mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Pawn Shop Spec E29 comp

Found a Spec E 29 comp 2014 at local pawn shop for $650. I didn't have the cash so I put it on lay away. I had already test rode a trek Fuel ex 7 at local bike shop that I think is more in line with my level of riding but it's $2600. Everything I found on the bike is that if your not doing technical downhills it's over Kill bike. I just want to know if anyone can comment on the the Specialized E29 comp and if I'm making the right choice to pull the trigger. Can I still enjoy the bike as a beginner to MTB? Can I pull the trigger and not worry about getting my money back if I do not decide to keep it?

mtbr member
    The first 29er Enduro is more of an All Mountain bike today.

take a look here:
    2014 Enduro 29 Comp SE

it's a thread about the Enduro 29
    There are many other threads inside the Specialized manufacturer forum, you may wanna read them

mtbr member
    sounds like a cant pass up deal....wow...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'll post a pic of the bike as soon as I can. Things I remember it having is tubeless Maxxis tires already converted. Also one brake lever was avid elixir the other one was still formula. It comes with the pike fork not the fox. Thanks for giving confidence that the deal was too sweet to pass up like I thought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Realist915 View Post
    Found a Spec E 29 comp 2014 at local pawn shop for $650.
    Just a thought, if it were me I'd check with the local PD and bike shops to see if a bike matching that description has been reported stolen. Probably not, but I'd feel better knowing I did my due diligence.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairbanks007 View Post
    Just a thought, if it were me I'd check with the local PD and bike shops to see if a bike matching that description has been reported stolen. Probably not, but I'd feel better knowing I did my due diligence.
    Pawn shop + low price = probably stolen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Pawn shop + low price = probably stolen.
    Pretty much where I was going.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You guys are being buzzkills. I didn't steal the bike and I'm not going to play detective. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and I asked the clerk if the bike was clear of theft and she said I shouldn't have any problems. I brought it to my main tune up guy. All the bikes this guy works on he leaves them looking like when it left the showroom. I'm hoping he works his magic and leaves it feeling as new as possible. He did mention that a fork and shock service would also help but I'll leave that for later. This thread is about finding the kind bike that I have always wanted but would have never been able to afford. Maybe for some people here spending $3500+ on a bike seems normal but it's not the case for a lot of us. I will continue this thread with pics and updates of how it is going with this gem I found at a pawns shop.

mtbr member
    You guys are being buzzkills. I didn't steal the bike and I'm not going to play detective. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and I asked the clerk if the bike was clear of theft and she said I shouldn't have any problems. I brought it to my main tune up guy. All the bikes this guy works on he leaves them looking like when it left the showroom. I'm hoping he works his magic and leaves it feeling as new as possible. He did mention that a fork and shock service would also help but I'll leave that for later. This thread is about finding the kind bike that I have always wanted but would have never been able to afford. Maybe for some people here spending $3500+ on a bike seems normal but it's not the case for a lot of us. I will continue this thread with pics and updates of how it is going with this gem I found at a pawns shop.
    Nobody is accusing you of stealing the bike, but when you come on a forum announcing yourself as a beginner to mountain biking, and ask if you are "making the right choice to pull the trigger" then you are going to get opinions from more experienced riders who may have insight into things you may not have considered.

And one common theme you will find here is that many of us are very passionate about our bikes, and therefore have a great disdain for bike thieves. And regardless of whether someone can afford a $650 bike, a $3500 bike, or a $10,000 bike, most of us who are passionate enough about this sport to hang around on a forum like this, spend as much on a bike as we can afford/justify. Therefore having a bike stolen is a major blow to any one of us.

So, when we see a 3 year old bike that retailed somewhere in the neighborhood of $3500 being offered up for sale at $650 from a sketchy location like a pawn shop, something doesn't sound right. To me, an asking price anywhere below $1200 seems suspicious.

In this case there are three common possibilities:
    1. The low price is because the bike is absolutely trashed and someone new to the sport may not have the experience to properly evaluate the condition. Recommendation would be to not buy.
    2. The person selling the bike has no idea what an appropriate price is for the bike. Recommendation would be to take a hard look at who is selling the bike and whether this is a great opportunity or if something smells fishy. In this case, it's a pawn shop, which is a common place for stolen goods to wind up. Recommendation would be to not buy.
    3. The bike could be priced low because it is stolen. Recommendation would be to not buy.

The pawn shop clerk saying "you won't have any problem with it" isn't very reassuring. That could easily be interpreted as "the police won't come after you for receiving stolen property."

That's not enough reassurance for me to sleep at night upon taking a "deal" like this. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anyways regardless of what the haters say, as promised I'm posting this pic of MY Specialized Enduro Comp 29 I got at a pawn shop for $650 out the door. Please comment let me know what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pawn Shop Spec E29 comp-20171102_180912.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'd run the serial # on bikechecker
    https://www.bikeregister.com/bike-checker
    just to make sure. If it clears at least you did your due diligence and can enjoy the bike with a clear conscious.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Anyways regardless of what the haters say
    So contributors who gave you sound advice that you don't like are now haters? Good luck here on MTBR - you'll get eaten up with that attitude.

And I'll reaffirm that you owe it to yourself and the community to ensure that bike isn't stolen. Karma is a motherf***er - imagine if the bike is stolen and crossing paths with it's rightful owner on the trails...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Post the serial number.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Anyways regardless of what the haters say, as promised I'm posting this pic of MY Specialized Enduro Comp 29 I got at a pawn shop for $650 out the door. Please comment let me know what you think.
    "Hater". A word employed to shut down any opinion that doesn't conform to what you want to hear. Pretty much the equivalent of a child sticking their fingers in their ears and screaming "I can't hear you!".
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTerp View Post
    So contributors who gave you sound advice that you don't like are now haters? Good luck here on MTBR - you'll get eaten up with that attitude.

And I'll reaffirm that you owe it to yourself and the community to ensure that bike isn't stolen. Karma is a motherf***er - imagine if the bike is stolen and crossing paths with it's rightful owner on the trails...
    Actually they weren't haters- they are cyber bullies.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hopefully the favor is returned and someone steals it so someone else that wants a nice bike for cheap can get it.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Post the serial number.
    Cant, the original owner smacked the bb area into a rock garden, and it scraped the sn area clean off.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Cant, the original owner smacked the bb area into a rock garden, and it scraped the sn area clean off.
    Right?
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Hot hot hot..

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My brother is constantly buying camera lenses. The pawn shop guys these days know what stuff is worth, it's easy to check eBay for sold item prices.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    From what I've seen on TV all the pawn shop guys also have a buddy who specializes in exactly that thing - in this case Specialized...

Short-Change-Hero
    Pawn shop laws very by state, so depending where he is it could be legit or a "hot" deal. Really all depends on the shop.