View Poll Results: Most over-hyped or least bang for your buck component for recreational riders

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wheel Size

28 32.18%
  • Tubeless

2 2.30%
  • 1x11 Setups

12 13.79%
  • 1x10 Setups

7 8.05%
  • Carbon Rims

10 11.49%
  • Carbon Fiber Anything

8 9.20%
  • Fat Bikes

10 11.49%
  • Dropper Seatpost

8 9.20%
  • Strava

14 16.09%
  • Tapered Steerers

4 4.60%
  • Press Fit Bottom Brackets

23 26.44%
  • MTB Clothing

9 10.34%
  • Weight Saving Components (Light Weight Components)

9 10.34%
  • High End/Expensive/Boutique Components

13 14.94%
  • Suspension

1 1.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    mtbr member

This Over-Hyped Poll

Submit your vote for the most over-hyped least bang for your buck component for recreational riders. These components were the top 15 listed on the over-hyped thread.

mtbr member
    Again, this poll is intended for recreational riders who pay for their own components and bikes. The poll is not intended to call out any component as one that doesn't belong or have a role in MTB, but rather to help recreational riders who like to build up their own bikes do so in a way that may save them a few bucks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How could Strava possibly be "least bang for your buck", it's FREE. I realize there's a pay option but that's not mandatory. Say what you want about whether it's useful or detrimental to the community but "least bang for your buck" on something that's free is an oxymoron.

mtbr member
    How could Strava possibly be "least bang for your buck", it's FREE. I realize there's a pay option but that's not mandatory. Say what you want about whether it's useful or detrimental to the community but "least bang for your buck" on something that's free is an oxymoron.
    Thats a good point. It's also not a component; however, my methodology was just to tally everything listed in the overhyped thread, and Strava made the top 15. A component can also be just overhyped. It's crowd sourcing, and I didn't want to put to many constraints on opinion or the poll.
    Last edited by my2hands; 02-03-2015 at 04:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by my2hands View Post
    Again, this poll is intended for recreational riders who pay for their own components and bikes. The poll is not intended to call out any component as one that doesn't belong or have a role in MTB, but rather to help recreational riders who like to build up their own bikes do so in a way that may save them a few bucks.
    You're lame.
    T275a

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inter71 View Post
    You're lame.
    Dully noted...I'll write that down as to not forget that Inter71 thinks I'm "lame"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I actually had a hard time picking an option. I went with high end/botique stuff even though I own an Intense and a Santa Cruz. My stuff is in the lower end of these companies offerings. I would love to own the highest end stuff but I'm more of a $4-5k bike kinda guy as opposed to a $10k bike guy. The diminishing returns are brutal past $5k.

Most of the options seem pretty worth while except press fit bottom brackets. I never heard the hype behind PFBB's but I have heard people complain about them. I have no experience with them so I skipped that option. Same with fat bikes.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I said dropper posts. Because I don't have one and I'm mad at the world about it... But also I've always heard they are the single most unreliable part on any bike equipped with one.

OriginalDonk
    Dully noted...I'll write that down as to not forget that Inter71 thinks I'm "lame"
    Duly = As might be expected
    Dully = Intellectually weak or obtuse
    Doltish = Stupid or idiotic

What do you hope to gain from this pole? Isn't there a huge thread that is already allowing for written responses instead of selecting one of your radio buttons? I find this whole thing to be quite doltish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalDonk View Post

What do you hope to gain from this pole? Isn't there a huge thread that is already allowing for written responses instead of selecting one of your radio buttons? I find this whole thing to be quite doltish.
    Yes, there is a huge thread already. I started it, and in the original post I said at some point I would make it a poll. I let the thread go until someone called me out for not starting the poll, and I had to start a new thread to make the poll. If you would of read the original post before using the word doltish (I had to look that word up) you would know what I hoped to gain from it.

Doltish = someone who uses the word doltish

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yes, there is a huge thread already. I started it, and in the original post I said at some point I would make it a poll. I let the thread go until someone called me out for not starting the poll, and I had to start a new thread to make the poll. If you would of read the original post before using the word doltish (I had to look that word up) you would know what I hoped to gain from it.

Doltish = someone who uses the word doltish
    would of ---> would have

mtbr member
    I think 1x11 drive trains because the gearing is further spaced out than a 2x10 or 3x10. Closer gearing makes recreational riders stay in a decent cadence more often. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    I said dropper posts. Because I don't have one and I'm mad at the world about it... But also I've always heard they are the single most unreliable part on any bike equipped with one.
    Should change that to any Dropper Post not made by Gravity Dropper.

I am in the carbon rim group, have had several different wheels with the carbon rims and have seen a lot of them crack. The new Mavic SL's I have are stiffer then any of the carbon ones I have had. Some of those carbon wheels are $2800 or more, makes me think, you freakin nutz, brah?

Bring on the Down Hill!!
    Funny how this became an english lesson.
    I guess when you really have nothing to add, cutting up someone's grammar or spelling is the next best thing
    Last edited by Terranaut; 02-04-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014

Pole = A slender cylinder extending vertically.
    Poll = A set of questions posed to a large group to gauge responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
    Funny how this became and english lesson.
    I guess when you really have nothing to add, cutting up someones grammar or spelling is the next best thing ;-)

An*
    Someone's*

mtbr member
    Grammar is never overrated.
    Dianna- occasional rider of bikes, frequent master of the superman pose.

Bring on the Down Hill!!

This Over-Hyped Poll

Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    Pole = A slender cylinder extending vertically.
    Poll = A set of questions posed to a large group to gauge responses.

An*
    Someone's*

Fixed it just for you

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
    Funny how this became an english lesson.
    I guess when you really have nothing to add, cutting up someone's grammar or spelling is the next best thing
    Hi Terra! I've missed you pal. Thanks for stopping by to add this relevant contribution. Oh, the irony...

mtbr member

What do you hope to gain from this pole?
    Thank you, this made my day. Pedantry about the difference between duly and dully from someone that doesn't know the difference between poll and pole.

mtbr member
    Name:  wrong.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  81.3 KB

To answer the question though, I chose:
    1. Wheel size, as it is by far the most over marketed. Yes there is a difference between the 3. No, it wont change your life.
    2. 1X11. When you can get a 1x10 with nearly the same range for a fraction of the cost, 1x11 is one of the worst bang for the buck things. And if you are serious about range, go with a wide range 2x10.
    3. Press fit bottom brackets. There was a lot of hype when these first came out, but the benefits are so freaking small.

Also, I love bikes.