longer, vs the brass cleats that wear down and start creating un-predictable release events as they get too loose to stay in the mechanism, causing your knee to shoot into the handlebar, or when you hit a rock with the pedal and the mechanism releases. Also on pedals like the Mallet where the entire mechanism is not exposed, I found there's a higher chance that you'll sometimes try to engage the pedal when the "eggbeater" part is 90 degrees to the body, causing your shoe and cleat to "roll" off the pedal forward. I've definitely had this happen more than once. The 30 degree cant that the 434, 545 and 647 pedals have is a huge advantage here. It's much harder to "mess up" clipping back in, it avoids the negatives of both the CB rotating mechanism and "flat" SPD knockoffs like old azonics. Then of course the shimano pedals have adjustable spring tension.

To be fair, CB does make the best disposable pedals if you need light weight for one race, but otherwise I find it's not worth it, at least my trashed CB pedals seem to indicate that.

Hold old are chains?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Pedals... so many pedals.. but which ones to try

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Idiotic. SPDs go literally forever, compared to CB and others where sometimes the pedal just falls off the spindle, spindle breaks, bearings blow up, etc (all problems I had with them). I can't say I've ever had a SPD mechanism break through about, oh 15 sets or so?, although I did rebuild a few knockoffs at the bikeshop (tensioning that spring is a PITA!). You can get 520s or 535s for around 35 bucks and they last pretty much forever, kind of hard to beat. For the record, the newer SPD design clears snow just fine, we had, oh, a little more than a foot of fresh snow today and I was out riding and no problems. A few reasons why I prefer SPDs besides just the reliability is the consistency of exit. ?
    Do not waste you time arguing with an idiot. He does not know what he is talking about and too dumb and stubborn to admit it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Do not waste you time arguing with an idiot. He does not know what he is talking about and too dumb and stubborn to admit it.
    True.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Also spd's do have float- 3 degrees (xtr 4). If I lived in a wet/muddy climate I might use something different but I wouldn't know about that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well some SPD's go forever, but not their latest design. My wife is using my old SPD XTR's and they are in their 8th or so year with no issues. I tried the new design XTR's this year and the seals lasted less than 30 days, I sent them back. SPD's have very little float when dirty which happens in the first hour of riding in Moab. Float or a slight can't of the foot is essential when riding tech. trails. I know a proffesianal tour guide who carries CB's sell to riders who use SPD's and have prob. clicking out. With that I know an expert rider who prefers SPD's and another who uses CB's. For me the reliability of consistent release is worth a pedal rebuild once a year, and yes the first gen. CB's seals were short lived.

mtbr member
    True.
    To be fair, you can't judge all mallets by the first editions. I still have mine sitting an a box somewhere. They were terrible. The new Mallet DHs are a very different beast, with some major changes to the spindles and platform. CB is a really odd company, and I don't really like them much. I've had gen 1 mallets which were garbage. My wife has gen 2 Candys, and she hasn't had a single problem with them. My gen 2 mallets were completely problem free for 3.5 years, with zero maintenance. It's luck of the draw with CB, and I agree, and they deserve every bit of the criticism the get. If I were to go for a new set of clippy pedals, I'd probably get Times. Excellent track record, super strong, and I really like the simple mechanism. I've ridden CBs and Atacs in the snow too, and they functioned just fine. I don't see snow as being too challenging for most modern pedal designs, but clay/mud can be a different story, especially when it has small gravel in it. You and Axe like SPDs. That's great. Sure, they're are durable. Reliable too. Never once disagreed with that. I just like pedals that have characteristics that SPD is unable to deliver.

Now a note to the ever-heated Axe: PLEASE understand this. I DO know what I'm talking about. I've had PLENTY of personal experience with SPDs. I have. If you still doubt that, I don't know what else to say. You get so fired up about my opinion, so let's base it in something concrete. Let's talk physics, statics, material strengths. Let's discuss leverage ratios, material yield strengths, clearance dimensions, torques, and stress concentrators. That's where things like durability, consistency of release, etc come from, and that is where I base much of my dislike for SPDs. I don't find it offensive in the least that you, Jayem, and many others like SPDs. But I don't like them at all. Axe, that should be fine with you, but for some reason it seems to get you all heated. Why is that? If you want to know specifics as to why I don't like them, I'll give you plenty of info. If you had challenged my initial opinion in a constructive way none of this would have happened. I welcome conflicting opinions, as long as they aren't ignorant and obnoxious. But you came in with the insult guns ablaze, hiding behind the safety of your monitor. If you want to discuss this like adults, with fact-based data, you know where to find me. But if you're still looking for a fight, may I suggest registering over at Pinkbike?

Elitest thrill junkie
    To be fair, you can't judge all mallets by the first editions.
    Come on, this is a company that tried to make cranks by gluing to halves of a hollow metal design together, it was a total failure and they split in half. Their name is "CRANK" and they can't even figure out how to make cranks. You are right that if you want reliable CB pedals, you buy times, although some of the newer higher end times seem to be having some reliability issues. The SPD mechanism works great, I'm not sure why you would want to change it. What is the problem, that it consistently releases at the tension you set? That they last year after year and take abuse like none other? (people behind me have commented they saw sparks shooting off when I hit them against rocks at SoMo) That they improved the mud/snow clearance and can now "push through"? CB seems to make one or two features to "hook" you, like light weight and mud clearance, but their product usually falls woefully short in other areas, like with their pumps, kronolog, cranks, etc...

