mtbr member
    Jun 2017

pedals- ISO flats for Trail and shoe choice

so I'm making the move to flats and I think i want a concave pedal. In searching i narrowed it down to HT AE05's, RF Chesters Chromag Contacts or DMR Vaults . I have to admit, im a bit of a WW, so hoping to keep under 400. i do a lot of climbing btw

so any thoughts? Im open to other pedals.

Also i was riding Specialized 2fo's which are flat but with the cleat cut-out. any issues with using those or do i really need to go full on flat sole?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Do yourself a favor and get a pair of dedicated flat shoes. Clip shoes are too stiff to provide pedal feel which is one of the nicest things about flats. 2f0 flat shoes are awesome, but the rubber compound isn't on par with 5.10. 5.10 has a lock on grip so if you want max traction there are no other options. As for pedals, I did the super thin thing, and still like thin to a point, but not when concavity is sacrificed too much.. The Vaults are the grippiest pedals I've owned and I've owned a bunch. Thin enough while preserving lots of concavity. Pay attention to platform size. If you're size 10 or bigger look at 105mmx105mm or bigger, under size 10 you'll want a smaller platform. It's personal preference to a point, but IMO, having the pins in the right place plays a big role in traction/support. Try as many pedals as you can. Unlike clips, pedal feel varies greatly so you can really dial that in to your taste.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    thanks!!!! any experience with the cromags or ht's?

i'll bite the bullet on the shoes. thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I had the chromag scarab. Good pedals, but I prefer I bit more concave. Never tried the HT's you're looking at.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    i was able to fondle a bunch of flats today the vaults were really nice, i agree about the scarab, not much shape to them. the shop also had Deity Tmacs, which have a ton of shape. very nice but pretty heavy. they also had the contacts. hard to say which is best. i do see how big is better though! the HT's may be too small

it seems pretty much between the vaults and tmacs-- the mag vaults are the same price but about 50 grams less. thoughts??

mtbr member
    May 2008
    chainreaction has the best prices on DMR stuff. Sometimes they have MG's for cheap. Never tried the Tmacs. They get good reviews.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    thanks again! checked that out and i am seeing the ultra-lights but wondering if they are too light

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Spank.
    T275a

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

mtbr member
    Agree on clipless shoes being too stiff to feel the pedals. Personally, I currently ride Spank Oozy and Raceface Chester pedals. I like Spank Spoons and the Raceface Aefect and Atlas pedals too.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    after trying on a few different pairs of 5-10's and standing on different pedals (incl Tmacs & Vaults) i bought a pair of Freerider Pros. nice balance of feel and slightly stiffer sole.

Review: Five Ten Freerider Pro | BIKE Magazine

Short-Change-Hero
    There is one new player in the shoe market, Adidas. They are the parent company to 5.10 so they have the stealth rubber sole as well. Look at their TERREX CROSS TRAIL (have a high top and regular shoe) not a whole lot of reviews out there but quite a few people like them, not a heavy as the Freeriders but still provide good grip.

I have a set of the Xpedo SPRY and while they are decent, light and thin, they do not provide enough concavity to me. The thing you will find with magnesium pedals that just have typical screw in pins that do not go through the pedal body is that you will loose them easily. I have been riding the SPRY for about 4 months now, have had maybe a handful of pedal strikes and have lost 3 pins already. Pretty much one you take a pin out via a pedal strike it has deformed the threads in the body enough that you will loose it easily again.

So take the step up, in price, to either a pedal that has the screws go all the way through the body (e.g. DMR Vault, RF Chester, etc.) or go with a different, hard material if you do the grub screw.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Check out the new pro. Much lighter now. I am leaning toward the vault mag and put the blue pins in. The deity tmacs are really nice though. Slightly bigger

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    so, school me on this please: the DMR Vault in mag says black 9/16" pedal axle. I am not understanding this. these are going on a 2017 yeti SB5 with Xo1 cranks. any help? i assume that isnt anything that affects the normal threading onto the crank?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    There is one new player in the shoe market, Adidas. They are the parent company to 5.10 so they have the stealth rubber sole as well. Look at their TERREX CROSS TRAIL (have a high top and regular shoe) not a whole lot of reviews out there but quite a few people like them, not a heavy as the Freeriders but still provide good grip.

I have a set of the Xpedo SPRY and while they are decent, light and thin, they do not provide enough concavity to me. The thing you will find with magnesium pedals that just have typical screw in pins that do not go through the pedal body is that you will loose them easily. I have been riding the SPRY for about 4 months now, have had maybe a handful of pedal strikes and have lost 3 pins already. Pretty much one you take a pin out via a pedal strike it has deformed the threads in the body enough that you will loose it easily again.

So take the step up, in price, to either a pedal that has the screws go all the way through the body (e.g. DMR Vault, RF Chester, etc.) or go with a different, hard material if you do the grub screw.
    SPRY pedals are junk...pony up and spend the money and buy some Canfield Brothers Crampon pedals
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RidetheBoat View Post
    i was able to fondle a bunch of flats today the vaults were really nice, i agree about the scarab, not much shape to them. the shop also had Deity Tmacs, which have a ton of shape. very nice but pretty heavy. they also had the contacts. hard to say which is best. i do see how big is better though! the HT's may be too small

it seems pretty much between the vaults and tmacs-- the mag vaults are the same price but about 50 grams less. thoughts??

