mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Pedal Reccomendation

I'm in the market for a new set of pedals since I toasted the bearings on my current set. I've been running SPD's for years now probably 10 - 15 years. I've considerd switching to Time ATAC's but with 3 bikes I don't know that I want to drop that much coin on two new sets.

That said I'm likley to stay with the SPD (my other bikes SPDs are ok...)

But I wanted some thoughts on the below two pedals. I ride AM style on a 1x9 Trek Fuel EX.

Which would you get?

This is what I normally run:

But I'm considering these:

usually cranky
    i think you are on the right track.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm not a fan of the shimano "trail" pedals. I think they came from the CB "acid" series or whatever, but I've had multiple pairs of those "trail" pedals from shimano and IMO they are worse than either the one pictured above (540 style) or the the 545/647 types.

Here's some things to think about:

The mechanism is fixed within the small cage. It doesn't tilt up at 30 degrees like the 545/647. Those two pedals are MUCH easier to get back into when you are rolling on the trail IMO due to the spring-loaded mechanism that is set at 30 degrees to the cage. It's easy to get hung up on the trail platform when trying to get clipped in, and it takes a lot of force straight down, rather than the more "forward" motion you can use with the 545/647s and pedals without cages, much harder to flip/rock the pedal around with your shoes comparatively in my experience.

It's also got more space to pack with mud, but on the other hand it's a very small platform, so small that I don't really think anything is being gained. It doesn't feel like the platform actually touches your foot much You're adding weight, but not getting much function for it, even if it ends up lighter than 545/647s.

I used the 545s and 647s for so many years, so when I saw these trail pedals come out I naturally thought that I'd get some of that function with a lot less weight. It wasn't really that way though, it was a lot less function with less weight. The good news is you can get the 530 pedals for dirt cheap and there is no problem with the bearings or actual mechanism, it's the same as all the shimano pedals. They are within a couple dozen grams of the highest end XTR versions, so not too much reason IMO to spend 4x as much for XTR.

Shimano PD-M530 Trail Mountain Pedals - Normal Shipping Ground

Although they are just $35, in my experience it was kind of wrong to get them and not some 520s/540s. I'd rather have the ease of clipping back in unless it's some wild technical trail, and then I'd rather have the 647s. I'm sure there are people that absolutely love the "trail" pedals, but for me they turned out to be kind of gimmicky. More about fashion and weight than function.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Pedal Reccomendation

I ended up getting the Trail XT was only $70 shipped. I thought about what you said and figured if I don't like them I could resell them and get the regular XT SPDs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have used shimano 530's and the xt trail pedals.
    I reckon they are both easy to get in and out of.

On my new bike ive opted for the xt trail pedal.
    I have no problems with them.