The pedal in the picture was only about 3 mo old.

mtbr member
    i have the Saints too. love them but they are a bit heavy (supposedly 499 grams)

but theyre solid, grip nice, and theyre comfortable

CRC has them for $66 right now

Shimano Saint MX80 Flat Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Come on, this is a company that tried to make cranks by gluing to halves of a hollow metal design together, it was a total failure and they split in half.
    haha, I had forgotten about their foray into cranks. That was pretty dang funny (provided you didn't buy a set, I guess). Believe me, I'm not a CB fanboy by any stretch. The reasons I don't use SPDs include, among a few other things, the complete lack of float in them. Whether bad form or not, I need some float so that I can micro-adjust my positioning on the pedals from time to time. My knees inflame really badly after long rides if I don't, and it is lessened somewhat when I am able to. When I switched to CBs, my knee issues went WAY down instantly. I also love the ease of clipping into them. I ride in an area that, when it rains,becomes incredibly sticky clay. It often clogged my SPDs to the point that clipping in and out became unreliable. When I switched to other pedals, I never really felt like I missed the adjustable release when I left SPDs, so that was a non-issue for me personally. Durability on my first set was horrible, but I got a set of the Mallet 2s for so cheap that I decided to give them one more chance. I mangled them on rocks all the time, and they held up incredibly well. No bent egg beaters, no cracks, no bearing/bushing failures whatsoever. I do recognize that I am a minority there. The new Mallet DHs are pretty good too, if you need a platform + clipless pedal for some reason, but I've only ridden a bike with them, not owned a pair. I do agree with their design changes for the most part though, especially the new radiused axles. But CB as a company does suck, and I've stopped using their stuff. About the only thing that hasn't had quality issues is their logo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Come on, this is a company that tried to make cranks by gluing to halves of a hollow metal design together, it was a total failure and they split in half. Their name is "CRANK" and they can't even figure out how to make cranks. You are right that if you want reliable CB pedals, you buy times, although some of the newer higher end times seem to be having some reliability issues. The SPD mechanism works great, I'm not sure why you would want to change it. What is the problem, that it consistently releases at the tension you set? That they last year after year and take abuse like none other? (people behind me have commented they saw sparks shooting off when I hit them against rocks at SoMo) That they improved the mud/snow clearance and can now "push through"? CB seems to make one or two features to "hook" you, like light weight and mud clearance, but their product usually falls woefully short in other areas, like with their pumps, kronolog, cranks, etc...

The pedal in the picture was only about 3 mo old.
    Sounds like theres some issues. Interestingly, I found more top dh pros use crank bros. Im sure if they wanted to use spd they would. Its not like shimano cant afford sponsoring. They're the biggest boy on the block. Don't know why, but it seems more choose CB mallets. The latest world champions are cb mallets users: Steve Smith, Aaron Gwinn, Danny Hart, Gee Atherton, Greg Minnar, Steve Peat to name a few.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 03-16-2014 at 04:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Spd's don't consistently release in difficult conditions. I 've used them in snowy trails and they froze up, clay mud and for sure they lock up, red fine dirt such as Moab red dirt and they are good for a few hours but not all day. SPD's probably have better bearings than CB and my experience with the new style XTR's was the exception, but CB's have improved and their consistent release is better IMO. I agree the Time's look good though.

LCW
    mtbr member

Pedals... so many pedals.. but which ones to try

Saint M80s... Cheap and grippy (take screw spacers out)
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    Spd's don't consistently release in difficult conditions. I 've used them in snowy trails and they froze up.
    Interesting, I've used them ALL WINTER down to about -15F/-26C and haven't had any problems. Now I do usually go for my flats when it gets that cold, because even with winter boots, heated insoles and insulation, they are heat-sinks that will suck heat away, but that only starts to happen in the single digits and colder for me, so the SPDs stay on most of the winter. We just had over a foot dump here, so again, no issues with SPDs. Not sure why you can't get them to work in the cold, but I'd suspect if you have a problem with ice like that, any pedal will be affected, as well as other parts on your bike (I've seen people's shifters freeze up due to moisture in the housing).Pedals... so many pedals.. but which ones to try-gedc0288.jpg

mtbr member
    at those temps, I wouldn't trust the older mallet spindles at all. they had sharp steps in their diameter, and they were already pretty brittle. Cold plus brittle and I bet they would fail a lot more rapidly. I mostly ski in the winter, unless I drive south to moab ot st george/virgin, so my bike rarely sees those temps.

Stand back
    Interesting, I've used them ALL WINTER down to about -15F/-26C and haven't had any problems. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0288.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	877480
    Funny how this argument is supposed to work for you with regards to how good Shimano is, but not for me when I mention how little trouble I've had with CB pedals.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast