Thread: pedal?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

pedal?

really like the shimano 520 pedal! question is I want a platform pedal with clipless so are the 647,545 or 424 pedals use same actual pedal as the 520?

mtbr member
    Yes, Shimano uses their SPD mechanism for every one of their clipless pedals.

Cheers, Luigi

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto
    Yes, Shimano uses their SPD mechanism for every one of their clipless pedals.

Cheers, Luigi
    Your both correct and incorrect. Shimano does indeed use SPD (Shimano Pedal Design) for all their pedals, however the only platform version that uses the same mechanism as the 520 is the 647. The others, 535 & 424, use an older version of the SPD mech.

mtbr member
    Hm, It still uses the same cleat right?
    what could be the difference? Easier access?

Gnar
    The 545 and 424 are an older version and are considered a closed body design around the axle.

The 520 and 647 are open body around the axle which help to shed mud easily.

They all use the same cleat. I have the 647 and have been very happy with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I see, didn't really know that. So the basic difference is better mud/debris shedding?

mtbr member

M-647 is Excellent pedal

Me and my girlfriend both use these. We also use the SH-56 Multi-release cleat to make it a little easier to get out on sketchy terrain.

These pedals are super easy to get into, and very intuitive to exit. They also slide off of rocks well and are quite durable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    can you ride in 647s without being clippedin? does the clip stick way up and feel uncomfortable under your foot?also looking at the atomlab quickstep pedals as they look very nice.any feed back would be appreciated!!

mtbr member
    If you want to ride without your cleats you should try the CrankBrothers Mallets, the clips don't stick up and the platform is really grippy.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnbike
    can you ride in 647s without being clippedin? does the clip stick way up and feel uncomfortable under your foot?also looking at the atomlab quickstep pedals as they look very nice.any feed back would be appreciated!!
    No, not really.

You can momentarily unclip and then clip back in, and in between have a platform to stand on, BUT that is a sure-fire way to crash in any kind of technical terrain if you are doing it because you don't want to be "clipped in" during that kind of terrain. The lack of control that you get from not being clipped in will most likely bounce you off the pedals or mean that you're going too slow in the first place for your momentum to take you over the obstacles.

The point about the platform is stability, ease of clipping in, and yes for momentary unclipping-type situations (like leaning out in a turn).

Otherwise, almost no SPD or clipless type pedals are meant to be ridden while not clipped in or while not wearing the spd type shoes. They do not grip like flat pedals, and even the mallets have the mechanism that protrudes up quite a bit, making usage as a "flat pedal" impossible, not to mention the mechanism hangs down below the pedal on the bottom side, waiting to hang up on a rock. I don't remember the quickstep pedals, but remember that these things are meant to be ridden clipped-in, and to aid with clipping-in and stability, not to be ridden as flats. You won't see anybody do this, and for good reason.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnbike
    Mostly the platforms are there so that when you put your foot back on, if you miss the clip in, you can still do a little pedaling until you get clipped in. 647 pedals are really easy to clip into. Only if I put my foot on too far forward, do I sometimes miss the clip in, and then I just do a pedal stroke or two, and when I get a chance I slide my foot back a little and it then just goes in.

On most any clip in pedal with a platform, the mechanism will hinder the grip to some extent if you try to ride extensively while unclipped. I don't recommend unclipping your foot for a tough section, because then you are more likely to lose your foot off the pedal and have troubles. Better to have a pedal that you are confident of getting out of when needed. I feel better in this respect on the 647's than any other pedal I have tried.

I use the multi release cleat with my 647 pedals, because it makes them hold my feet well when bouncing down rough rocky trails, but I can put a foot down almost as quick as when I use platforms. Some people don't like this cleat,because if you like to really throw the bike sideways jumping you may unclip, but I don't have a problem myself, even on very rocky trails, but I am not a major hucker. I get very good pull up for climbing technical climbs, and my feet stay on during rocky descents, yet I endoed the other day coming down into a wash, and landed on my feet.

mtbr member
    Question on the platforms and regular shoes.

I hopped on the hard tail tonight to go get the mail with my street shoes and non-platform SPD pedals. In this situation I'm assuming that a platformed pedal would make the experience a little more enjoyable. Am I correct to assume this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jetta_mike
    Question on the platforms and regular shoes.

I hopped on the hard tail tonight to go get the mail with my street shoes and non-platform SPD pedals. In this situation I'm assuming that a platformed pedal would make the experience a little more enjoyable. Am I correct to assume this?
    Yes, that is when the platform works out the best. I chose the CB mallets so that when I want to ride with the wife and kids I don't have to clip in for it. I agree with the other posters as well. I would not suggest trying to ride them as flats in anything even remotely technical. They just don't have the grip!