Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Prefer flats, runnin' Deity Skyscrapers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    im eyeing these

Race Face

I have both flat and clipless pedals... I put a set of the Race Face Atlas on one of my bikes last week. Definitely the best pedal I have used.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Wow so many to try lol. I stopped by my mom n pop bike store and talked to them for an hour. Going to try crank brothers candy. They have some other ones I can try if I dont like. Now to buy shoes....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I just got the Deity Compounds...I love the crap out of em.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm in the same boat on pedals. But no clipless for me. Rode the old Primo flats off my bmx bike for a year and then went Azonic 420's. They grip well, but I generally wear a 12 wide and they are a bit narrow. I think I've narrowed down to the DMR Vaults, or the Spank Spikes, but I'm leaning toward the vaults.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just rebuilt some Wellgo pedals that came on my bike. I cut off some of the excess material and drilled/tapped some holes for some machine screws. I haven't had them out on the trail yet (because of the snow) but I'm looking forward to trying them out since they were $Free.99! A simple bench test proves that they are sticky to my shoes, won't know for sure until I ride it though.

Before

After

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am currently running HT AE03 flats and they are hands down the best pedals I have had. Downside is the price but you will not be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glarior View Post
    Wow so many to try lol. I stopped by my mom n pop bike store and talked to them for an hour. Going to try crank brothers candy. They have some other ones I can try if I dont like. Now to buy shoes....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I give HIGH marks for Five-Ten - 5.10 Shoes. I have Freerider for MTBing & Exium Guide hiking boots for everyday winter wear/work. Everytime I get them caked in mud..hose off at the end of the day...dry by fire ..next day..WOW they look new again HA!
    Realy though..Tuff-est-shoe I have ever bought Hands down..both of them..worth the money. Google "Stealth Rubber" = SCIENCE!!
    Oh and the sticky factory is amazing...you won't slip on pinned flats...if yer slipping..yer bailing anyway..I have slamed the ground as I couldn't get my foot off in time ..felt like a damn rodie! LOL
    .02c
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ooctrl View Post
    Hey MrMetallo and anyone else who cares and wants to know,

If you have a pedal with top inserting screws, pins, hex, whatever...all you gotta do is get a small metal saw before they grind down to the pedal body and carve a small notch. Then a nice flathead screwdriver will take care of the rest. Can fix any pedal that way with top insert style pedals.
    Nice! I hadn't thought of that. I have a narrow file that would work. I could throw it in the camelback without too much trouble.

Dirt, Sweat and Gears
    I just got some Shimano Saints. They are awesome.

Pedals... so many pedals.. but which ones to try-saint-pedal.jpg
    Noob on a 2014 Trek X-Caliber 7
    Dirt, Sweat and Gears - my new outdoors blog

mtbr member
    Poll on the All Mountain page place clipless vs. Flats at 65/35. I think a lot of guys would find themselves faster or more comfortable on a set of modern day great flats with a good pair of shoes... Especially the Enduro/AM crowd.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    try both, if your new I would say flats if your tying new stuff technically, if your comfortable with your trails go clipless. I ride mallets but I wouldn't suggest them for someone new to clipless. With crank brothers you gotta twist more, the angle of release seems futher to me, and the spring tension is preset. But they do loosen as the brass cleats wear. I actually took a dremel tool to mine and shaped them to release a bit easier. to confuse things more clip pedals with spiked platforms act differently with different shoes. my answer shoes are more arched than my fivetens. so they float more not engaging the spikes. I had to put in the taller spikes and take the shims out from under the cleats. I do like the extra support from the surrounding platform.

in contrast shimano and wellgo are spd..... which usually has tension adjustment. so you can set them to your comfort level. shimano also has easier release cleats. I believe there the 56 cleats.
    for the most part I would say flats.... as your learning your skills, just to take the being stuck element out of it, It can be a hindering distraction. as you develop, you can learn or condition yourself to get out of clipless. JMO. im sure many may feel the opposite, learn clipless first.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I also ran half clip/half platforms from nashbar for a while. great price great idea. the only problem is that if you tend to start preferring clip or flats, its annoying to have to take you eyes off the trail to get the pedal flipped the way you want it. but they do work for predominantly riding clipped and going to the flatside for sketchy stuff. if you go this route, these pedals are more effective with a tennis shoe sole surrounding the cleat, usually marketed at DH, or even some touring shoes. something with a tennis shoe type sole around the cleat. standard mtb clipless shoes don't engage the flats well. Theyre more like football cleats.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    These work pretty good.

Think you could also use these to fend off a rabid grizzley, or maybe a tyrannosaurus rex. Burliest pedals ever??
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Something tells me and I'm not sure what it is, that Fuglio is not a weight weenie.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Pedals... so many pedals.. but which ones to try

Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    Shimano's SPD system is incredibly outdated. People still like it, and I cannot figure out why. SPDs are beyond awful if you get mud or little gravel bits in the pedal or cleat, and they feel very notchy to get into and out of. Zero float from side to side makes them hard on some peoples' knees. They just plain suck compared to newer designs.
    I laugh in your general direction. You indeed can read anything on the internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I laugh in your general direction. You indeed can read anything on the internet.
    I know! Can you actually believe there are people that still defend SPDs?! They must be about a thousand years old, and their grandkids help them type
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk3Niner View Post
    I just got some Shimano Saints. They are awesome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saint-pedal.jpg 
Views:	780 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	876489
    +1 Made center pins longer and all the rest shorter, awesome grip with 5.10's and just the right amount of float for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by No Name View Post
    Prefer flats, runnin' Deity Skyscrapers.
    I ran Skyscrapers (V1) for a while and loved them, but hated the pins on the old version. I still have them and use them on another bike. I've been running Chromag Scarabs on my Surge. So far so good.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    I know! Can you actually believe there are people that still defend SPDs?! They must be about a thousand years old, and their grandkids help them type
    You really do not know what you are talking about, do you?

It is the third generation of SPD right now, it does not work even close to the first gen. They are popular for a reason - they are bulletproof and work perfectly fine.

If you like the Time/CB style retention mechanism, get Look Quartz.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    I like pinned flats
    Attachment 876294

I have about 350miles on these Forte Covert pedals. I can point my toes get full circle power easy sticks to my 5.10s like peanutbutter on bread....
    The new model is black, the grey is no more....Performance Bike carrys them..thin, light..hex bolt hole on the inside, comes with replacement pins..won't brake the bank....Not as SICK as thoes ^^^RaceFace^^ (me want!!) but they work great!
    Attachment 876297
    don't those things just **** your shin up though... I have more scars on my shins, than stars in the sky because of those bastards hahaha, but they're a great pedal. even in rain and mud the grip is ridiculous

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    +1 on the spds. Never had any issues with mud, clipping in, ect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasF View Post
    don't those things just **** your shin up though... I have more scars on my shins, than stars in the sky because of those bastards hahaha, but they're a great pedal. even in rain and mud the grip is ridiculous
    While riding..nope cuz my 5.10s don't slip..now walking the bike..like into the garage to park it..sometimes I'll scratch my leg on accedent..a simple brush by will cut you LOL

If my 5.10 slips it's cuz I'm crashing anyway LOL...super sticky = no slipping
    I guess if you miss the pedal with yer foot..bound to happen...I don't care about a litle pain and blood anyway..much better than being tied to my bike..for me :-)
    I'm not super graceful so crashing is part of my ride and when I go down..prefer thye bike to be..not under me or ontop of me..push bike away then proceed with slamming the ground! LOL
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    You really do not know what you are talking about, do you?

It is the third generation of SPD right now, it does not work even close to the first gen. They are popular for a reason - they are bulletproof and work perfectly fine.

If you like the Time/CB style retention mechanism, get Look Quartz.
    damn the price is right... $50 for a set of carbon pedals isn't bad at all

-=Jason=-

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    While riding..nope cuz my 5.10s don't slip..now walking the bike..like into the garage to park it..sometimes I'll scratch my leg on accedent..a simple brush by will cut you LOL

If my 5.10 slips it's cuz I'm crashing anyway LOL...super sticky = no slipping
    I guess if you miss the pedal with yer foot..bound to happen...I don't care about a litle pain and blood anyway..much better than being tied to my bike..for me :-)
    I'm not super graceful so crashing is part of my ride and when I go down..prefer thye bike to be..not under me or ontop of me..push bike away then proceed with slamming the ground! LOL
    yeah, I usually get pedal bite when biking up hill and then I hit a sudden water drainage ditch and it slips out, or if I change down a gear when i'm putting too much pressure on the pedals

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast