mtbr member

Which pedal ACID or MALLET and why !

let me know which pedal you prefer !

usually cranky
    neither unless you race dh. imo the platform is uneccissary heft. if you want cb go with eggbeaters or candys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've owned both. The Mallets are heavy but offer a nice big platform. I really feel they're only good for DH/FR. The Acids are a better compromise.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

I do what I want
    Personally, I'd say neither. Im not a fan of CB pedals, after spending tons of time trying to assimilate to them, I put my Shimano pedals back on. I just hate their on/off feel when trying to unclip. I would get a set of the new XTR PD-M985 platforms or a pair of 540's.

However since your only asking about CB, 2 specifically, I would say the ACID's. Mallets really offer nothing extra over the Acids, you cant reliably used the platform unclipped on either pedal so might as well get the lighter, easier to clip into version. A lot of times, depending on shoes, with Mallets you need spacers under your cleats, which work like cr@p.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just bought Mallets and I have hard time uclipping. just put spacers in double up on each shoe. I'll see how they do this weekend. They are the whole reason I am thinking of going to flat's.

Not Bad
    The Mallets seem to big to me, although I've not used them, I have a set of Acids on my Nickel, Candy's on my Orange P7 and Egg Beaters on my Soul Cycles Dillinger, love them all although the Acid's are my favourite because they allow me to not fully clip in on the more gnarly stuff...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The "cage" on the candy pedals does nothing to provide any platform. I busted up a couple pairs of them in a couple of years and moved right on the mallets, skipping acids. The platform is nice and they take a beating much better than the candys. I'm willing to bet they stand up to abuse much better than acids as well.

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by squads
    I'm willing to bet they stand up to abuse much better than acids as well.
    Prove it? Pics?
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

T.W.O.
    If you are using a reg MTB shoes not soft sole with cleats then Acid would provide enough platform but the pedal itself is not really that good. Mallet weight more but it has more real estate to get the job done better.

You can either get the candy or mallet but personally I prefer Shimano M-647 they are better in every way.