mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Pedal and shoe options?

I am just getting deeper into mountain biking and picked up a GF Sugar 1. My GF Tassajara I had Shimano SPD pedals and wasn't a big fan of my first clip on's since I have dumped it multiple times and still trapped in the pedal. The Sugar 1 has some type of clip on pedal currently but looking for what options are out there. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Clipless definitely take a little getting used to. You can also adjust the tension on SPD pedals so they are more or less difficult to get out of. As you've seen, on the mountain, you definitely do not want them too tight. There are also other types of clipless pedals out there you may like better. I started using Crank Brothers Candy pedals awhile back, and now that I'm used to them, I really like them. If I had a complaint, it would be that there are only two release angles you can set. One, I think is completely useless for mountain biking (way to hard to release), but the other is perfect for me.

Then, you can always just go with platform pedals and you don't have to worry about releasing from clipless. These are just your traditional pedals like we all had on our bikes as kids. There are a ton of them out there from pretty cheap to quite expensive. I haven't used them for mountain biking, so I can't give you any recommendations, but I'm sure there are plenty of others here who can give you good suggestions.

mtbr member
    It takes some time to really get the "bail out" muscle memory. When I first rode with clipless I was terrified to try anything too technical, even though I'd rock it on some flats. Now I don't give it a second thought, if I get in trouble, my foot magically unclips.

I think Shimano makes a multi-release cleat. That along with reducing the tension on the pedals should make for a snappy freedom.

P.S. I've used a few different brands of clipless systems and I'm happiest with Shimano.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well I am trying to get my SPD pedals back but recently divorced and out of spite she won't give me anything out of the house outside the larger basic items settled in court. I am sure they are thrown away by now.

The Sugar has Lake MTD pedals. The shoes also came with the bike but they are the wrong size but at least I have the inserts for new shoes, but what type of Pedals are these? Are they a Lake version of the Shimano SPD?

I started reading about the 510 shoes and they look like a cross between a street shoe and BMX shoe but seem to be used for MTB as well. I like the initial idea.

mtbr member
    510 shoes are the ****. I rode with SPD up to a month ago. Tried wellgo MG1 and 510 freerider shoes. The shoes make the biggest difference. I wouldn't rush back to SPD. I have rode with SPD since they came out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I will have to find a local shop that has 510's to get a better idea. I think this would be a good option for me if they work well with not just down hill.

mtbr member

Re: Pedal and shoe options?

I ride xc and all mountain style terrain. I am on 5 rides with 510s. I am quite happy. I miss the secure feel of locked over roots downhill but I am working on keeping my heels down.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    2012 camber carbon for sale.

2014 Norco range 7.1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    It takes some time to really get the "bail out" muscle memory. When I first rode with clipless I was terrified to try anything too technical, even though I'd rock it on some flats. Now I don't give it a second thought, if I get in trouble, my foot magically unclips.
    I experienced the same. Super slow stuff is going to be the hardest to acclimate to. You can practice trackstands and hairpin turns in a grassy park and if you dump it there are few consequences, unless you care what bystanders think for some reason. It does help practice the trials type of riding in a more forgiving environment.

I also have ridden downhill clipped in, and it's just that easy to unclip my inside foot for a fast, loose turn (whether I plant my foot or not) and then bam, I've got it clipped right back in after the apex. It's just practice and muscle memory.

EDIT: for the OP, I use Eggbeater pedals. The 4-sided entry is magical, you just put your foot down on the cleat and whether you roll slightly forward or back into it, you'll clip in. Clipping out is also easy. The more platform a clipless pedal has, the tougher it is to get clipped in quickly.