Vault Mag and be done with it. They're around 370g, tough enough (don't get the Mag Titanium, axle has weight limit and the aluminum pins are pathetic - they drop at the first rock strike)

I just switched back to Vaults from a pair of Deity Tmac. The Tmac looks good on paper , has great reviews and is only a touch heavier. But something about it makes its grip inferior to the Vault. Might be the fact that the Tmac is only concave back to front of pedal, whereas the Vault is ALSO concave side to side of the platform. May also be due to the fact that the Tmac platform has zero offset versus the axle, whereas the Vault has the typical slight offset body.

Whatever the reasons, my feet (in Five Ten freeriders) were consistently bouncing off the Tmac on fast rocky sections (on my steel hardtail), but they didn't at all when I was back on the Vaults.

Now I've got Vaults on all my bikes. Won't be experimenting with other flat pedals again.

Oh, and the HT pedals? I had AE03 and AE01 before. They grip well, weigh very little, but they feel significantly smaller than Vaults. Biggest problem though is the terrible lifespan of the bushings. Your pedal will develop play, and possibly a creak, if you ride regularly in muddy conditions. And of course, they won't spin smoothly for long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    greddyvox- Done! thanks. confirms my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have been quite happy on a set of Blackspire flats, seem well constructed, light pedal, but not the extreme light, decently thin and come with 2 sets of pin, short and long. These are not the big brand name pedals at $200 likely get them for under a $100, but a super buy. I can't see spending more on a flat unless you have the need for a really large platform or a specific brand.

I am running the Blackspire pedals with the long pins with 5-10 shoes. Outstanding performance. Very grippy, to the point you have to lift you shoe to re position.

mtbr member
    May 2008

I wish Adidas would state which Stealth compound they use. From reviews, it sounds like it's not S1 or Mi6 which offer the highest levels of grip. Not sure why they wouldn't use those? Maybe they don't want to cut into 5.10 sales too much?

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    I wish Adidas would state which Stealth compound they use. From reviews, it sounds like it's not S1 or Mi6 which offer the highest levels of grip. Not sure why they wouldn't use those? Maybe they don't want to cut into 5.10 sales too much?
    Yeah probably something along those lines, or making a clear delineation between the products the two companies can use. From the few reviews I have read it seems like the rubber is on the stickier side but not the super sticky (Mi6 right?).

Silence! I kill you!
    I've been running some 5.10 shoes and these pedals the last year or two. https://www.amazon.com/MEETLOCKS-Inj...etlocks+pedals

Been working really good for me. Granted 2ft of airtime on a jump is where I'm at in li
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah probably something along those lines, or making a clear delineation between the products the two companies can use. From the few reviews I have read it seems like the rubber is on the stickier side but not the super sticky (Mi6 right?).
    I asked two retailers about compounds and the only answer they could get from Adidas was Stealth rubber. They must want 5.10 to remain the only brand name offering the stickiest compounds available. When Adidas bought them I was hoping they would license rubber compounds to other companies, but it seems even Adidas brand shoes aren't getting the best compounds. 5.10, even if it's in name only still has a lock on sticky rubber.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but while on the subject of pedals, does anyone have experience on M8020 vs M9020 Trail pedals?

pedals- ISO flats for Trail and shoe choice-xt-vs-xtr.jpg

On the pictures the XTR seems to have a bit better platform to stand on, while the XT platform dives. Is there a real life difference? If using a shoe with a little bit of flex (eg 510), will the XTR platform offer better touch to the pedal while the XT is more "floating"?

Also, I've heard the M9020 XTR pedals have been plagued with reliability issues while the XT is bomb proof as usual. Any experience on this?

Thanks in advance.
    Don't be mad, I'm totally n00b-ish.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by niplo View Post
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but while on the subject of pedals, does anyone have experience on M8020 vs M9020 Trail pedals?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xt vs XTR.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	1147271

On the pictures the XTR seems to have a bit better platform to stand on, while the XT platform dives. Is there a real life difference? If using a shoe with a little bit of flex (eg 510), will the XTR platform offer better touch to the pedal while the XT is more "floating"?

Also, I've heard the M9020 XTR pedals have been plagued with reliability issues while the XT is bomb proof as usual. Any experience on this?

Thanks in advance.
    No real difference you'll actually feel except your wallet will be lighter with XTR. Once clipped in that will be the primary contact point between shoe and pedal.

Concerning the OP's topic. I use Spank Oozy pedals with Adidas Trail Cross shoes and I am more than satisfied with the results.
    Last edited by I'm Dave; 07-19-2017 at 07:30 AM. Reason: To keep thread on topic

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I ride with 5.10's and love them. The sizing is consistent and I feel completely comfortable ordering my regular size without any deviation.

I have Crank Bros and Shimano flats -they're both on the heavy side (which is fine), but I'm going to buy a set of Deity's here soon. The Deity's seem a bit more aggressive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk