mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Pedal shoe combo for trail/cross country riding

Like the title says, I'm looking for people with experience riding trail and cross with flats. I do ride clipped in but have found I ride the brake less and toss the bike around more with flats. I'm gonna ride some trails this summer that will have some pretty good exposure and risk of falls and just don't feel confident using clips. So I'm looking for a good shoe/pedal combo for trail/cross riding, I like the look and reviews of straitlines and 510s but I feel it may be a bit bulky and overkill for my type of riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got a serious budget setup but it works well for me.

Pedals: Azonic Fusions... they are thick but relatively light and cheap.

Shoes: Nike WildEdge with the lugs cut off from the center forward until about 2" from the toe cap. Tough to find these shoes in stores, ebay em.

I've been running these all winter in the rain and mud of Washington state. Only time I had issues was on a 12 mile ride in 9" of untouched snow...

I like the nike's because the sole is relatively stiff, has a super burly toe cap that saved my piggys more than a few times when I've cut corners a bit too tight and hit rocks/logs. The sole is very sticky, but you have to cut the lugs as they take up too much room and dont allow the pins to bite in enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Check out the 5.10 freerider, it isn't bulky or heavy. I am pleasantly surprised how lightweight they are. I just bought a pair to use for the same kind of riding you described.

mtbr member
    Kona flats and Vasque light hiking shoes. Works great for me on everything from long XC rides to lift-accessed downhill days at the resorts.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road